Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulbyrnewex

I had a word document of all Dredd stories. I started highlighting what was in the mega collection in red and in what volume. I have a few volumes left to add college work has taken priority the last while but once the mega collection is finished I'll be able to see whats missing and what is available elsewhere as a trade or complete case file.

ManParrish

Does anyone know if the final 3 volumes will be sent together or as 2 books, then 1?
Thanks

Tjm86

When I jumped off at volume 80 they sent the last volume on its own.  Possibly they might do the same.  On the same note, I'm still waiting for the 6th print.  Might have to look at chasing that down.  Having said that, I haven't seen anyone talking about it anywhere.

Apestrife

Just finished Young Death. Hadn't read Young Death, Name is Death and wilderness days in years and didn't remember much outside the basics. Had some doubts about Death being a funny man, but I think it really worked. Especially in the last two drawn by Frazer Irving. Fantastic art and a story which out-fallouts Fallout. I somewhat wish Death would'v stayed on a weird murder odyssey through the cursed earth. While I thought the set up for the ending was epic, it didn't deliver for me. Would'v worked better without all the exposition about limbo and how his plans were ruined. But overall, I really enjoyed the story :)

abelardsnazz

So we're nearly at the end and I'm already thinking about a re-read  :) . Any thoughts on what might be in Crazy Town? Hoping for at least of couple of Otto Sump stories as he does feature on the spine image, and some other Ron Smith classics in keeping with the title - Citizen Snork, Portrait of a Politician, The Stupid Gun, Bob & Carol & Ted & Ringo, etc.

robert_ellis

Kenny Who? I'd love to have seen Enceladus but that seems unlikely. Can't believe I'm actually at the end of a Hachette series. It's a fabled thing like the end of the rainbow!

Tomwe

The Lawless volume is shaping up to be one of my favourites. Winslade's artwork is sublime.

Davgardo

I think some of the volumes in the extension are some of my favourites: Served Cold, Blood of Emeralds and Lawless. It shows up some of the earlier volumes for what they were: substandard filler.

Personally, I think it shows that there is scope to extend the collection to 100 volumes (which would be a satisfying number) without any drop in quality. There's enough great stuff still out there so I think it's a pity it's stopping at 90 - for example it looks like we probably won't get stuff like The Cal Files, The Exterminator, Midnite's Children, The Falucci Tape, The Graveyard Shift or several 21st Century strips that are fab: Block Judge, Lady Killer, Enceladus, Fall of Deadworld.

IndigoPrime

I suspect people would go nuts if – after multiple promises from Hachette and Rebellion – the series added another ten books. We'd be in Marvel territory. But, yes, the quality of the seven books so far in this extra set has been high. Only Wogue Robots didn't really hit home for me, but that would still be among the average quality-wise from the series. Tales of Ordinary Madness, Served Cold, Blood of Emeralds, Aftermath and Lawless are among the very best in the entire run. Looking forward to the final three...

paulbyrnewex

Plenty of people went nuts with the endless Marvel extensions but that didn't stop them from adding more and more extensions. I would be happy if the collection stopped at 90 but with the incomplete spine image on 90 and after seeing the sketch for the complete image in the 200 AD sketch book I wouldn't mind 10 more issues but with the repeat publication of Debris I would be concerned that future volumes would have more repeat duplication's.

Looking at the facts a complete graphic novel collection partwork has yet to finish its run but looks like Dredd might be the first. 

IndigoPrime

For what it's worth, I'd be happy with another ten books, but with the caveats that:

- The line 100% totally stops at 100 volumes
- There is no further duplication of existing content unless it's absolutely necessary for context
- What's included is almost entirely objectively high-quality material (i.e. no filler)

I suspect it's done and dusted though. Still, perhaps if the 2000 AD collection does well enough, that could extend, and that could include some Dredd here and there. (Mind you, that one feels kind of finite, too. It will have mined all the really big strips entirely, meaning the extension will be lesser-known fare. Would that be enough? Hard to tell.)

Davgardo

Quote from: paulbyrnewex on 27 April, 2018, 01:11:24 PM
I would be happy if the collection stopped at 90 but with the incomplete spine image on 90 and after seeing the sketch for the complete image in the 200 AD sketch book I wouldn't mind 10 more issues but with the repeat publication of Debris I would be concerned that future volumes would have more repeat duplication's.

Looking at the facts a complete graphic novel collection partwork has yet to finish its run but looks like Dredd might be the first.

The incomplete spine image did get me thinking, but I guess we'd have heard by now if there were any plans for a further extension.

Magnetica

I didn't realise stories where getting printed twice in the Mega Collection. That's a bit mad isn't it? But from the sounds of these last few posts it was only Debris and was done for context in the later book which presumably was planned when it appeared earlier.

Out of interest, which volume did it appear in before?

moldovangerbil

Another extension would hack me off.  Yes, there's probably some good stuff they could add but it'd just feel a bit too much like they were milking us to me.  Plus - storage space!!!!

Obviously, if they were to extend it, I'd buy it though.  :-[

James Stacey

The best way to do it if they chose, is do it honestly. Let the current collection be complete at 90 then offer people to continue their sub for the following 10 if they so choose. The tactic of starting the continuation volumes before the current run is complete is the thing I think hacks people off. I can't belive the marvel one is still ongoing (up to 200) :o