Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Have you checked your bilges for algae barons and Steersmen?

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 November, 2020, 12:08:02 PM
Have you checked your bilges for algae barons and Steersmen?

There definitely used to be something else here that's missing now.  A piece of furniture, or something.  Just can't put a finger on what it was.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

shaolin_monkey

Can I just check... you haven't just suddenly realized what it is that has been going wrong all this time, and finally know how the world could be made a good and happy place, have you? That this time it is right, it will work, and no one will have to get nailed to anything?

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 27 November, 2020, 12:45:44 PM
There definitely used to be something else here that's missing now.  A piece of furniture, or something.  Just can't put a finger on what it was.

Boss.

sheridan

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 27 November, 2020, 12:57:36 PM
Can I just check... you haven't just suddenly realized what it is that has been going wrong all this time, and finally know how the world could be made a good and happy place, have you? That this time it is right, it will work, and no one will have to get nailed to anything?

If that is the case - make sure you write it down, otherwise you'll forget (or the Earth will be destroyed by a Constructor Fleet).

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 01 December, 2020, 11:03:50 AM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 27 November, 2020, 12:57:36 PM

If that is the case - make sure you write it down, otherwise you'll forget (or the Earth will be destroyed by a Constructor Fleet).

Forgot to say, that post inspired me to download the radio play of the Hitchhikers Guide. Never heard the actual play before; in fact i didn't even know the play existed before the book
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

von Boom

Sometimes karma really does work. After the kerfuffle with having to move out of my last place because the landlord thought he could make a packet flogging his slum I heard through the grapevine that he couldn't get anyone to buy it at any price and has been forced to put it up for rent again (at an outrageous price still) and has been carrying all his costs in the meantime so he's rather desperate from what I gather. I hope he enjoys the sleepless nights me and the missus suffered through when he violated our rights.

Barrington Boots

Just seen a beautiful little kingfisher down by the river. He kept ahead of me before diving underwater and coming up with a tiny fish in his beak which he promptly wolfed down.
Day made.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

JayzusB.Christ

Lovely.  I've lived in a canal boat for more than three years and haven't seen any yet - I even painted one on a neighbour's boat once. 
I have seen a few on boating trips with my Dad though; they're truly amazing-looking things.

The Legendary Shark

I glimpsed one once - a truly mesmerising colour, unlike anything else I've seen. I remember it making my day as well.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

I used to get distant glimpses of a kingfisher on the R. Dodder as a kid walking home from school, but a few years ago while sailing in Norfolk we got to watch one going about its business from just a couple of metres away. I'll never forget it. (One of) the benefits of sail over engine (beautiful barn owl surprised us on a twilight walk on the same trip).

But that's not why I came here!

I was pushing for our longest distance yet on a morning run with my son, who commenced griping and generally teen-expiring while (judging by the lack of updates from the running app) the target was still way off, which was annoying because we've been doing well over here past while and I'd felt that although it was a stretch I thought it was well within our capabilities: defeatist zoomers.

So I cajoled/encouraged/bullied him into lurching miserably onwards with promises of how good he would feel to beat his personal best, deploying annoying phrases like "it builds character" like every PE teacher I ever hated, and Lo, we made it home, albeit in a sweaty heap.

Only to discover that my phone had died at some point, taking the distance app with it. Consultation of a map revealed we had gone over 2km further than planned (which was already further than anything we'd done), and ran for almost a quarter-hour beyond our target.

Even though I fear today will have a bearing on the quality of my nursing home experience, all injured parties are now mostly recovered and vocally surprised by their own abilities.

paddykafka

Good for you and the young lad, Tordel's!

Even if I could overcome my natural laziness and loathing of physical activity to take up running, alas, I rather fear that this would be the - rather ridiculous - end result.  :)

https://media.tenor.com/images/cbc3ddc3007b3aa004b30c5ebe369df5/tenor.gif

TordelBack

JayzusB.Christ

Fair play to you and the young lad, TB!

On the downside, the last two posts here have inspired me to play QWOP, which I see now was an unconscious way of procrastinating doing my real physical exercise (as is writing this post). 

I have, however, discovered a way to run indefinitely in QWOP, using my right foot and left knee to edge forward.  So it's not a wasted afternoon.