Main Menu

PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE NEW STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 October, 2017, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Professor Bear

Quote from: Smith on 21 October, 2017, 02:52:12 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 October, 2017, 01:49:30 PM
Because 2003 TMNT fans are the absolute worst.
You clearly have no idea what are you talking about.  ;)

WAAAAAH WHY DONT THEY FINISH THE NINJA TRIBUNAL STORYLINE WTF IS THIS TIME TRAVEL TOY AD SHIT IT HAS JACK KIRBY IN IT OMG

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

TordelBack

Fantastic news.  And I never thought I'd be saying that.

Although I do hope the suggested 2019 airdate doesn't kill momentum. I have enough trouble waiting forever between seasons of Better Call Saul.

Tjm86

Quote from: Professor Bear on 23 October, 2017, 03:16:25 PM

WAAAAAH WHY DONT THEY FINISH THE NINJA TRIBUNAL STORYLINE WTF IS THIS TIME TRAVEL TOY AD SHIT IT HAS JACK KIRBY IN IT OMG

Think that's bad, have a go at X-men continuity and see what happens?  Teddy Bears, Pram, Ballistics?

Smith

As soon as I translate that,you will get an answer. :)
But seriously,2003 series is an aquired taste.If you dont like it,you need to aquire some taste.

blackmocco

Delighted with that news. Wish I could say the same about last night's episode. Oh boy. First real dud of the season so far for me. Shite from top to bottom. [spoiler]Some good concepts - Vulcan logic extremists! Honestly, I wish the episode had been about this. Instead it gets a few lines and bored the arse off me with everything else.

My biggest worry with the show taking Sarek and Burnham and giving them a history wasn't so much any canon violations, more the reasoning behind doing it. Is there a reason to do this other than the shout-out to TOS? Based on this, I'd say none at all. It feels like it was an idea in the writers' room and when it came to fleshing that idea out, no-one knew what to do with it. If there's a conflict between how she was raised on Vulcan vs her human nature within Burnham, the show hasn't done a good job of presenting it clearly or doing anything interesting with it. They could have dumped the Vulcan connection and still had the same character. Bit disappointed with all that.[/spoiler]
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Professor Bear

Quote from: Smith on 23 October, 2017, 04:43:47 PM

But seriously,2003 series is an aquired taste.If you dont like it,you need to aquire some taste.

Mate, it's Ninja Turtles - every cartoon series is awful.

von Boom

Quote from: blackmocco on 23 October, 2017, 04:46:21 PM
Delighted with that news. Wish I could say the same about last night's episode. Oh boy. First real dud of the season so far for me. Shite from top to bottom. [spoiler]Some good concepts - Vulcan logic extremists! Honestly, I wish the episode had been about this. Instead it gets a few lines and bored the arse off me with everything else.

My biggest worry with the show taking Sarek and Burnham and giving them a history wasn't so much any canon violations, more the reasoning behind doing it. Is there a reason to do this other than the shout-out to TOS? Based on this, I'd say none at all. It feels like it was an idea in the writers' room and when it came to fleshing that idea out, no-one knew what to do with it. If there's a conflict between how she was raised on Vulcan vs her human nature within Burnham, the show hasn't done a good job of presenting it clearly or doing anything interesting with it. They could have dumped the Vulcan connection and still had the same character. Bit disappointed with all that.[/spoiler]

Agreed. It feels like they've lost focus on the main arc of the series. An episode like this can be forgiven when you have 22 or 24 in a series, but with only 15 you can't get distracted.

Professor Bear

It was originally supposed to be 10, so they've actually got four more fillers to go.

Smith

Quote from: Professor Bear on 23 October, 2017, 05:30:40 PM
Quote from: Smith on 23 October, 2017, 04:43:47 PM

Mate, it's Ninja Turtles - every cartoon series is awful.
Your opinion,not a fact.

Professor Bear

von Boom

Magnetica

I actually quite enjoyed this week's episode. You are right though that [spoiler]Burnham's character (so far) would be pretty much the same without the Vulcan element. Indeed so much so that I had largely forgotten she was meant to have been raised by them. However I think the same is mostly true of Spock the other way round - his human element was virtually never referred to.[/spoiler]

Interesting developments with Lorca and the Admiral. I had pretty much [spoiler]suspected they were more than friends since last week. It was also obvious something nasty was going to happen to her when took over Sarek's mission - how else was Lorca going to remain in charge of Discovery?[/spoiler]

Tiplodocus

I quite liked that despite the "I guess that's what being a human is all about!" dialogue and message.

But the best bits were all to do with the main story arc; Lorca and the admiral, the Klingon grand plot and Stammets odd behaviour. 
Be excellent to each other. And party on!