Main Menu

Judge Dredd Casefiles 24

Started by Bat King, 15 December, 2014, 10:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bat King

Six preview pages included in my preview.

I've only reviewed two stories, pne from the 2000AD tranch & another from the Megaze, I did that with Casefiles 23.

This volume includes the first half of The Pit.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Bat King

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Dark Jimbo

Never read The Pit. Well, never read any pre-2001 Dredd before the Case Files came along, but particularly looking forward to these next two volumes!
@jamesfeistdraws

IronGraham

Nice review looking forward to this in February because you never know what you'll get with the case files, always a really good tale in each.
We're werewolves not swearwolves

wedgeski

Really looking forward to this one. When I came to the board asking for the pick of Dredd stories that I had missed in the previous few years, The Pit was mentioned more than once.

vark

Thanks for the review Batking. And so the Hammerstein story is collected in JDCF. I still think for myself that it's odd that this story is not collected as well in an ABC Warriors reprint (Pat Mills writing, a story featuring an ABC Hammerstein robot ..)

Hawkmumbler

Problem is Hammerstein is pretty interchangeable within the story. It could have been an entirely original character and it would have had the same impact. Plus it's not really part of the Warriors timeline as by this point i'm inclined to believe it was an entirely different incarnation of the character.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 05 February, 2015, 01:48:48 PM
Problem is Hammerstein is pretty interchangeable within the story. It could have been an entirely original character and it would have had the same impact. Plus it's not really part of the Warriors timeline as by this point i'm inclined to believe it was an entirely different incarnation of the character.

Aye - 'a' Hammerstein rather than 'the' Hammerstein.
@jamesfeistdraws

vark

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 05 February, 2015, 01:52:58 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 05 February, 2015, 01:48:48 PM

Aye - 'a' Hammerstein rather than 'the' Hammerstein.
Yes of course, and it's clearly linked to the Judge Dredd Cursed earth saga (hence the "as well" in my original post) but still, it's not 'the' hammerstein from 'the' ABC Warriors, but it is an ABC Warrior's hammerstein (in France it has been collected it in the ABC Warriors series)

radiator

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 15 December, 2014, 10:52:16 PM
Never read The Pit. Well, never read any pre-2001 Dredd before the Case Files came along, but particularly looking forward to these next two volumes!

The Pit is amazing.

As I recall (reading it week to week back in the day) the initial 12(?) part run - that is apparently collected in CF24 - is good, solid stuff, but the scale and ambition of the story only became clear as it branched out into all the stories that followed, like True Grot, Unjudical Liaisons etc which ran under the 'The Pit' banner.

IronGraham

So flicking through the Hammerstein story is Dredd in it at all?
We're werewolves not swearwolves

wedgeski

Quote from: IronGraham on 11 February, 2015, 06:10:21 PM
So flicking through the Hammerstein story is Dredd in it at all?
Nope. A few unnamed Judges but not his nibs.

wedgeski

I'm a quarter into this collection and *wow*. "The Cal Files" was amazing..."Devil Angel" hilarious...and I haven't even started "The Pit" yet!

TordelBack

Quote from: wedgeski on 12 February, 2015, 09:40:38 AM
I'm a quarter into this collection and *wow*. "The Cal Files" was amazing..."Devil Angel" hilarious...and I haven't even started "The Pit" yet!

Yeah, CF24 is where the Dark Times are in full retreat.

Prodigal2

Guys I have been reading the prog for only 3 years. I have the Pit trade. Is CF 24 still worth picking up?

TIA for any advice.