Main Menu

2000 AD Sci-Fi Special 2018

Started by Tomwe, 19 June, 2018, 09:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomwe

Happy to receive this year's Sci-Fi Special in the post yesterday! I went for the Hershey cover although I am unable to find a credit, either in the issue itself or online.

I'm about halfway through at this point, I enjoyed the Dredd tale, which with Babs Tarr's choice to follow the Stallone costume design certainly matched Beeby's attempt at ruffling Squaxx' feathers (as she admitted on the Thrillcast). I also noted a layout credit to J.Wyatt. Tarr worked from Cameron Stewart's layouts for Batgirl but I think Motor Crush is all her - perhaps this was to speed up production as much as anything.

Tyranny Rex looked good overall, reminding me of Rian Hughes' work from the 90s but the storytelling could have been better.

The Rogue story hit the spot, I enjoyed that one, and the Future Shock was good too, but Darkness Descends had probably my favourite artwork so far.

Ill update with the other strips when I'm done!

TordelBack

Man I want that cover: fantastic stuff, anyone know who it's by?

Link Prime

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 June, 2018, 09:51:11 AM
Man I want that cover: fantastic stuff, anyone know who it's by?

Yes, it is fantastic.
It's by our own Mimikeke.

Molch-R

Quote from: Tomwe on 19 June, 2018, 09:31:12 AM
Happy to receive this year's Sci-Fi Special in the post yesterday! I went for the Hershey cover although I am unable to find a credit, either in the issue itself or online.

:)

Tomwe

Quote from: Molch-R on 19 June, 2018, 10:15:34 AM
Quote from: Tomwe on 19 June, 2018, 09:31:12 AM

:)

Thanks Mike, my bad, and I see it's there in the shop copy too, in the middle where I glossed over it:
The 2000 AD Summer Special returns with a very special line-up: for the first time in 2000 AD's 41-year history, an entire issue will have an all-female roster of writers, artists, colorists, and letterers. With covers from Tula Lotay and Emily Zeinner, and all-new stories featuring Judge Dredd, Rogue Trooper, Psi-Judge Anderson and DeMarco, P.I. by Alex De Campi, Maura McHugh, Tillie Walden, Katy Rex, Laura Bailey and many more, no holiday is complete without this thrill-packed anthology! Includes free poster by Marguerite Sauvage as shown below (click to enlarge!).

Although my copy has the other cover credit inside, so I'm not going crazy here.

TordelBack

It's not often I'm lured into double-dipping by multiple covers, but for this I may have no choice. Two absolute corkers.

Molch-R

Quote from: Tomwe on 19 June, 2018, 10:30:13 AM
Although my copy has the other cover credit inside, so I'm not going crazy here.

Huh, apologies are in order then - the PDF sent to the printers has Emily fully credited, but print copies seem to have the inside front cover for the Tula Lotay cover. We shall take this up with our printers, as that's really not on >:(

moldovangerbil

Tomwe

Just a quick update since I finished the issue. The last three strips were pretty strong I thought. DaNi's art is lush, Tharg's face in the Terror Tale made me smile (and that strip overall worked well), and the final story with Anderson was a success on both art and story.

I welcome more work from these talented creators in the progs of the future!

Bad City Blue

COVER - Average but nice enough, the hershey one is much better

DREDD - Emma Beeby puts in a good tale, whilst Babs Tarr's manga-esque style grates for me though I'm sure others will appreciate it

TYRANNY REX - Katy Rex (really?) delivers a pretty boring story, with Leana Kangas's sketchy art doing nothing to improve it.

ROGUE TROOPER - For me, the art is a step up, with Sam Beck's characters still coming over a little cartoony but overall the strong, clear images and bold colour suit Alex Di Campi's well told one off.

FUTURE SHOCKS - Tillie Walden scripts and illustrates this one, and I neither liked the art or the story. meh all round here.

JUDGE DEATH - Leah Moore gets a crack at Death and sensibly goes at it in a roundabout way instead of a dull murderfest. Once again the art is very indie, but thankfully Xulia Vicente delivers it with a lot of energy, useful given the musical theme. A solid read this one, and a good idea played out well.

DIMARCO P.I - We finish off with laura Bailey's tale that just jars from the off as a woman says she's married to a Judge and everyone seems toi just accept it! It's not bad apart from that, and Dani's black and white art works well, but the shoehorned in unweildy plot device kills it for me.

TERROR TALES - THE HOCKEY STICKS OF HELL

things go all silly for the next tale, where Olivia Hicks gives us a lighthearted look at why you shouldn't make deals with the Devil. it's fun, with nice comic-y art from Abbie Bulmer, and should entertain most people although it's certainly not remotely deep.

Finally...

ANDERSON - the first thing that stands out is Emma Vieceli's nice, clean art, and after a while the value of Maura McHugh's script also leaps to the fore. A well crafted one off that shows understanding of the character, this is probably the best of the bunch and a great way to finish.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Tjm86

Like Tordels' I'm a double dipper on this.  The webshop exclusive is superb and Zeinner is definitely someone I'd like to see doing more covers and even interior artwork.  The contents are, to me, pretty standard special fare for the most part.  Anderson is the standout and rounds it out really well.  A writer / artist combination that is once again one that I'd like to see in the prog.

Overall I'd say that it was pretty successful.  Certainly we've seen far worse specials in the past.  There's certainly enough to commend it and nothing that screams 'embarrassing balls-up'.

Richard

QuoteIt's not bad apart from that

"How was your journey on the Titanic?"

"It wasn't bad, apart from this iceberg..."

Quotenothing that screams 'embarrassing balls-up'
If you say so.

ZenArcade

That Mimekeke cover is stunning! Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead