Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Yeah, that's the same size for my Gibson Robo-Hunter (the actual artwork, panel-border to panel border, comes in at 51.5 x 42cm).

I had a quick look for other outsized artwork I have:

Bad Company (first run): 43.5 x 36cm (on a 52 x 44cm page)
Colin Wilson Dredd (his first story): 49 x 36cm (56.5 x 40cm page; his Rogue stuff is along the same lines)

ming

While I'm here, some more Gibson (more of a standard size, this one).  I always liked Dog Deever.

SMUDGE10

Quote from: ming on 25 July, 2012, 09:22:32 AM
Yeah, that's the same size for my Gibson Robo-Hunter (the actual artwork, panel-border to panel border, comes in at 51.5 x 42cm).

I had a quick look for other outsized artwork I have:

Bad Company (first run): 43.5 x 36cm (on a 52 x 44cm page)
Colin Wilson Dredd (his first story): 49 x 36cm (56.5 x 40cm page; his Rogue stuff is along the same lines)

Cheers Ming.
I shall 'dabble' with some oversized art next time I have the chance...
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
― Christopher Hitchens

Large48

Quote from: ming on 24 July, 2012, 05:26:36 PM
For some reason it's taken for ever to get around to scanning this page (it's mahoosive - required four scans on an A3 scanner just to fit it all in).  I still have to tweak the joins a little, but here's some lovely Ian Gibson Robo-Hunter action from the Day of the Droids...  I always loved those Gibson war-machine designs.

Ming, if you ever want to get rid of this (due to the Football reference) just let me know, or swap for something, and no not the McMahon!  ;)
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

opaque

Devlin Waugh - 69cm x 49cm for a double page spread :)

hippynumber1

I have a Revere page by Simon Harrison (obviously!) that comes in at 23.5" X 17" (about 59.5cm x 43cm)  :o

Spikes

Really happy to recieve this today in the post, from the always superb Mr Colin MacNeil

This was the first prog that i bought on my return to buying it weekly, after many years away. So its fantastic to now have this page in my collection.

opaque

Skullmo

Quote from: Judge Jack on 28 July, 2012, 02:13:27 PM
Really happy to recieve this today in the post, from the always superb Mr Colin MacNeil

This was the first prog that i bought on my return to buying it weekly, after many years away. So its fantastic to now have this page in my collection.

Why is he using such thin paper now?
It's a joke. I was joking.

SMUDGE10

Quote from: Skullmo on 28 July, 2012, 07:12:52 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth!

Looks like very flimsy paper. Unless he's inking with markers...?

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
― Christopher Hitchens

opaque

I recently got a piece by Paul Marshall that is the thinnest piece I've ever seen

Colin MacNeil

Quote from: SMUDGE10 on 28 July, 2012, 07:30:06 PM

It's very flimsy paper. It's layout paper, 45gms and yes I do use felt tip pens and markers to ink.

I've used all sorts of different kinds of paper in the past, from paper costing £5 a page to tracing paper. This is just my latest phase of papery-ness.

The main reason I use this paper is that I like the feel of the paper when I'm drawing on it. No, that doesn't mean anything kinky. :) What I mean is, I pencil and ink each page on the pad (ie I don't remove a sheet of paper to draw on a more solid surface.), So It gives a slight cushioning effect when drawing. I like it's softness of touch.
The other reason I like using this paper is the fact that if a page goes completely wonky, then I can just pull it out of the page and tear it up without thinking "Crivvens I'm tearing up a fiver!", kinda thing. Because each sheet of paper is so cheap, then I am freed from being "precious" about every single bit of paper. It's been quite liberating for me artistically. I hope it's finally starting to show in the artwork.

Anyhoo, hope that's helped explain the oddity of the paper. :)

Cheers

Colin

SMUDGE10

Quote from: Colin MacNeil on 28 July, 2012, 08:17:04 PM

It's very flimsy paper. It's layout paper, 45gms and yes I do use felt tip pens and markers to ink.

I've used all sorts of different kinds of paper in the past, from paper costing £5 a page to tracing paper. This is just my latest phase of papery-ness.

The main reason I use this paper is that I like the feel of the paper when I'm drawing on it. No, that doesn't mean anything kinky. :) What I mean is, I pencil and ink each page on the pad (ie I don't remove a sheet of paper to draw on a more solid surface.), So It gives a slight cushioning effect when drawing. I like it's softness of touch.
The other reason I like using this paper is the fact that if a page goes completely wonky, then I can just pull it out of the page and tear it up without thinking "Crivvens I'm tearing up a fiver!", kinda thing. Because each sheet of paper is so cheap, then I am freed from being "precious" about every single bit of paper. It's been quite liberating for me artistically. I hope it's finally starting to show in the artwork.

Anyhoo, hope that's helped explain the oddity of the paper. :)

Cheers

Colin

Yeh, I like the fact that layout pad is transparent enough to trace over roughs, great for markers and is dirt cheap. Have often thought it would be good to develop a marker style so I could work that way. Not crazy about working with markers though!

How you manage to 'pencil' on layout pad I don't know!? You must have a very light touch Colin! Damn stuff tears if you breath too heavily over it.....!  :)

― Christopher Hitchens

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: Colin MacNeil on 28 July, 2012, 08:17:04 PM

It's very flimsy paper.
It may be flimsy paper but that's a damned strong page of art.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Spikes

Quote from: BOODA on 29 July, 2012, 08:26:15 AM
It may be flimsy paper but that's a damned strong page of art.

Im looking at it now, and i think this page is my new favourite. Really very happy to have this.

I personally cant draw for toffee, and i have a limited understanding of the artistic process, but reading Colin's comments, its an interesting glimpse into that process, and how things like, different papers/pen's etc, can help 'free up' an artist.