Main Menu

Old Eighties Animation Film

Started by monty--, 11 November, 2005, 03:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monty--

Reading another thread about an old eighties programme got me thinking..

Recently, me and my family have been talking about an old animation film for kids that they used to show at Xmas in the early eighties. (Bet half of you click off now :) )

It was animation like...I dunno. Like Morph from Take Hart. Except this one was a film about a journey into the Realm of Fire to meet some sort of Fire King and then a journey into the Ice Realm to meet the Ice Queen. Anyone have the slightest clue to what I'm talking about? If anyone knows, please post because I'd like to buy it as a Xmas present for my family. Thanks.

Queen Firey-Bou

sounds good except the 'like morph' bit. sorry havent a clue.

and along those lines, who ever saw the original animated Dr Suess ones ? there was a fantastic grinch stole Christmas & a completely insane one with an elephant in, beautiful crazy sixties drawings. what were they called ?

nxylas

>there was a fantastic grinch stole Christmas

Boris Karloff sings! No, really!
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Steve Green

How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Horton hears a Who - both directed by Chuck Jones (who directed a ton of Warner Bros cartoons)

No idea about the stop-motion 80's film though, it doesn't ring any bells.

Cheers

Steve

Queen Firey-Bou

insane stuff !

tell ye mad another one, its 3d stop motion, the easter bunny, think its narrated & sung by ....can't remember or find it, bing crosby or fred astair, its kind of awful & yet really grows.

http://images.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.943thepoint.com/auction05/auctionfront/drseusscell.jpg">

CraveNoir

You sure it wasn't 2D animation?

The plot sounds like Bakshi/Frazetta's "Fire & Ice" which has just come out on DVD in the States.

Link: http://university.imdb.com/title/tt0085542/" target="_blank">Fire & Ice

The Enigmatic Dr X

I rememebr the stop motion thing too. For some reason, I think Charles Dickens (or Darwin!) was a character. It was Victoriana, almost early steam-punk. The flew to the far away land in a large blue steam spherical steam ship.

(Yes, I realise this post makes me sound as if I am on drugs)
Lock up your spoons!

monty--

Yeah! I think that's it! That steam ship is ringing bells! Any one know what its called? Thank You!!!

monty--

Oh, no it's not. I've just seen the trailer. That's like a cartoon. The film I mean is like the animation used in 'Wallace and Grommit' but it's far more darker.

Still, thank you for your time! I appreciate it.

Grant Goggans

I think that's Thurl Ravenscroft who did the singing, and not Karloff...

--Grant

DavidXBrunt

Ah, now this is all ringing bells for me. I'm thinking it might be 'The Fool of the world' or something along those lines. If it's what I think it is I don't know the title but it was made by Cosgrove Hall - makers of Dangermouse and The Wind in the Willows.

A quick google of Fool, Cosgrove, and Hall might do the trick.

And whilst we're at it does anyone remember Flight of Dragons the sword and sorcery epic that used to get shoved in the schedule when cricket was rained off?

Lord Running Clam

"And whilst we're at it does anyone remember Flight of Dragons the sword and sorcery epic that used to get shoved in the schedule when cricket was rained off?"

Was that the one where they defeated the baddie with math?

The Amstor Computer

I loved Flight of the Dragons when I was wee - I remember making up some kind of boardgame based on it (in between building Lego recreations of the cablecar scenes from Where Eagles Dare...)

The Amstor Computer

David, do you mean this:

Link: http://www.toonhound.com/fool.htm" target="_blank">The Fool of the World?

DavidXBrunt

Yes, that was what I meant and it's clearly not what was being described.

Flight of Dragons has bookends in the 'real' world section with a boardgame reflecting the game.

I watched it again a few years ago and it's slower than I remembered, and darker but with the same lovely theme tune and the barking mad section in the middle where the science of Dragon flight is explained.

It was out on video from Warner back in 2000 and turned up cheap in Woolies.