Main Menu

RoboCop Returns

Started by JOE SOAP, 11 July, 2018, 06:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: dweezil2 on 12 July, 2018, 07:45:02 PM
Just to weigh in, I thought Elysium was a derivative bore fest.
I haven't really seen anything that has impressed me from Blomkamp since the admittedly excellent District 9.
Even his recent internet shorts left me cold.
He has a keen visual eye and flair for sure, but nothing that translates into an interesting movie, for me at least.

Still, it can't be any worse than the steaming turd that was the 2014 reboot movie, can it?

Only saw the remake once, but I seem to remember it had one good thing about it (honestly can't remember what it was - I do know it didn't have the adverts and satire that characterised the real film).

sheridan

Quote from: SIP on 11 July, 2018, 10:18:41 PM
Wall-e was a great film, possibly even Michael Crawford's best.....after Condor man of course.

I couldn't work out what that sentence meant - never realised it was Michael Crawford in the archie footage!

SIP

Quote from: sheridan on 12 July, 2018, 09:28:38 PM
Quote from: SIP on 11 July, 2018, 10:18:41 PM
Wall-e was a great film, possibly even Michael Crawford's best.....after Condor man of course.

I couldn't work out what that sentence meant - never realised it was Michael Crawford in the archie footage!

Yeah.....possibly was a slightly obscure reference on reflection!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SIP on 12 July, 2018, 11:19:19 PMYeah.....possibly was a slightly obscure reference on reflection!

The best kind.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: sheridan on 12 July, 2018, 09:27:15 PM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 12 July, 2018, 07:45:02 PM
Just to weigh in, I thought Elysium was a derivative bore fest.
I haven't really seen anything that has impressed me from Blomkamp since the admittedly excellent District 9.
Even his recent internet shorts left me cold.
He has a keen visual eye and flair for sure, but nothing that translates into an interesting movie, for me at least.

Still, it can't be any worse than the steaming turd that was the 2014 reboot movie, can it?

Only saw the remake once, but I seem to remember it had one good thing about it (honestly can't remember what it was - I do know it didn't have the adverts and satire that characterised the real film).

I do remember finding the scene where he demands they remove the augmentations really eerie. The way they then take everything away and show him how little of him that's left is actually human is pretty disturbing and probably more effective at communicating that than anything that happened in the original.

Other than that I sort of thought it was okay-ish, but seem to recall being annoyed with how it ended ([spoiler]unless I'd zoned out I don't remember there being any clever 'Dick, you're fired!' style way of him getting over his 'don't arrest an OCP employee' directive, he just sort of overcame it by force of will? Or something. I may have not paid enough attention but that part didn't click with me in the remake and certainly didn't have the original's fist-pumping YAAAAASSS vibe)[/spoiler].

Funnily enough, when I first saw District 9 I remember mentioning to a friends that in terms of the tone and splatter (they got away with a surprising amount of splatter!) it was really reminiscent of Robocop and the like. If you'd have told me then that Blomkamp's next movie would be a Robocop sequel I would have been super pumped for it, but nothing else he's done has really impressed.

I also really don't like this idea of making sequels that ignore the other sequels, I didn't want to see Alien 3 written out of continuity and by the same token don't want to see Robocop 2 discarded. That's admittedly me being uptight, but in my mind I'd never see these sequels as canon, and would struggle to see them as anything other than fan fiction or (shudder) one of those Marvel alternate universe things that they do in the comics all the time that just muddy everything up.

I can't say that without admitting wholeheartedly that I'm really excited for this years' Halloween movie which is doing exactly that, so I guess it depends on the quality of the sequels being written off (Halloween 3 is the only sequel I really liked, and that wasn't even set in the same universe so I'm all good with them hitting reset on that one).

sheridan

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 13 July, 2018, 10:28:33 AM

I also really don't like this idea of making sequels that ignore the other sequels, I didn't want to see Alien 3 written out of continuity and by the same token don't want to see Robocop 2 discarded. That's admittedly me being uptight, but in my mind I'd never see these sequels as canon, and would struggle to see them as anything other than fan fiction or (shudder) one of those Marvel alternate universe things that they do in the comics all the time that just muddy everything up.

