Main Menu

No 2000 AD for Free Comic Book Day 2016

Started by Molch-R, 06 November, 2015, 12:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

I can only echo many on this thread.
The only time I have gone to a comic shop in the past few years is for the FCBD and specifically to pick up the 2000 AD issue (internet is cheaper and easier).
Now I have no reason to go to one, which involve being in a car for an hour. Because of the journey I usually tried to make it worthwhile and spend around £50 in the comic shop.
No need to now.
Glad we'll be seeing the special though.

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 07 November, 2015, 10:41:57 AM
I always made a point of purchasing a graphic novel or bunch of other stuff to support comic shops on FCBD.

Minus 2000AD though, I can't be arsed with Free Super Hero Comic Book Day.

Likewise here. And the last few years' signings at Forbidden Planet which have allowed FP and 2000AD to bring out star Droids, including Ron Smith and Mick McMahon, have been fantastic events.

I'm hoping that they can still get their heads together to do some similar events up and down the country for the newly instituted (by this forum) 2000AD Summer Special day.

BPP

On the one hand it's a great shame as 2000ad was always the best thing on FCBD not least for its original content. On the other hand you can see it being a cost of transportation issue - the past two years have seen FCBD retrench a little in face of cost issues. And there are still great comics from the likes of Boom! Fantagraphics, Image and others. However the dross really does outweighs the cream and to cut Rebellion out seems silly and their loss.

Next year maybe select a batch of artists whose 2000ad work dosent lose detail in reduction (Kev Walker, INJ Cullbard, non-digital D'Israeli) and produce the first US format issue. How cool would that be?
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Geoff

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 07 November, 2015, 11:54:23 AM
Quote from: SuperSurfer on 07 November, 2015, 10:41:57 AM
I always made a point of purchasing a graphic novel or bunch of other stuff to support comic shops on FCBD.

Minus 2000AD though, I can't be arsed with Free Super Hero Comic Book Day.

Likewise here. And the last few years' signings at Forbidden Planet which have allowed FP and 2000AD to bring out star Droids, including Ron Smith and Mick McMahon, have been fantastic events.

I'm hoping that they can still get their heads together to do some similar events up and down the country for the newly instituted (by this forum) 2000AD Summer Special day.

UK comic shops have good reason to be unhappy with Diamond for making this crazy decision. 

I try and go to comic shops now and again - Mega City, Gosh, Orbital - despite the savings and convenience to be had online, but have always made it to FCBD for the 2000ad. Then, like others, taken the opportunity to splurge on other stuff.

Long live 2000ad Summer Special Day 2016!

ACM81

I can say with 100% certainty that this decision was not down to Diamond at all, and was a panel of U.S. comic store owners that run the FCBD panel.

COMMANDO FORCES

That's even worse and annoys me because US comics are not the bloody be all and end all, in the world of comics FFS!

BPP

Quote from: ACM81 on 10 November, 2015, 05:00:21 PM
I can say with 100% certainty that this decision was not down to Diamond at all, and was a panel of U.S. comic store owners that run the FCBD panel.

That makes little sense then as Rebellion are now printing US market comics whereas FCBD really does contain some dross from publishers that seem only to do 1 comic a year. I mean I enjoyed The Tick back in 1995 but lordy it's annual FCBD appearence is toilet and not sustaining any other comic.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

sheridan

What do U.S. comic shops have to gain from the lack of 2000AD?

James Stacey

Quote from: sheridan on 11 November, 2015, 04:38:26 PM
What do U.S. comic shops have to gain from the lack of 2000AD?
More importantly, why does the FCBD have a total US focus if it's now an international event.

Mardroid

I was surprised to learn that specific comics were actually chosen for Free Comic Book Day. I thought it was just a matter of publishers deciding whether or not they wanted to take part and providing their goods*. I mean, it makes sense there is a board somewhere organising things, but I didn't realise it went that far as to choosing who would take part.

Just goes to show how naive I am, I guess.

Anyway. A shame. And one that may shoot them in the foot.

On the other hand, it's nice to know that 2000AD was so successful, even if they were not rewarded for it this time round. I look forward to the Summer Special certainly.

*Okay, I understand that they're not actually providing it for free, even though we, the public, get it for free. The shops still have to buy the comics themselves. And if they decide not to buy certain comics, well I guess that's their decision. But I didn't realise things were vetoed at the board level.

Molch-R

Last month, I let you all know that, sadly, 2000 AD had not been chosen to be a part of Free Comic Book 2016.

Well, I'm over the moon to let you know that we will now be taking part!

It's just been announced that we are a Silver Sponsor our planned FCBD 2016 edition will go ahead: http://www.freecomicbookday.com/Home/1/1/27/981

The 2000 AD FCBD edition will be a hefty 48 pages of thrill-drenched science fiction from Britain's greatest comic and will include exclusive new stories, digital strips, and a downloadable song from MC-1's favourite band!

Creators involved include Alec Worley, Mike and Laura Allred, Matt Smith, John Wagner, Alan Grant, Kek W, Barry Island, Hannah Berry, Peter Milligan, Eric Powell, Dani K, John Burns, Rufus Dayglo, Carlos Ezquerra, Henry Flint, Joëlle Jones, and Ron Smith!

Ben Smith, head of books and comic books for Rebellion Publishing, said: "We are delighted to have been invited back into 2016's Free Comic Book Day celebrations. The clamouring from our fans has been amazing and we are very pleased – and, indeed, thrilled – that we can now bring them our huge 48-page bumper comic, with work by creators including Eric Powell, Mike and Laura Allred, Peter Milligan, Carlos Ezquerra, Henry Flint, and Joëlle Jones – and all for free! Free Comic Book Day is a brilliant initiative for readers, publishers, and retailers and we are very happy to be a part of 2016's event!"

2000 AD has been very proud of the success of its FCBD issue, which saw orders grow in huge jumps every single year – exceeding 60,000 units in 2015.

Fungus

jacob g

margaritas ante porcos

Hawkmumbler

sheridan

If 2000AD is a Silver Sponsor, what do you have to do to be Gold?  The other things I've seen on offer haven't matched 2000AD for quality and original content...