Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 November, 2018, 02:38:06 PM
Although when you look at how the popular vote translated to seats, you have something akin to the typical shitshow we see in the UK, in terms of representation (or the lack thereof).

I don't really know much about US politics, but as far as the Senate goes misrepresentation appears to be the actual intention: balancing the interests of the individual states against the overall federal population. In a bicameral system you do need to have some difference in the way each house is generated, otherwise why have two?  Probably a slightly better system than 750 (now 100) peers just getting into the upper house because their ancestors loaned Henry II some dosh in return for half of Ireland. 

House of Representatives on the other hand seems to just be that ol' familiar gerrymandering a-go-go, but at least each party seems to take turns at that, so I suppose it's... fair?  The real joke are the Primaries and the Electoral College - that's a pure kind of nonsense. But we've a couple of year before that circus. 

I do hope Bear is wrong about a re-run of the Hillary debacle (I hope the Prof is wrong about a lot of things), but I'd be surprised if he was. In the meantime I'll engage my inner unreformed creepazoid and say I could definitely stand to watch more of Occasio-Cortez.   

Funt Solo

There are plenty of reasons to be cynical about US politics, but winning control of the House puts something in the way of the Trump steamroller.  Things didn't just get even worse.

Our Washington state managed to pass a gun control law.   (We did fail on the carbon tax, though.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Going off on a tangent here, but this morning I tried to buy a coffee in a cafe where I often go, only to realise they ONLY take card payments (I'd never noticed before, but had fuck-all in my account this time around so tried to pay with cash).

In fairness, they recognised me and took my cash just the once, but as I left, it struck me that this is bullshit of the highest order, and another attempt to keep Dublin out of the reach of the riff-raff.  They can rest assured, I suppose, that no homeless person could ever sully their premises, nor anyone on a very low income. (I frequently only have cash; having spent all the contents of my account or squirreled it away in a distant credit union to protect it from myself.) Or am I overreacting?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

The move away from cash is a move towards more control of the population.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 07 November, 2018, 07:11:05 PM
Going off on a tangent here, but this morning I tried to buy a coffee in a cafe where I often go, only to realise they ONLY take card payments (I'd never noticed before, but had fuck-all in my account this time around so tried to pay with cash).

In fairness, they recognised me and took my cash just the once, but as I left, it struck me that this is bullshit of the highest order, and another attempt to keep Dublin out of the reach of the riff-raff.  They can rest assured, I suppose, that no homeless person could ever sully their premises, nor anyone on a very low income. (I frequently only have cash; having spent all the contents of my account or squirreled it away in a distant credit union to protect it from myself.) Or am I overreacting?
Nail on head. There was a cafe in Manchesters northern quarter that tried that crap a few years back, being a pretty left leaning (and one of the friendlier cities towards the homeless, not to put too bright a shine on my fair lands) once folks caught on to it they just stopped going. Closed down recently.

paddykafka

Had it happened to me I would have told them they would never receive my custom again and walked out.

If my cash isn't good enough then fuck 'em.

Also, is it even legal for them to only accept payments by card? I would have thought that there would be some sort of proscription against refusing legal tender?

Might be something to check with the Consumers Association of Ireland?

Steve Green

Doubt it.

In London the buses have been cashless for a good few years. You either have to use contactless cards, oyster cards or your phone.

In Beijing everyone uses phones, which seems insane.

Funt Solo

I like cash.

(Top Tips: If you've found yourself in a cashless society, take heart!  You can simply send your cash to me and I'll spend it for you.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Like so much of Gibson's writing, there's a line in (I think) one of the original 'Sprawl' trilogy that struck me as prescient even back then. It said something like: 'it wasn't that cash was illegal, it was just that no one did anything legal with it...'
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Interesting. The distinction between cashless public transport (which I Iove) and cashless cafes (which sounds like an abomination) is one I hadn't considered. I suppose the difference is that you can acquire and charge up transport cards with cash (in Dublin at least), and it certainly does speed things up.

I've often in the past struggled to get the money together for a weekly coffee out of the rain,  and the idea that I'd have to have a card to do it, and in the process reveal my self-indulgent spending to all...  Ugh. It's a deeply oppressive idea.

The Legendary Shark

There is freedom in cash, and anonymity. The authorites don't like these things - except for themselves.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: paddykafka on 07 November, 2018, 09:56:01 PM
Also, is it even legal for them to only accept payments by card? I would have thought that there would be some sort of proscription against refusing legal tender?

Can't speak for Ireland, but whilst trying to find out which NQ cafe Hawkmumbler was talking about, I found this quote from the Manchester Evening News:

"It may be legal tender but businesses are under no obligation to accept cash as payment - the term is only relevant in the settlement of debts.
"Whether you pay with banknotes, coins, debit cards or anything else as payment is a decision between you and the other person involved in the transaction," is the Bank of England's position on the matter."

I wouldn't frequent a cashless pub, but I do get surprised looks when they offer me the machine and I hold out a tenner.

JayzusB.Christ

The thing about using a card to travel, at least in Ireland, is that it's both optional and cheaper.  Also, it's a travel card.

The cafe on the other hand requires a credit or debit card, which is at best lazy and at worst elitist.  As I said, they took my cash as a one-off 'favour', but they only explained their stupid policy to me after they'd started making the coffee.  I'll be going elsewhere next time .

Also, they're stiffing themselves for tips. Which in fairness they don't deserve anyway.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dandontdare on 08 November, 2018, 01:32:18 PM
Quote from: paddykafka on 07 November, 2018, 09:56:01 PM

Can't speak for Ireland, but whilst trying to find out which NQ cafe Hawkmumbler was talking about, I found this quote from the Manchester Evening News:
Kicking myself as I forgot it's name, it was in on Red Lion street...

What Jayzus said. I actually binned my contactless to curb my impulse spending. But on a trip to London came to regret it, spending way more than I needed on a day pass I didn't end up needing for the tube. Going against my better judgement, I've downloaded apple pay as a quick solution whenever i'm in the capital and need contactless again, otherwise i pay almost entirely in cash these days.