Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: M.I.K. on 26 May, 2020, 03:29:09 AM
Company of Wolves has been one of my favourite films since it was first broadcast on Channel 4, (I think), in the 80s, not least because they couldn't have packed more 'genuine' werewolf-lore into it if they'd tried. I consider the disjointedness, artificiality and visual non-sequiturs as points in its favour, because the bulk of it is intended to be a dream and it's very similar in 'feel' to some of the freakier dreams I've had.

The first video I ever bought.  Not a fan of the 'toybox' start but I love the rest of it.

pictsy

Battle Beyond the Stars

Just because I saw people talking about here and I had never seen it before.  I liked it.  It's nothing special, but it was watchable, entertaining and had enough interesting elements to endear me to it.  I liked it's style.

pictsy

Van Wilder

I couldn't think of anything better.  This film is weird.  It is that sophomoric, offensive and gross type of film but it has this genuine sweetness to it as well.  It is a bizarre juxtaposition.  I also always feel that Ryan Reynolds should be annoying but instead I find him charming. 

Tiplodocus

The live action of LADY AND THE TRAMP is continuing the "what's the point?" theme of the remakes. I suppose this one is set in a weird future utopia where people of all races live in harmony together and there is no poverty but where, bizarrely, the technology is all 1910 or thereabouts
So it has that going for it.

More like LADY AND THE SHIT.

Which coincidentally is how people describe the missus and me.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Followed by THE FINEST HOURS which is resolutely old fashioned but in a good way. Chris Pine handsomes his way into saving the crew of a tankerthat broke in two in 1952.

True story, apparently.

The lot is as straightforward as you get, water effects are gob smacking, the characters thinly sketched but I really enjoyed it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

von Boom

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 31 May, 2020, 07:49:03 PM
More like LADY AND THE SHIT.

Which coincidentally is how people describe the missus and me.
Don't be so hard on yourself. I'm sure you look very fetching in a frock.

pictsy

Tremors

Do I need to make any comments about this film?

Keef Monkey

Extra Ordinary, a charming and wacky Irish comedy on Netflix about a driving instructor who can do exorcisms. Immensely likeable and charming, and also very funny.

Did some rewatches over the weekend too, Avengers: Endgame which was my first rewatch since the cinema. Really enjoyed it again, and still feels like an epic finale to something truly huge so gives me the goosebumps a lot, even if it did seem to completely quench my desire for Marvel movies. Just don't seem to have a craving for any new ones after this and still haven't watched the Spider-Man one that came out since, maybe once Black Widow finally comes out it'll ignite that spark again.

Also continuing to rewatch the Star Wars movies so squeezed in Solo and Rogue One before I get round to the middle trilogy. I'm still really surprised that Solo was the film I was least bowled over by in the cinema, it fell really flat for me on a first watch but every home viewing has been better than the last and I enjoy it so much now that I can't figure out why I didn't initially. It's great! Rogue One also great, and while I'd struggle to try and pick one SW movie as my absolute favourite, Rogue One would definitely feature heavily in the conversation. Love it.

pictsy

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 01 June, 2020, 10:48:47 AM
Also continuing to rewatch the Star Wars movies so squeezed in Solo and Rogue One before I get round to the middle trilogy. I'm still really surprised that Solo was the film I was least bowled over by in the cinema, it fell really flat for me on a first watch but every home viewing has been better than the last and I enjoy it so much now that I can't figure out why I didn't initially. It's great! Rogue One also great, and while I'd struggle to try and pick one SW movie as my absolute favourite, Rogue One would definitely feature heavily in the conversation. Love it.

Rogue One is probably my favourite SW movie.  I also had a great time with my only viewing of Solo.  I thought it was an entertaining romp.  I do like a self-contained sci-fi action adventure film and these two really did hit the mark for me.

Keef Monkey

Ticks, a splattery B-movie with a young Seth Green and Carlton from the Fresh Prince. Quite fun, from the director of Hellraiser II but there aren't really any glimpses of that nightmarish visual flair here, but he maybe just didn't have as much to work with in terms of money and concepts!

Enjoyed it though, a load of schlocky fun and as someone who hates bugs I found the ropey tick effects surprisingly skin-crawly.

pictsy

The Legend of Billie Jean.

This was recommended to me on the basis that I would probably like it.  I think I liked it.  An empowering film showing struggles of class and gender and against sexual violence... but aimed at kids... I think.  Helen Slater was great in the titular role and the character she played was fantastic in many ways.  It's a bit of a cartoon, like many 80's films, but that's fine.  It probably adds to the charm.  The phrase "fair is fair" has poignant relevance in this dark and dismal times.

pictsy

Premature (2014)

This is a Groundhog Day High School Romantic Comedy were the repetition is ejaculation.  You'd think it'd be more juvenile than it actually is.  I mean, it's pretty juvenile.  I like it.  I don't know how much that is to do with the fact that Groundhog Day is one my Top Ten Favourite Films.  I think the film has charm beyond the gimmick.  It has Alan Tudyk in it.

Keef Monkey

Star Wars Eps IV-VI back to back (still working through the 4K blurays). Really flew by, and loved every minute. Empire predictably the best looking and has dated the least, but they all looked pretty great. Did notice some of the effects have been touched up in RoTJ since the last time I watched it, and now Greedo says MACLUNKEY for reasons unknown. Wish they'd just stop tinkering with that scene and just revert to the original, but that's a small quibble (I do love the moment in Solo where [spoiler]Han decisively shoots first, as it seems like a high five to those of us who preferred the OG version of the Greedo scene![/spoiler] Feels quite cathartic)! I had forgot that everyone is constantly smiling at each other in RoTJ to the point where they look a bit unhinged, I've always wondered if that was a reaction to Empire feeling downbeat.

Loved them though, and it must be decades since I watched them all in a sitting like that and I was quite taken aback by how well it works in a marathon.

pictsy

The Quiet Earth

New Zealand Sci-Fi from '85.  I picked this up for cheap over a decade ago on DVD mostly because I judged it by its cover.  I wasn't disappointed.  It's actually one of my best blind buys.  It's about a man who wakes up to find he is the only living thing on Earth and everyone else has just seemed to have disappeared.  So it's major themes are about loneliness and relationships.  I don't think it goes into too much depth with those themes, but that certainly isn't to the detriment of the film.  It also has a stunning ending visual.  It's good sci-fi.  Oh, my DVD copy turned out to be utter crap when I tried watching it months ago... terrible quality and in standard def, which is a real shame.

I find it tiresome rewatching the original Star Wars trilogy.  It's all the new Special Edition junk.  It ruins my immersion and puts me off.  I actually want to watch Empire with that weird boggly eyed Emperor.

repoman

My missus has recommended The Quiet Earth funnily enough. Will get onto it soon.

Recently watched the original Omen trilogy.  They hold up quite well to be fair.  Suitably creepy.

Also watched Slither.  One of those rare films that is rubbish for the first half but good for the second.