Main Menu

Flintlocks

Started by Delingpole, 24 July, 2009, 03:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip-r mk2

It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Mike Gloady

More firearm pedantry, albeit less historical in nature.....

http://2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,7888.0.html
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Simon Fraser

Quote from: Delingpole on 24 July, 2009, 03:30:13 PM

There are now 3 stories (Defoe, Red Seas, Nikolai Dante) which regularly feature flintlock muskets or variations of, and none of the artists are getting the mechanism quite right.

I just noticed this, so excuse my tardy response.

I am fully aware of the firing mechanisms of various types of musketry having built a Percussion Kentucky Rifle myself and helped build a flintlock duelling pistol back when I was a kid. I've been shooting black powder weapons since I was old enough to hold them straight, my favourite being a .577 Enfield Musket that my Dad owns,  though I tend to prefer cap and ball revolvers.

Dante's Huntsman rifle however is a rifle in name only, it is in fact an immensely complicated and powerful alien artifact that just happens to look a lot like a Flintlock Musket. Who is to fathom the ways of extra dimensional beings and why they design things to look the way they do? Maybe they just thought it looked cool?

Thanks for caring though.

Simon.

Tweak72

Simon Fraser, YOU ROCK! :)
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Richmond Clements

And that's why I love this place.

W. R. Logan

Ive noticed that on some old weapons lazy artists draw phillips head screws on the weapons when everone knows that they werent invented to the 1930's.

Now lets get off this mundane topic of Flintlock rifles and get back to what we all want to talk about and thats how many links are in Dredd's chain.

TordelBack

This thread started in excellent fashion, and has now borne some sweet fruit.

Simon's reply does make me wonder whether Tharg on occasion might profitably employ slightly larger 'recap' pages setting out these sorts of fascinating nerdfacts (rather than just the plot outline) for the longer-running stories.  While I do know Dante's rifle is of extra-dimensional origin, The fact that the original version of The Romanov Dynasty GN I bought doesn't include the Huntsman origin story, and nor is it in my edition of The Great Game, means that I've always been a bit vague about it myself - and that gun does seem to be moving into a pretty critical position in the story.

Richmond Clements

QuoteNow lets get off this mundane topic of Flintlock rifles and get back to what we all want to talk about and thats how many links are in Dredd's chain.

6 or 8. Not 7.

Never 7..!

W. R. Logan

Delingpole

Wow. I started this thread AGES ago because of a genuine desire to help the 2000AD artists get things right in a tiny way. I'm really happy it's been largely taken in this spirit of complete anorakdom, and I'm very proud that some of the great and the good of 2000AD have graced it with their presence. Thanks.

I've noticed on the current Red Seas that all the flintlocks are firing exactly as flintlocks should: The frizen flies open, smoke comes from the pan and smoke, fire and a bullet fly from the barrel. I just want to say it hasn't gone unnoticed. Percussion cap muskets (the next stage of development in firing mechanisms, and more associated with the American Civil War) are another question.

As for Dante's Huntsman - I do realise that this is a special case, but you can only take that so far. Surely having a flintlock style hammer that doesn't actually do anything is a little... unlikely? silly? I like to think that whatever round the Huntsman decides to fire is activated by that anachronistic hammer.

The Doctor Alt 8

Bravo good sir.
And a fellow re-enactor to! (although I am late medieval 1400 to 1500 AD) :D

locustsofdeath!

This may be a seriously stupid question, but I thought I'd ask: do muskets/flintlocks fire bullets? Meaning, would they have been called bullets - or balls or whatever? Was the term "bullet" used at the time? Thanks in advance.

TordelBack

locustsofdeath!

Thought so...but thanks Tordel!