Main Menu

My evil plan of the day.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 30 October, 2002, 09:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

Today I am forcing Puppies to read 'Return to Verdus!'.

Evil enough you might think. But yesterday I let them read 'Verdus' and they are expecting something of that standard!

Bwa-ha-ha-ha!!!! Nothing in the world can stop me now!!

'Verdus'. Isn't it great. Isn't it one of the most perfect examples of a collaboration between writer and artist in the history of comics? The ingenuity and imagination put into each design of each robot, the memorable characters, the playful narrative voice, the plot strong enough to sustain 22 episodes, the thrills, the wit, the humour, the wonder, the bravery to allow dark and threatening aspects of the story to exist side by side with the light and frivolous, the clear connection to that particular brand of literature exemplified by Rector Swifts book known as 'Gullivers Travels' and Lewis Carrolls 'Alices Adventures in Wonderland', the fact that it's a perfect strip to be read by kids and grown-ups alike.

Quite simply one of the best things 2K has ever produced. Among the very, very finest works that John Wagner and Ian Gibson have produced (and considering their back-catalogue that is not light praise...). Why isn't this in a collected edition yet? Why isn't there a copy in every library in the land? Why isn't this on the national curriculum?

Matt

Reckon Verdus should be on the Megs reprint list at least. Can't understand why The Beast of Blackheart Manor has being reprinted so many times it's untrue and yet this classic hardly ever sees the light of day. Get it sorted!

davidbishop

Well, I suspect it's all a matter of size. The Beast of Blackheart Manor is a perfectly manageable 39 pages, while Verdus is a whopping great 127 pages. IIRC, I almost reprinted TBoBM in my last Megazine as editor (4.08) - but it was one episode too long. The Visible Man got the slot instead.

davidbishop

GordonR

>>while Verdus is a whopping great 127 pages

Perfect for a Titan collection then, wouldn't you think?

Quick, change the credit boxes on all the film pages and alter the story credit details in the Profiles section here.  Change 'John Wagner' (or was it TB Grover?) to 'Garth Ennis, and - hey presto - it'll be in the shops by Chrimbo!

karne

If you were really evil you'd have forced them to read Return to Verdus three times and told them it was a trilogy.

satchmo

I've got Strontium Dog and Robo Hunter lined up to read next when I finish Harry 20.Been looking forward to reading Verdus all week...

Devons Daddy

i think taking into consdieration we missed the greastest excuse you could want we should reprint foot ball crazy. in time for the european cup. june 2002 should have let it see the light of day once again.
come on lets gets them PC activists up in arms,.
BLAKKEE PENTAX, it deserves to be reprinted.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

HiEx

Arghhh...No reprint of Verdus, I just bought the original two Titan volumes from Wake at an exorbitant cost....OK, it was reasonably priced but still.

HiEx

Matt

Wake seems to have shed loads of duplicate 2000AD stuff. Do you reckon he's an over zealous collector who buys at least 2 of everything or is he an evil sweatshop owner that has hundreds of Korean orphans knocking out fake 2000AD merchandise from his back bedroom?