Main Menu

'The Pacific' by HBO

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 24 January, 2010, 04:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Fun

I'm damn maniac about WW2... so I'm in topic. I was spied all news about The Pacific, and can't wait to see this one.

W. R. Logan

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 15 March, 2010, 11:20:33 PM
Cheers for that the shutdown man, I'm downloading two HD versions of it now and hope to watch before bed. Strange as I just watched the first episode of Band of Brothers and noticed that Simon Pegg was in it :o

He appears in a couple of episodes.

vzzbux

Sky are a bunch of bastards. I was looking forward to this and realised they had put it on sky movies. They did the same to the Clone Wars series. Cunts.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Orlok

It is due to show here (NZ) next week and looks visually stunning.
Band of Brothers is probably the best TV series I have ever seen so even if The Pacific is half as good as that it will be twice as good as anything else of late.
I loved The Breaking Point with [spoiler]that maniac Spiers running across the German lines to hook up with another company before running back through again[/spoiler].
Not ashamed to admit I welled up at the end of Points.

At the risk of severe spoilers (because while watching Band of Brothers I genuinely didn't know who was going to make it to the end), here's some of the people The Pacific follows...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Leckie_%28author%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Sledge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Basilone

COMMANDO FORCES

If you have Virgin or Sky but don't have the movie channels, tune in to Sky3 tonight at 21:00 and watch the first two episodes free.

GO ON THEN  ;)

vzzbux

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 17 April, 2010, 04:42:40 PM
If you have Virgin or Sky but don't have the movie channels, tune in to Sky3 tonight at 21:00 and watch the first two episodes free.

GO ON THEN  ;)

GAAAAHHHHH. Just seen your post CF. Bastard.

VNP
Drokking since 1972

Jim_Campbell

Alternatively, if you want to avoid getting gouged by Murdoch, BitTorrent the mo-fo and then buy the DVD if you enjoy it!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

vzzbux

I will probably get this on Blue ray anyway. Don't do torrents.

VNP
Drokking since 1972

Tiplodocus

The first two parts were on SKY THREE this weekend but only as part of a free pass thing.

I missed the first fifteen minutes and must say I wasn't impressed with the first episode - it did seem to have quite a few war movie cliches in it (most aggressive and racist soldier turning out to be cowardy custard) but it nearly won me round with just the almost relentless second episode. 

It seems a tad over-written compared to Band Of Brothers and I get a sense of "War is Hell, wink, wink, but still cool really" from it which I just didn't get from Band of Brothers.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mikey

Yeah, I watched the first episode and around half of the second - it didn't really engage me but I'd had a few gargles by that stage so I'm willing to watch it all someday.

It seemed more concerned with spectacle initially and felt more 'event' tv rather than a historically based drama. Another point is that I consider The Thin Red Line film (Terence Malik) and book to be magnificent, so perhaps expected the show to have a similar tone.

M
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.