Main Menu

Your favourite books & comics of 2013

Started by Ancient Otter, 02 December, 2013, 06:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancient Otter

To start this thread, off the top of my head some of my top favourite comics were Gamma and Heck.

The Adventurer

I'll second Gamma, one of the crazier one-shots of 2014. I really want to see a follow up. Favorite one-shot of 2014.

Over all Weekly Shonen Jump's One-Punch Man is probably my favorite new series of 2014.

Savage Dragon is of course my favorite continuing series of 2014. This year the title has just been phenomenal as it transitions into its new status quo.

Favorite anthology of 2014 I gotta give to Weekly Shonen Jump. Maybe just because its new and fresh to me, but 2000 AD, as great as it is, felt a little weaker this year then usual. I supose it can't be helped, coming off the heights of Day of Chaos and Trifecta in 2012.

Favorite 'its new to me!' ongoing series was Sonic the Hedgehog. The Crossover with Mega Man was epic, but the regular material is unexpectedly excellent as well. Smartly written, and just fun fun fun!

I read a lot of comics 2013, and it was my first year of going all digital. I might have more to say about it later, when I have more time.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

Unless in some Fleshesque time slip we're shoot ahead is this a retrospective of what we've read this year or have I miss-read things and we're projected forward?

I'll go with my first thought which is looking back. I've enjoyed a lot this year aside from the assumed 2000ad, which while its not had the kind of year we've been used to of late has still been on good form.

From the mainstream while I love my four remaining DC titles (four! Just four how did it get so bad!) I defo have to go with Si Spurrier's X-Men Legacy bloody love this book and while I'm sad to see it go glad it will get a conclusion.

I think Nowhere Men would have been my pick of the year had we seen more than four issues come out. As it is its been a year of new titles with Sex and The Victories possibly being the pick of the bunch from those that have established themselves. The Massive deserves a mention as well as I've loved this title. As do the output of Cinebook that almost always astonish when ever I read any.

Books of the year though are dedicated to my avatar with a sentiment nod of the head to Boom Studio's Planet of the Apes out put so sadly lamented. They produced some glorious books and Si Spurrier's Six Gun Gorilla for which I am making the assumption that it ends as fantastically as the series has been to date. Its been a boomin' good year (see what I did there!)

Mabs

Judge Dredd Megazine
2000AD
Judge Dredd Day of Chaos: Endgame
Prophet
Saga
Nemo: Heart of Ice
The Dept. Of Monsterology
Marshal Law deluxe

Edit: 2014? Oh balls. But those were my faves nonetheless...
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

strongm

My favorite is  Nemo: Heart of Ice   :) .

Batman's Superior Cousin

2012 - Saga: Volume One, Fables, Judge Dredd: The Cold Deck / Trifecta & various Nikolai Dante stories (particularly The Marriage of Jenna Makarov)

2013:
Saga: Volume Two
Fables, just Fables
2000 AD & Judge Dredd Megazine - Various including Defoe: The Damned, The Ten-Seconders: Godsend, Insurrection III, Damnation Station: Series Two & Flesh: Badlanders

I have HIGH hopes for 2014, with Dark Justice and Jaegir for the weekly, the continuation of Ordinary for the Megazine, Mark Millar's Starlight & more Fables and Saga.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

The Adventurer

Fables has been pretty rad this year. Definitely the book to keep an eye on next year as it barrels toward its final conclusion.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Ancient Otter

BPP

15 Non-2000AD things.

Manhattan Projects
Revival
Shaolin Cowboy
Dredd Year One
Satellite Sam
Black Kiss II
Godzilla, Half Century War
X-men Legacy (can't believe I actually liked a superhero comic, fuck you Si Spurrier)
Crossed - Wish You were here (can't believe I actually liked a Crossed comic, fuck you Si Spurrier)
Half Past Danger
Prophet
Six-Gun Gorilla
Baltimore - The Infernal Train
Dept of Monsterology
Goddamm This War
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Daveycandlish

Half Past Danger
Resident Alien
Five Ghosts
Dept of Monsterology
Lobster Random

I'm sure I'll think of more
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Hawkmumbler

One Punch-Man is just phenomenally fun. Seriously good stuff and my favourite new comic of the year.

Saga get's my vote as best ongoing series of the year. Some mad hilarious stuff in this here series.

Attack on Titan is my "out of the blue and conquer your fandom" series. It's not the most well drawn, the mist original or the most clever. But it's consistently written and always at it's heart a disturbing distopia.

Insurrection III is my favourite series to be concluded and the best contribution from the 2000AD family. Hat's off to Abnett and Macneil. A fine series. Let's hope for a complete trade soon.

AlexF

Can I buck the trend by being all Marvel all the time?

Young Avengers has been lots of fun, as has Fraction and Allred's FF.
In line with everyone else, I also dig Spurrier's X-Men Legacy a whole lot, it manages to fit ino the X-Men world very well, while also being unlike any X-book ever written.
But best of the year has to be Al Ewing's two issues of Avengers Assemble - the ones that notionally tied into Age of Ultron. I didn't read any other part of that storyline, which mattered not a jot! Let's hope his Mighty Avengers reaches that standard.

I'd rank Brass Sun on a par with that lot, and I also rated Gunheadz as having a charming novelty to the whole thing, both story and art, and I really liked the recent Beeby/Burns Dredd - I'm a sucker for child heroes, and they often suit Dredd stories rather well (remember when Young Giant led a team of cadets way back in Necropolis? Loved that, I did).

I have read a few book books in 2013, but I don't think any of them were published in 2013. Clearly the best is 'Growing up for Boys' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Growing-Up-Boys-Alex-Frith/dp/1409534723/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1386772863&sr=8-6&keywords=growing+up :D.

Judge Brian

Hawkeye
Lock & Key: Omega
Day of Chaos volume 2
Invincible Compendium #2
Shazam! By Johns & Frank
Rat Queens
Sex Criminals