Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Maybe my history is a little off, but I'm sure MLK died before I asked you the question.
So following this logic- I think Robert Mugabe is a bad man- does this make me anti-black?

GordonR

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 11 June, 2012, 08:50:33 AM
Maybe my history is a little off, but I'm sure MLK died before I asked you the question.
So following this logic- I think Robert Mugabe is a bad man- does this make me anti-black?

Did you even read his post? He TOTALLY quoted Martin Luther King, who TOTALLY used the word 'truth' twice there. So, you know, it must be true.

...don'tcha think...?

...dude?

Misanthrope

It is in fact pronounced: Throat Wobbler Mangrove.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

judgefloyd

No, that does it for me.  Quoting MLK on another topic completely proves that any criticism of Israel is in fact anti-semitism.  How could I have been so blind?
  unless of course, MLK was wrong if he meant that any criticism of Zionism is the same as anti-Semitism.  There's a good point - could he have been wrong about that?  I don't know much about the great man beyond the 'I have a dream' speech and stories that he put it around a lot.  Was he infallible or something? Or is it just such a good point that whoever he was talking to was a badly disguised anti-semite and that anyone who thinks that Israel's every action is self-defence is likewise, that quoting the dream-having guy just points it out?

anyway, it's good to read a Gordon R post again.  That brought a smile to my (no doubt antisemitic) dial

TordelBack

Can I presume any Israeli who votes for Yisrael Beiteinu is also an anti-semite?

Incidentally:

You should know that I will be plagiarising this phrase to assist in all future pub arguments.  I hope it makes me look half so sharp.  :D

The Prodigal

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 11 June, 2012, 08:32:03 AM
Instead of me answering that last post, I'll let Martin Luther King Jr answer it;

"... You declare, my friend; that you do not hate the Jews, you are merely 'anti-Zionist'.  And I say, let the truth ring forth from the high mountain tops, let it echo through the valleys of God's green earth:  When people criticize Zionism, they mean Jews -- this is God's own truth."

I think the champion of civil rights said it better than I ever could, don'tcha think...?

Beaky are you aware that that reference is considered to be of extremely dubious origin? have another look at it.

Also even if it was authentic-let me answer one "quote" with another.

"!Dr. King's expertise as a non-violent civil rights leader and visionary are unparalleled in U.S. history. However, that does not make him an informed commentator on Middle Eastern affairs or on the ideological facets of Zionism. As impressive as the references to his views on Israel may seem, this is a textbook example of Argumentum Ad Verecundiam."

Love the debates with you Beaky mate. All the best fella.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 June, 2012, 12:50:39 PM
Can I presume any Israeli who votes for Yisrael Beiteinu is also an anti-semite?

Incidentally:

You should know that I will be plagiarising this phrase to assist in all future pub arguments.  I hope it makes me look half so sharp.  :D

I can think of no greater honour!

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: The Prodigal on 11 June, 2012, 04:16:32 PM
Love the debates with you Beaky mate. All the best fella.

Right back at ya :thumbsup:...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Matt Timson

What has happened to my favourite thread?

:'(
Pffft...

Frank

Quote from: Matt Timson on 19 June, 2012, 12:13:20 AM
What has happened to my favourite thread? :'(

Dredd trailer. Although, I see Aung San Suu Kyi has got out the house for a change. Any of you Dubliners get to see my all-time no 1 political crush? The woman's the living embodiment of democracy; it'd be like getting off with The Statue of Liberty.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: bikini kill on 19 June, 2012, 12:26:08 AMI see Aung San Suu Kyi has got out the house for a change. Any of you Dubliners get to see my all-time no 1 political crush? The woman's the living embodiment of democracy; it'd be like getting off with The Statue of Liberty.

Seen one suffragette, seen 'em all.

Beaky Smoochies

It's been co-opted by Smoochies Enterprises, a'la Pyramid Transnational by Veidt Enterprises, no giant alien squid promised though...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

Richmond Clements

beaky was asked some pointed questions and stopped posting in the hope nobody would notice and forget them.
Dude.

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 19 June, 2012, 07:49:45 AM
beaky was asked some pointed questions and stopped posting in the hope nobody would notice and forget them.  Dude.

Perish the thought Richmond, I said my piece, people responded, have nothing further to add, that was it, simple really, clear enough :D ?

Richmond Clements