Main Menu

Alan Moore on Radio 4

Started by radiator, 29 June, 2010, 02:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Professor Brain Cox, Alan Moore and Jonathon Ross (among others) talk about science and science fiction on the BBC Radio 4 show The Infinite Monkey Cage:

Halo Jones and Thargs Future Shocks get a mention...

Listen on iPlayer:

http://beta.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00strwf/The_Infinite_Monkey_Cage_Series_2_Episode_3

Richmond Clements

Listened to this yesterday.
I could honestly listen to Moore all day- he's great. Loved the bit about the 'rubbish science' in Halo Jones and Prof Cox's reply...

The Doctor Alt 8

Thanks for sharing
There are lots of interviews with Alan Moore on You Tube

But I'm sure you already knew that

Dandontdare

My flatmate has a DVD "The Mindscape of Alan Moore" which I've ben intending to watch for some time - Anyone seen this? Is it any good?

john_s

Yeah - it's fascinating - especially if you're an Alan Moore fan (and who isn't?).  Watch it: you're in for a treat!

TordelBack

Wow, that Infinite Monkey Cage episode was great.  As usual Moore and Ross really know their stuff, and it's always refreshing not to have to look at Brian Cox's grinning fizziog to enjoy his enthusiasm.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 July, 2010, 03:30:28 PM
Wow, that Infinite Monkey Cage episode was great.  As usual Moore and Ross really know their stuff, and it's always refreshing not to have to look at Brian Cox's grinning fizziog to enjoy his enthusiasm.

Well, I think it might have been you who observed that hearing a group of people knowledgeable on a shared subject speaking enthusiastically about that subject is almost invariably entertaining, regardless of whether you're interested in the subject at hand. See (hear) also: Gardeners' Question Time, In Our Time and Test Match Special when it rains.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

House of Usher

Great programme. Very entertaining. Jonathan Ross isn't quite right about Food of the Goods. Not really anything to do with genetic mutation. The active ingredient in the book was nutritional, so is more analogous to injecting animals with growth hormones. But it's great to hear people on the radio talking about this stuff and making connections between science, art and society.
STRIKE !!!

radiator

Quoteit's always refreshing not to have to look at Brian Cox's grinning fizziog to enjoy his enthusiasm.

I detect a little jealousy there....  :D

Was just watching The Mindscape of Alan Moore - it's a little po-faced to be honest and takes itself a bit seriously. When he started talking about Magic and being a Shaman I lost interest and switched it off.... I like Alan Moore the comic writer but the rest of it doesn't appeal, sorry!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: radiator on 01 July, 2010, 03:56:44 PM
Was just watching The Mindscape of Alan Moore - it's a little po-faced to be honest and takes itself a bit seriously. When he started talking about Magic and being a Shaman I lost interest and switched it off.... I like Alan Moore the comic writer but the rest of it doesn't appeal, sorry!

Have you seen the 1987 piece from the England, Their England series? Worth a look, if you haven't:Part One and Two

Cheers!

Jim

TordelBack

Damn right you do.  The bastard is three years older than me and I'd pass for his father.  And intellectually I'd pass for his pet chimp (flings poo).

TordelBack

Sorry for the double post, but  that Monkey Cage episode is available as a direct-download podcast for those of us in crap bandwidth country:

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/timc/timc_20100628-1700a.mp3

Peter Wolf

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 July, 2010, 04:12:27 PM

Damn right you do.  The bastard is three years older than me and I'd pass for his father.  And intellectually I'd pass for his pet chimp (flings poo).

Bloody over-achievers !!

As for the Radio 4 thing it was alright but it seemed to start and end in no time at all so it didnt really cover any ground and it was a bit frivolous.It needed to be 2 hours long at least.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 29 June, 2010, 02:39:11 PM
I could honestly listen to Moore all day- he's great.

I'd give him a radio show. Play one record an hour, Alan, and just wibble on about anything that takes your fancy for the other 54 minutes.

There's got to be a slot for that somewhere on the BBC, surely?

Cheers!

Jim

Professor Bear

That Northern accent of his surely puts him in with a chance.  I could listen to him talk about anything, but the unshakable impression he's off his rocker is part of the appeal.

I'm watching that Mindscape thing at the minute (http://stagevu.com/video/tsjmxauqxiea) and I see what Radiator means by it being a bit po-faced - but if I can give the damp pro-Intelligent Design squib that was BSG four years of my time, I can certainly give Alan Moore an hour or so.