Main Menu

Grant Morrison developing The Invisibles for TV

Started by Frank, 08 November, 2018, 07:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

Probably Animal Man, but some of his Doom Patrol issues are outstanding.

Greg M.

Animal Man wouldn't even crack my Morrison top ten - but I think Colin and I have had an 'Animal Man vs Doom Patrol' conversation before. I do enjoy the former though - it's certainly better than Morrison's Batman run, which would, subjectively, be way down there. Apart, of course, from the Dick Grayson bits. (Can we still call him Dick, now he's... ugh... Ric?)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Greg M. on 09 November, 2018, 06:04:25 PM
As for Morrison's best work... We3? All-Star Superman #10?

Doom Patrol. It's quite hard to separate it from from its historical context, in as much as everything was going all angsty grimdark at the time and DP's wilful, gleeful embrace of absurdity and surrealism was exhilarating. But, on a recent re-reading, I still think it stands up well.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Fungus

Ha! I meant to say Doom Patrol earlier... my favourite. For me I got a kick out of this and Arkham Asylum. All-Star Superman was interesting, too.

I'm not a Morrison completist, and struggled to enjoy Multiversity. Likewise Invisibles, of course. Can't remember much about Zenith beyond enjoying it a lot at the time (and the FP signing with Morrison/Yeowell, I've just recalled).

broodblik

Morrison greatest work for me is Zenith and All-Star Superman but I find most of writing to be tedious.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

I read All-Star Superman recently. Left me cold. I wonder how familiar you need to be with various Superman tropes to appreciate it? (I know of Superman, and have seen a couple of movies, but read only a handful of Superman comics before. This felt like it made a lot of assumptions of the reader about characters and such-like, and I just found it a bit dull; nice art, mind.)

Greg M.

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 November, 2018, 10:29:48 AM
I read All-Star Superman recently. Left me cold. I wonder how familiar you need to be with various Superman tropes to appreciate it?

I'm not a particular fan of Superman: I love the superhero genre but I've always been more Marvel than DC, and I can't say I've read that much in the way of Superman's solo exploits. However, I think All Star Superman is one of the greatest comics ever - issue #10 alone must be contender for one of the best single issues of anything. (Not just because of the famous 'You're much stronger than you think you are' page - every page of #10 is filled to the brim with sheer glorious wonder, imagination, and comicsy genius.)

JayzusB.Christ

That's the thing about All-Star Superman - it is of course very well written and good fun, but I don't really give much of a feck about Superman anyway. (Needless to say, though, it's a million trillion times better than All-Star Batman and Robin, featuring Crazy Steve.)

Animal Man was excellent, and I'd forgotten how good Doom Patrol was, though it does suffer from dodgy art in places.  But any story that brings in Richard E. Grant's Withnail as an alcoholic magician is ok by me.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Greg M.

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 November, 2018, 01:32:32 PM
But any story that brings in Richard E. Grant's Withnail as an alcoholic magician is ok by me.

That's funny - I always think Willoughby Kipling's the worst thing in Doom Patrol, 'cos he' s such an obvious lift.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Another 2000AD alumnus is doing well, so I'm pleased he's got a TV deal. Used to buy his JLA stuff so here's to more toothy influenced by proxy television.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

IndigoPrime

Well, it's not his first TV deal – Happy! is based on one of his books. That said, Happy! seemed to work a lot better when Morrison was less heavily involved. (The initial couple of episodes aren't that great, but it becomes something really special and totally after that point.)

JamesC

I couldn't even make it through the first episode of Happy!, I thought it was awful.

dweezil2

Wake me up when the Zenith show is announced!  :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

IndigoPrime

Quote from: JamesC on 11 November, 2018, 11:58:08 AMI couldn't even make it through the first episode of Happy!, I thought it was awful.
All subjective, I suppose. I thought the first two episodes were OK, but it really ramped things up as it progressed. The first episode isn't really indicative of where it goes, which ends up being [spoiler]a seriously fucked-up combination of Crank, a police procedural, and Toy Story[/spoiler].