questions, firstly you said that  when you reached 2000ad you told us that
you ,you would  change the title to 3000ad!Secondly how come your head
changed shape!
FROM A (hopefully!) squaxk de thargo

SPLUNDIG VUR THRIGG

MATTHEW JAMES CANNER

Link: mat the deathbringer

Jayzus B. Christ

I don't think The Mighty One actually posts messages here, but I'll try and help you out.
1) 3000ad? It just doesn't sound the same, and it wouldn't fit the 'fan-style' logo as neatly as 2000ad. 2000ad may sound old-fashioned now, but that's the comic we've all grown up with.
2) I feel like a complete comics nerd here, but Tharg goes through a process called 'the Shedding' once every few years, which changes his appearance, sometimes dramatically.

Why not write to the nerve centre and speak to the man himself? I'm sure he's be chuffed at the idea of a new, young reader (Grud knows there's precious few of them).
Bye, now

Devons Daddy

hi there
wow this makes me hope my son some day writes a message like this, reading your dads comics!.
he must be proud.

really you should use the link on this site to write into tharg,
i would like to think he would resond to your message. many of us where your age when we first began reading.
as for your questions i concur with the above.
3000ad we toyed with for ages, even one particular scene in mean arena had a copy of 3000ad on the shelf.
only up to the 500s, wow you can not even begin to imagine what you have to look forward too.
enjoy the ride,.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Leigh S

-----------------------------------------------
only up to the 500s, wow you can not even begin to imagine what you have to look forward too.
enjoy the ride,.
--------------------------------------------

The gradual (to the late 600's), then rapid (700 onward) decline in everything thats good about the comic he's been reading so far? ;)

Don't worry though, it'll start pick up around about the 950/1000 mark....  

Trout

"I don't think The Mighty One actually posts messages here"

He bloomin' well does, you know.

On Friday, he congratulated Oddboy on his wedding.

Come on Green Bonce, do the right thing and give the lad a hello!

Perhaps he spends his weekends on Pluto?

- Trout

Malchidiel

If Tharg had changed the name to 3000ad there would have been all the fuss over what to call it in the year 4000 (George Orwell never had this trouble) Remember, don't give in to peer pressure, reading comics is not childish and Tharg is really real just like Santa. Welcome on board Earthlet, enjoy the ride.

Jayzus B. Christ

'The gradual (to the late 600's), then rapid (700 onward) decline in everything thats good about the comic he's been reading so far?'

Yes, all he has to look forward to are trash like Slaine the Horned God, Tale of the Dead Man / Necropolis and Zenith Phase 4. Might as well throw those issues out, really.

Leigh S

You missed out the Chopper too!  Nah, theyre was indeed some great stuff during most of 2000s 'dark ages'.  I'd rate the 650 relaunch as one of the best periods in 2000s history - Slaine, Deadman, Chopper (though all too soon ruined by the emergence of Fleischer and others).  And if he's got the Megazines to read, he's still got America to look forward too.  Still the sheer volume of stuff that 2000 was pumping out at this time, allied to the exodus of many of the 'greats' to do stuff like Toxic meant the ascendance of Fleischer and Millar....

And Button Man - dont forget Button Man.....

almighty mat

++The gradual (to the late 600's), then rapid (700 onward) decline in everything thats good about the comic he's been reading so far? ;)++

Flipping heck (language toned due to the presence of nippers on this thread), why don't you nick his sweets while you're at it? Although smug and oh-so-superior little comments about an admittedly dodgy period of the comic often pop up on this board, is there really any reason to insert them here?

mat

Tharg

Borag Thungg, Earthlet Matthew,

I am delighted to hear you have discovered the thrill-power of 2000 AD from your dad's collection of early progs, and always happy to welcome another reader to the esteemed ranks of the Squaxx dek Thargo.

In answer to your questions, I decided to retain the name 2000 AD as on many of the planets where we publish the Galaxy's Greatest Comic, they have not yet reached the year 2000 (and in fact one of the small planets on the other side of Sirius B is currently counting backwards!). To change the name would confuse many of the space-faring races that drop in to newsagents on Earth to pick up their weekly dose of thrill-power before heading off into the darkest depths of the universe.

As to the shape of my head, after a certain amount of worried examination in the Nerve Centre mirrors, I can assure you that my head is still the same shape as it always was. Like all great statesmen, I have been portrayed by a number of legendary artists, and each of them will make their own interpretation of my Betelgeusian good looks and benevolent character, so there will be slight differences between portraits.

I hope you will continue to read and enjoy the many thrills 2000 AD has published in the past 25 years.

Splundig vur Thrigg!

Tharg.

P.S. Please accept my apologies for not replying sooner - I was busy programming the Watcher's address into Mek-Quake.

Trout

Can't I get sent to Mek-Quake too? I've always wanted his autograph.

Green bonce.

- Trout

Leigh S

Ulp!  I suppose it's too mlate to point out that all thrills are equal under The Mighty One's gaze?  

No...No, get Back - not THE ATOMIC GRINDEAAAARRRRGH!!!!!

Devons Daddy

there you go. the alien himself no less. has again shown he comes here when he can,  
he answered the young man,as he should.
as suggested earlier, tharg and santa are up there together,
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!