Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 18 March, 2020, 02:23:52 PM
Beasts Within (2015) is the only current Jaegir trade. It compiles Strigoi, Circe, Brothers in Arms and Tartarus. I suppose you could roll in the rest (+50p) and you hit the low end of the required page count.
There's another two stories (60 pages) which aren't up on Barney yet.
We never really die.

bernardsfingers

My copies of 65/66 arrived today with the 5th premium figure (all in the same box but seemed to be packed securely & with suitable padding in the box to stop everything moving around). The figure of Judge Dredd is actually really good & I'm quite impressed.

Strangely, the delivery note that came in the box said I would be charged £15.99 for some reason rather than the standard £22.98 for the premium subscription - it says Parcel amount due £22.98, Total amount due £15.99. I'm not sure why this is. Hachette still haven't taken payment for the previous delivery of 63/64 either so God knows what this all means.

IndigoPrime

65/66 here also, in a card envelope that looked like someone had given it a serious kicking. I took photos, expecting another replacement request was imminent. Somehow, the books are both fine. I've no idea how. (There was an actual chunk missing from the envelope.) That Strontium Dog book is a bit chunky, isn't it?

Also, my delivery note said I'd be charged 40 quid, for some reason. So I need to check on that. Again.

bernardsfingers

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 March, 2020, 11:11:26 AM
65/66 here also, in a card envelope that looked like someone had given it a serious kicking. I took photos, expecting another replacement request was imminent. Somehow, the books are both fine. I've no idea how. (There was an actual chunk missing from the envelope.) That Strontium Dog book is a bit chunky, isn't it?

Also, my delivery note said I'd be charged 40 quid, for some reason. So I need to check on that. Again.
Ha ha yeah it's about twice the size of the accompanying Slaine book (or is that one particularly slim?)

Anyway, it seems that Hachette's accounts have gone slightly screwy. I've since checked my Hachette account & that shows standard payment of £22.98 is due.

I had actually contacted them a week or so back to ask about the fact they hadn't taken the payment for 63/64 & was told that a payment of £15.99 was due to be taken shortly. This confused me (obviously) & I asked them to confirm that I wasn't somehow being charged for the covers special (which I have asked not to receive several times previously) but they said no, it's for the latest delivery. Now the books have arrived & I am indeed being charged £15.99 it's unclear what I'm actually being charged for.

Now I'm hoping they take a payment - whether it's £22.98, £15.99 or even £45.96 (ie the actual amount I am due to pay for the last 2 sets of books) - as don't want to miss several months payments due to their incompetence & then hachette suddenly try to take the while lot in one go.

bernardsfingers

They've taken £15.99 from my account so I'm just going to assume they know something I don't.

Dark Jimbo

Well I was going to skip this final Rogue book, but I'm really glad I didn't! Obviously Cinnabar is a little masterpiece, and I can't believe I now have it in hardback! - but Rennie's Rogue run left me a bit cold way back when it ran in the prog. No idea why - it's great fun! Enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to, and it all looks sublime. A great inclusion is What If Gunnar Survived the Quartz Zone Massacre? , a really powerful little six-pager that reinforces that Gunnar is probably the best Rogueverse character.
@jamesfeistdraws

AlanProut

I've just finished this weeks issue (Ampney Crucis Investigates) and I really enjoyed this one, I like a lot of these newer stories, this along with Kingdom, Stickleback, Zombo and Shakara have been some of my favourites so far.

IndigoPrime

If you get replacements from Hachette, keep an eye on your direct debits. The company just charged me for copies of 61/62 sent to replace the ones sent in a bin bag. I look forward to the next six months of trying to get that 20 quid back.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: AlanProut on 25 March, 2020, 05:03:08 PM
I've just finished this weeks issue (Ampney Crucis Investigates) and I really enjoyed this one, I like a lot of these newer stories, this along with Kingdom, Stickleback, Zombo and Shakara have been some of my favourites so far.

This is good to hear. Are you a new reader Alan Prout. If you listen too much to Faciebook you get the impression that 2000ad was sooo much better in the day - which is absolute poppycock. Don't get me wrong it was wonderful back in the day but that in no way reduces its current wonderfulness.

leethomson

To be honest, I do find myself skipping a lot of the early 80s stuff. I wasn't a reader back then and it doesn't hold much nostalgia value for me. They got away with a lot within the bounds of what was acceptable, but the stories from the late 90s onward are so much more sophisticated. Comics and TV storytelling came on in leaps and bounds during this period, once creators were able to start thinking long-form with regards to storytelling.

IndigoPrime

FWIW, a very fast response on Facebook to being double charged. An apology and then asked whether just crediting against the next set of books would be acceptable. Which I'm fine with — although let's see if that happens!

AlanProut

I was always aware of 2000AD when I was growing up but never really read much of it, then I started to read the Judge Dredd Mega Collection and after that ended started on the 2000AD Ultimate Collection. When I said I really like the newer stories that doesn't mean I dont enjoy the older stuff too, Halo Jones, Nemesis The Warlock, Strontium Dog, ACE Trucking have all been enjoyable too, actually I've enjoyed every issue so far even Slaine which a lot of people don't like but I think it's ok.

Colin YNWA

Well its great to hear newer readers engaging with the newer material and that Ultimate Collection is pulling folks in. Both AlanProut and Leethomson have refreshing perspectives on this stuff and so welcome aboard folks. Have fun with the thrills.

The Monarch

no ampney in my newsagent not really shocked though only thing i got this week was the prog

Jade Falcon

I really wish we had an idea what the extension holds, I've got potential money problems coming up and I'd like to know if it's worth continuing.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov