Main Menu

Caballistics Inc - Hell on Earth.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 11 September, 2006, 05:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

There's always been plenty of Blackflames 2k novels in the big old Waterstones on Deansgate but I noticed they'd got rid of most of their stock last time I went in. When I was looking for their first Anderson Psi novel (got the second) the other day I spotted the Cabals novel amongst a few copies of their latest releases. With me working that night and needing something to pass the time, and with Cabals withdrawal symptoms kicking in I bought it. I didn't have high hopes but I've got all these books so far and I do so love the series.

You have to read the small print to relaise this is a tie in novel. From a quick glance you'd assume it's part of Blackflames generic horror series. The back cover blurb blows a twist that takes place around page 180 thus removing any tension and mystery that it may have held. Nice one.

In Mike Wilds favour he's clearly familiar with the strip and the characters. He proves it regularly by referencing every single story up to the point that the story is set. In detail. A substantial amount of the word count is dedicated to telling us what we already know about the characters, just in a less interesting way than it was told last time.

Ethan Kostabi gets a 9 page chapter to himself. 7 of them are spent recapping his story so far. And after introducing him in so much detail he's never seen again.

Not only that but past characters and locations are featured, and work less well this time around. As a one off character The Brigadier was fun. Making him a supporting character in the novel labours the joke. Returning to Wenley Moor and the Abraxas Research Lab is at least justified by the plot but to have Ravne despising them because of what they do just seems wrong. I seriously doubt he'd give a toss that they're motivated by money.

The novel starts with a prelude that, in a sign of what's to come, establishes mood, hints at the plot and describes the location and then throws the good work away by bringing in every member of Department Q and slowing the action down to describe them all.

We then get a series of unlinked chapters introducing pairs of characters. These work to varying degrees and whilst the research is spot on the characters are not quite there. Apart from every single characters making constant pop culture references (Ravne makes a Bill and Ben reference, The Brigadier is familiar with the films of George A. Romero, a 65 year old recluse makes comic book references, Ness talks of the Doom Patrol).

The Cabals seem to be sketched in with little convincing depth. It's not that Wild doesn't try to get under their skins but it's a shallow portrayal Most misjudged sequences involve Ness caring, even a little bit, about his team mates and later thinking something along the lines of "We fight demons but the government go to war on false pretences. In this sick society who are the real monsters? Aaaaaah".

Wild tries throughout to mimic Gordons style and technique and falls at the last hurdle each time. I can't say why setting part of it in Motley Hall doesn't work when it was acceptable to set previous stories at Hobs End. I can't say why having a thinly veiled Derek Acorah clone doesn't work but a thinly veiled Tom Baker clone does. Maybe I'm being unfair.

And the whole thin is unecesarily tied into continuity again when Micheal Magister plays a pivotal role. I can't help feel that was a mistake, it should have been a stand alone story. It's not like it's going to ever be acknowledged in series continuity so why weigh the story down by linking in with it.

It's not bad really but that's about the best I can say. Not bad really. But this is Cabals, and not bad really doesn't cut it. It's readable but and doesn't make any major mistakes but these books can do more. The Durham Red books explored the world they were set in and I ended up appreaciating the series more. The Dante ones are great fun and show an understanding of the characters, the world, and the rules of the strip. This just sort of happens and then stops happening. Rather like the plot.

And yes, Gordon, there are vampires in it.

Trout

With all due respect to you, David, this book does not exist.

- The big flying thing in Strontium Dog

paulvonscott

"And yes, Gordon, there are vampires in it."

Haw haw.

I won't be getting it, and never was going to buy it, interesting review though David.

I don't count myself amongst Caballistics greatest fans (mainly because I find it a bit hard to connect to most of the characters, I really only ever liked the old couple and look what happened to them) though I do like it, and to my mind is one of the best modern 2000AD series.

It just seems to me that with the best will in the world, licensed work for hire material from external writers isn't the way to go.  If Gordon has something to say about the series, then I will listen.  If someone else has something to say about the Caballistics, fine, but I'm not sure why I should care.

2000AD has made its mark with material where the creators are foremost.  Their creations and their voices are what we want (or if I'm speaking out of turn, what I want).  I don't want some franchised material leaching off my genuine enthusiasm and my wallet.

That's not to say the people working on these books are bad writers (or bad people).  Probably not the case at all, but I'd rather see what they have to say with stories and characters they've created themselves.  And yes, while Rebellion do own the rights to these characters and can do these things, my loyalties are always towards the characters and the original creators.

Perhaps once the Black Flame license has gone the way of all licenses, Abaddon might produce some 2000AD novels.  I've only read one, the Pat Mills co-written ABC Warriors, and I'd buy more books by the original creators.  Imagine a Wagner Dredd novel or what Gordon might have to add about the Caballistics in a novel?  It's not only intriguing, it's really exciting.

As I say, these black flame novels are not intrinsically bad in themselves, like the Big Finish stuff, I enjoyed Jonathon Clements Strontium Dog audios, but even those were marked by a real sadness.  Where were the real authors on any of these things?  Not being payed enough to bother?

As ever with 200AD, I can but hope for a different future.

Rex Banner

I read this expecting it to be awful. Surprised that it wasn't but agree with DXB.

The thing that annoyed me was the referencing of everything from James Bond to Resident Evil, really breaks the flow of the book.

And it did seem that Black Flame is trying to distance itself from 2000ad as not only is there no logo or information on the source material on the cover even the 'if you like this book try these' adverts are for other non-2000ad Black Flame novels.

Haven't got round to reading any of the Durham Red books yet but recommend the Fiends books.