Same here - see Superman Returns (I think it was called - the one with Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor, who we probably won't be seeing much from any more) and the reimagined Star Trek films (I like them as much as the older ones, but why take something with however-many decades of continuity and then immediately ignore it all?)

GrudgeJohnDeed

Funny that Blomkamp didn't mention Dredd!

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 13 July, 2018, 10:28:33 AM
I can't say that without admitting wholeheartedly that I'm really excited for this years' Halloween movie which is doing exactly that, so I guess it depends on the quality of the sequels being written off (Halloween 3 is the only sequel I really liked, and that wasn't even set in the same universe so I'm all good with them hitting reset on that one).

Yeah the quality of the disregarded films is a big part of it I think, I'd be fine with a proper, big-budget 'Starship Troopers 2' for example, that ignores all those terrible straight-to-video sequels. I'm in the exact same boat as you with Halloween in that 1 and 3 are the only ones I like, I'm still a little worried about the direction they're taking it in with the new one, but I could be wrong.

With Alien 3 though it's odd for me, I rather like it (especially the director's cut) but I must admit a sequel where the burgeoning family unit of Ripley, Hicks, Newt and Bishop survive and have to live in a post-Aliens world is super interesting to me and kinda what I had hoped Alien 3 had been back then. Maybe 3 was a horrifying dream in the Sulaco escape pod? However they choose (or don't choose) to explain it, I think I'd still be able to watch and enjoy 3, although apparently the idea was canned anyway.

A new Robocop sequel should of course ignore Robocop 3 too :D

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 13 July, 2018, 10:28:33 AMI also really don't like this idea of making sequels that ignore the other sequels, I didn't want to see Alien 3 written out of continuity and by the same token don't want to see Robocop 2 discarded. That's admittedly me being uptight, but in my mind I'd never see these sequels as canon, and would struggle to see them as anything other than fan fiction or (shudder) one of those Marvel alternate universe things that they do in the comics all the time that just muddy everything up.

In this particular case it doesn't need to and may not ret-con anything. If they're going on the same premise as the unmade sequel script, it's set decades after the original where RoboCop's situation and environment have completely changed. You could theoretically choose to include or disregard any other sequels or TV series. As it's also a script initially drafted by the creators before any other sequels were being developed, it qualifies as a little more than fan-fiction, but we shall see how much it will change from where it was in 1988 as a very rough first draft to being contemporised.

blackmocco

I love Chappie. You can all go to Hell.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

radiator

QuoteWith Alien 3 though it's odd for me, I rather like it (especially the director's cut) but I must admit a sequel where the burgeoning family unit of Ripley, Hicks, Newt and Bishop survive and have to live in a post-Aliens world is super interesting to me and kinda what I had hoped Alien 3 had been back then.

You're in luck:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/12/17565326/william-gibson-alien-3-unfilmed-script-dark-horse-comics-adaptation

JOE SOAP

Quote from: blackmocco on 13 July, 2018, 05:46:16 PM
I love Chappie. You can all go to Hell.

That's where Chappie is.

radiator

Also - I like Alien 3 too, especially the Assembly Cut. It's a flawed film for sure and has some really bad visual effects, but I love how nihilistic and bleak it is, I love the cast, I love how it completely refuses to try and one-up Aliens and does it's own thing and let's be honest, it has more iconic visuals and moments than all of the Aliens-related movies since combined.

JOE SOAP

Anyone who doesn't accept that Alien 3 should have a wooden planet deserves Prometheus.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Quote from: radiator on 13 July, 2018, 06:23:15 PM
You're in luck:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/12/17565326/william-gibson-alien-3-unfilmed-script-dark-horse-comics-adaptation

Oh cool, will keep an eye on that thanks. I have read Aliens comics before that continued the story before they realised what Alien 3 did to the characters, and some of them were pretty good. Some of these books had the names changed too, presumably Alien 3 had come out by then. Bicks, Bipley and Bewt had survived the Badley's Bope disaster that kind of thing

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 13 July, 2018, 06:28:50 PM

Anyone who doesn't accept that Alien 3 should have a wooden planet deserves Prometheus.

heh I always wondered how that would've worked

Professor Bear

This just sounds like a rip-off of Robocop: Alpha Commando.