Main Menu

"The things i do for love" Game of Thrones is here

Started by Radbacker, 18 April, 2011, 02:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radbacker

well through various means (or if you have HBO in the US) the first episode is here. First i'll say it looks very good, the production design is top (as you'd expect from HBO) and the acting is pretty spot on. The writing is top notch and little things that other shows miss they do (the Wolf pups aging after passing of time) making it much more ebnjoyable than US network dross (like The Event where there was a tense 2 or 3 hour standoff between the government and the aliens meanwhile b plot has time to do a whole heap of stuff, get a private jet and fly to France now i dont know my geography but isn't it a longer flight than 3 hours frpm US to France?)

And if you've read the books first episode ends exactly where it should.
Strongly recomended.

CU Radbacker

klute

Quote from: Radbacker on 18 April, 2011, 02:11:50 PM
well through various means (or if you have HBO in the US) the first episode is here. First i'll say it looks very good, the production design is top (as you'd expect from HBO) and the acting is pretty spot on. The writing is top notch and little things that other shows miss they do (the Wolf pups aging after passing of time) making it much more ebnjoyable than US network dross (like The Event where there was a tense 2 or 3 hour standoff between the government and the aliens meanwhile b plot has time to do a whole heap of stuff, get a private jet and fly to France now i dont know my geography but isn't it a longer flight than 3 hours frpm US to France?)

And if you've read the books first episode ends exactly where it should.
Strongly recomended.

CU Radbacker

Ive yet to read the books as has the wife, we both enjoyed the first episode,and already looking forward to the next episode.

[spoiler]The last minutes of the episode really shocked the wife more than myself but what an ending!![/spoiler]
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

Keef Monkey

I'm well looking forward to this, fantasy normally leaves me pretty cold but a friend has been talking this up a lot. He says the overarching plot is so massive and the characters so good that if they pull it off on telly it'll be like a fantasy The Wire. That's sold it to me.

the shutdown man

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 19 April, 2011, 01:02:17 PM
it'll be like a fantasy The Wire. That's sold it to me.

I've heard it called the Sopranos in Middle Earth. Either way, the first episode has got me hooked.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Jim_Campbell

Hmm. A lot to like here, but it's setting off HBO alarm bells -- every HBO show I've tried to watch so far has driven me off with its efforts to be oh-so-fucking-shocking when all I really want is some fucking plot and maybe, just maybe, some characters I could give a shit about.

Thus far, Six Feet Under, Deadwood and True Blood have all failed this basic requirement. I'd really like this to be the one to that does better.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mardroid

There is some pretty shocking stuff in the books, so HBO may not be adding stuff specifically for shock value.*  They may have been more willing to show that stuff than other channels, which is a bit different, although I suppose the affect on the viewer is the same.

As for plot, well as long as the series is true to the book, you'll have that in plenty!

Anyhow. I love the books. Still waiting for the new one. I hope I get a chance to see  this series too. I don't think I can get it on Virgin Media unfortunately.

*Spoiler (just in case you haven't reached this bit in the series yet.): [spoiler]If we're talking about sexually explicit incest between the Lancaster twins, that's right there in the books.[/spoiler]

Mardroid

Radbacker

gone down well in the US and already green lit a second season, woohoo.
Oh Mardroid the new book is supposed to be out in June i think, A Dance with Dragons.

My housemates girl friend absolutely loves this and she does not like Fantasy/Scifi in general I think this is going to be a big one hopefully will get  a full seven seasons (supposidly one per book) and not be cut short like so many HBO shows (Carnivalle, Deadwood, Rome).

CU Radbacker

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 April, 2011, 10:55:32 PM...Deadwood... failed this basic requirement.

Campbell is dead to me now (the cock-sucking cocksucker). 

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 April, 2011, 09:14:11 AM
Campbell is dead to me now (the cock-sucking cocksucker). 

I'll happily concede it may have been the best TV series ever, but I think I got to the second or possibly third episode and all that seemed to have happened is a succession of dirty, smelly-looking people had sworn (albeit inventively) at each other and I really, really didn't give a shit what happened to any of these people. Just didn't feel like a worthwhile investment of an hour of my life every week...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

BPP

The first bit in the woods was excellent (looked like Ukko in that skull-cap thingy) but the rest of it was wooden and bobbins imho. Of course that could be alot of furious backgrounding going on in the first episode and I'll happily hang in there but certainly don't think its deserving of all the hype.

The 'beach' scene followed by 'tough night?' did get a laugh tho. 
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Mudcrab

Hugely enjoying this, episode 2 didn't disappoint. I've not read the books but it feels like a fantasy epic for sure. I can now see Sean Bean as Lord Borric from The Magician.

Characters are very good for the most part, but the stars of the second part were the dire wolves. Just awesome. [spoiler]And sad too  :'([/spoiler]

Oh no, my qq has given away a clue to the spoiler  :lol:
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

BPP

quickly moving into the 'watching it because the other half is' dept. Episode 2 seemed awful slow - an assassination attempt, a comedy dwarf and a 'will be important in the future' kids squabble. Was there more to it than that? Less boobs too. Can't see the general public keeping with it. 
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: BPP on 28 April, 2011, 10:49:26 PM
quickly moving into the 'watching it because the other half is' dept.

I get that. There's one or two shows I would have given up on long ago if it weren't for the missus. Dexter, for instance. I lost interest in the second season. But if I hadn't kept watching it with the girlfriend I probably would have missed the wonderful John Lithgow series. Why isn't that man on telly more often?
You may quote me on that.

Radbacker

saw episode 5 last night, there's stuff in this that i really didn't think I'd ever see on TV [spoiler]The mountain beheading his horse because he lost a joust! a 6year old breast feeding!(the sky cells look amazingly terrifying)  Renly and the Knight of Flowers preying together (which i totally didn't get in the book even thought I've read them all at least twice), the Imp totally caving in a dudes skull with a sheild[/spoiler]
Definatly the best episode yet and bodes well for the second half of the season.  I quite like how they are fleshing out some of the characters that dont have anything to do till book two (Theon). 

CU Radbacker