Main Menu

Qualifying 1: 4 - David Baille or Peter Hogan - Ultimate Not Wagner Tournament

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 May, 2020, 06:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So personal biase here, one of these writers has written one of my all time favourite short stories in 2000ad but might not ahve featured enough to stand out in others minds? Lets see, mind the other is a bit of a favourite of mine so... with no more ado today face off whose writing do you prefer for Tharg.

David Baille - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=DAVIDBA

or

Peter Hogan - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=thrills&Comic=2000AD&Field=Writer&choice=peterh

Whose 2000ad writing do you prefer? Voting - just add a comment here with whose work you prefer (and anything else you might wish to say to discuss their work) closes sometime Thursday 14th May?

What the heck is all this about? https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=46406.0

Next face off starts tomorrow...

Greg M.

Hogan. In a dark Millar-y age for 2000AD, he shone: building on continuity, writing characters with respect, re-introducing a bit of charm and whimsy to the prog. He needed to crank up the pace a little, but that could have come. For my money, binning him was a big mistake on Bish-Op's part.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

TordelBack

Bailie had a run of Future Shock/Terror Tale wotsits around 2011-2013 (years not progs) that ranks among the best bodies of short thrills Tharg has ever committed to paper, and Ghostship Mathematica remains one of the very strongest of the 3rillers. I may have missed it, but I'm not sure he really transferred all that punchy energy into a longer or more enduring form - certainly his Chopper story did little for me, although that may be to do with my very longstanding dislike of post-Supersurf 13 Chopper tales. I value the FS form very highly, but maybe you need longer-lasting characters and worlds to make an impact.

Peter Hogan was a breath of fresh air in a dark depressing time for the comic. His strips had people in them, which was definitely not in fashion, a dose of wit and usually some sort of larger direction plotwise. Unfortunately he always seems to be writing already-established strips and characters, even while doing quite different things with them: I was thrilled to see him back in the Prog recently with the gentle and whimsical Zaucer sequel, but i'd really like to see him do something wholly his own for Tharg.

Tough one this, I like and really want to see more 2000AD work from both writers, but purely on size of contribution I'd probably have to go with Peter Hogan.

AlexF

Hogan, with an echo of everything TordelBack just said. He's an erudite fellow, that TordelBack.

abelardsnazz

Peter Hogan, as I seem to remember enjoying the whimsy of Timehouse, and his take on Robo-Hunter was much needed after Millar.

IndigoPrime

Baille did some great stuff. Hogan's 2000 AD work was a bit variable, but it mostly felt he arrived in the wrong era, before 2000 AD had the patience for his pacing.

Hogan nicks it for me.

CalHab

Hogan for me as well, for all the reasons eloquently stated above.

von Boom

IndigoPrime

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 May, 2020, 07:39:23 AMi'd really like to see him do something wholly his own for Tharg
Imagine something like Resident Alien in the Prog! (I mean, we'd have to rope in Parkhouse as well, of course, which I'm sure people wouldn't mind too much!)

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

broodblik

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 May, 2020, 02:18:41 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 07 May, 2020, 07:39:23 AMi'd really like to see him do something wholly his own for Tharg
Imagine something like Resident Alien in the Prog! (I mean, we'd have to rope in Parkhouse as well, of course, which I'm sure people wouldn't mind too much!)

Yes, it is a great match for the prog. Resident Alien is excellent
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bolt-01

Ah, this is a tough one. On the one hand, Peter Hogan wrote Strontium Dogs, and as many have said he was a light in the dark of the era. I also really like David Baillie too - he's a heck of a writer and deserves his place in the comp.

On balance, I'm going with Hogan.