Main Menu

Gay Dredd .....lol

Started by Fatboydale, 25 January, 2013, 03:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Goaty on 27 January, 2013, 07:16:23 PM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 27 January, 2013, 06:35:19 PM
It's also a guaranteed way of pissing off many established fans and contrary to what some on here think many people still think that gay men are usually a bit effeminate and making already established figures like Dredd gay is certainly not going to alter that. Invent another judge who's gay by all means but leave Dredd as a guy who's probably straight.   

Rubbish! Go back to the cave!

Looking forward to the story this Wednesday and you are not spokesman of Dredd fans!

And to Daily Express article, that's too daft, where the source that 2000AD fans will burning their copies?

Nice to see aggressive old Goaty's still about.   If I lived in a cave I wouldn't be saying I don't mind seeing gay characters in the comic would I?   All I'm saying is I don't think it's a good idea to make Dredd gay.       

pauljholden

I agree, it's important that the one thing the wider world doesn't think about the fascist, genocidal lawman is that he might like the love of a good man.

Good grief.

-pj

Richard

The press make it sound as though scores of 2000 AD fans were up in arms and demanding a massive comic-burning session, but in fact it was two people, one of whom may have been being sarcastic --

"Hey, good move Tharg! While normal people will buy the prog and read it for kicks, just think of the extra sales to people who want to be outraged first before setting a pile of them alight!"

-- and one who is an American in the Mid-West, who may well not even a reader of 2000AD, who said he would buy it only in order to burn it.

So not as controversial a controversy as they led us to believe, about a story which turned out not to say what they inferred it said.

Matt Timson

Having actually read the story (which was very good, I might add), reading this thread is funny and neck-punchingly irritating in equal measure.

Given that the readership of 2000ad is vanishingly small- I will submit that, even more than usual, any publicity is good publicity.

People are free to disagree, of course. I will feel free to shake my head and walk off as they do so...
Pffft...

darryl(doofus forgot his password)

I've noticed that a lot of the posters on the FB thread(s) seem to be idiots who haven't bought Tooth in a while, or have never bought it, but want to express disgust at a story that these yet to read.

I think we refer to them normally as "daily mail readers".

Molch-R

Quote from: Richard on 27 January, 2013, 08:32:12 PM
So not as controversial a controversy as they led us to believe, about a story which turned out not to say what they inferred it said.

I am a Master of the Dark Arts, I tell you!*

*not a euphemism.

Hawkmumbler

I wonder if Dredd coped a feel from Logan when ruching him to emergency after meeting Mortis...Alan Bennett eat your heart out.

darryl(doofus forgot his password)

Molch-R - work worthy of Alistair Campbell :-)

mogzilla

are there any gay boarders with a view on this ? is it offensive or good publicity? and does anyone really care wether a comic character is secretly gay or straight when its been established over 35 years that his only love is the law i'm also wondering if this image was released with a view to court contraversial publicity ?

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: pauljholden on 27 January, 2013, 08:26:07 PM
I agree, it's important that the one thing the wider world doesn't think about the fascist, genocidal lawman is that he might like the love of a good man.

In that context, that there's reason enough Dredd "shouldn't" be gay. Unless, of course, we think an authoritarian tight-ass responsible for the death of an entire megalopolistate really is the best way to portray a gay character.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Molch-R

Quote from: mogzilla on 27 January, 2013, 09:25:01 PM
i'm also wondering if this image was released with a view to court contraversial publicity ?

Oooh, you're a sharp one! ;)

Richmond Clements

Honesty... I go out for a couple of hours and come back to this! Look what you've done! Look at the state of the  place! Go to your room!

dweezil2

Gay, gay, gay, gay, gay!

Thank you! I feel better now!

Also, I think my goldfish may be gay. Any advice?

Is Tharg thinking of introducing an agony aunt page to 2000ad? Could be helpful.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 27 January, 2013, 08:23:01 PM
Quote from: Goaty on 27 January, 2013, 07:16:23 PM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 27 January, 2013, 06:35:19 PM
It's also a guaranteed way of pissing off many established fans and contrary to what some on here think many people still think that gay men are usually a bit effeminate and making already established figures like Dredd gay is certainly not going to alter that. Invent another judge who's gay by all means but leave Dredd as a guy who's probably straight.   

Rubbish! Go back to the cave!

Looking forward to the story this Wednesday and you are not spokesman of Dredd fans!

And to Daily Express article, that's too daft, where the source that 2000AD fans will burning their copies?

Nice to see aggressive old Goaty's still about.   If I lived in a cave I wouldn't be saying I don't mind seeing gay characters in the comic would I?   All I'm saying is I don't think it's a good idea to make Dredd gay.     

What possible difference would it make if he was gay? He's celibate so it would not affect the character in any way whatsoever. He may well be supressing gay urges, but that would be absolutly no different to his suppressing straight urges as he never acts upon them.

Richard

That's the most sensible post on this thread, and on any related thread on any website.