Main Menu

On telly this week

Started by Emperor, 24 December, 2011, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

After five long years, True Detective is back for a fourth season, Night Country. We open with a high shot of an icy wilderness. The captions proclaim, ALASKA. 150 MILES NORTH OF THE ARCTIC CIRCLE. DECEMBER 17. THE LAST SUNSET OF THE YEAR. This (I'm a sucker for those far-off romantic wastelands), and the first scene, draw me in. Then the opening titles roll and I see Jodie Foster's in it so I'm hooked. Great characters and lots of lovely story later, I know I'm going to enjoy this. Which is great, as the last episode of the excellent Fargo is due and this will be a worthy successor for my attention.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 09 January, 2024, 05:03:45 PMI've come to accept Gatiss is just a bit shit at these and gave it a wide birth, spent this Christmas watching the Lawrence Gordon-Clark run instead by way of the new blu-ray sets.

A wise move, and you've reminded me that I still have to pick up that 2nd Blu-ray set.

I really want to support Gatiss for keeping this tradition going, not to mention quality material he has produced like Crooked House and The Mezzotint, but yeah - they don't make 'em like they used to eh?

Barrington Boots

Anyone else watch Gladiators on Saturday?
You're a dark horse, Boots.

The Legendary Shark

Now that True Detective has wrapped up (in a most satisfactory way), I've cast about for a new weekly fix and found it in Constellation. It's a sci-fi action thriller with an evolving feel of Counterpart about it, but with a Jonathan Banks instead of a J. K. Simmons. Also, The Bad Batch is back! Woo-hoo!

My eyeballs runneth over.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

broodblik

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 February, 2024, 11:39:17 PMNow that True Detective has wrapped up (in a most satisfactory way)

Yip for me too. The middle part of the season felt like it spinning its wheels. The last episode linked everything and the whole thing made a lot of sense (you started feeling lost in the middle episodes it felt to surreal almost mystical)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Doomlord66

Quote from: broodblik on 22 February, 2024, 05:18:58 AMYip for me too. The middle part of the season felt like it spinning its wheels. The last episode linked everything and the whole thing made a lot of sense (you started feeling lost in the middle episodes it felt to surreal almost mystical)

Is just me that thinks alot of these 8 episode TV series seem a bit dragged out and could be better if they were only half as long? (Not singling this one out in particular as I haven't watched it yet)

broodblik

What you are saying is quite true most of the series that is between 6 - 8 episodes could have been told in 4 episodes rather.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.