Main Menu

Doctor Who Series 11 Discussion

Started by Andy Lambert, 07 October, 2018, 08:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taryn Tailz

Three thoughts on this weeks Doctor Who, the third of which ties the first two points together:

The visualisation of the time vortex was absolutely amazing, almost like the sort of thing you see used as illustrations of String Theory. It might well be the best visualisation of the vortex we've ever had in the show, so more of this please.

If you're doing a story about giant spiders, having them be the result of toxic waste is just about the most hackneyed explanation you could possibly go for. There was an enormous sense of 'that'll do' about that script, like Chibnall decided to do a story about giant spiders and never actually added anything further to the idea than 'there are giant spiders'.

These two points seem to be re-occurring ones week by week; that the aesthetic choices being made are spot-on in every instant, yet the scripts are lacking. For every single special effect or music score which hits the mark, there's this lingering sense that they're helping to prop up some very average scripts.

TordelBack

Hit the nail on the head there, Taryn old girl. There was a moment this week when the great mass of characters arrived in the kitchen, and it felt like everyone was wondering just what they were all supposed to be doing there: as you say,  giant spiders,  and...?  I'd have settled for the Racnoss by the end of it.

All the more annoying because I'm really enjoying every other aspect of this season, the dynamic of Doctor and the gang in particular.

IndigoPrime

Despite the sea change of those involved, Doctor Who still has the biggest problem since it returned (and something shared by most TV): the lack of a really good script editor with power. Interesting also that the best episode of this current run was only co-written by the showrunner.

Tiplodocus

Fizzled out, that did.

It was a series of "and then" instead of "But then".

Even when they did a "But then" (but then dozens of spiders takedown the corridor towards Ryan and Graham...), NOTHING ACTUALLY HAPPENED. They just ran into the next scene.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 29 October, 2018, 08:07:06 AM
Fizzled out, that did.

Exactly that. A bit like episode two. Really good premise and set up that just didn't get the landing it deserved.

That said the kids bloody loved it and the one thing I will say (well okay one of the numerous things probably) is it does feel like 45 minutes of good straightforward children's entertainment. Something it was no longer feeling like to me before I drifted off.

The kids were in turn terrified and thrilled. As an adult it didn't quite have enough to it...

...well except glorious Sheffield. So much glorious Sheffield and I'm pretty sure if you look like really, really really closely you'll see me and my work colleagues watching that being filmed from our office window... what do you mean "Stop hammering on about Sheffield"... its for everyone's own good to see our wonderful city so well presented.

Another thing. At first I was a bit put off by how uncommanding The Doctor was at a couple of points. When the Trumpalogue was telling them how he was going to sort things his way and no one was going to stop him I was just waiting for The Doctor to put the heebeejebeebs on him... but they didn't instead they looked a little uncomfortable and that felt out of whack me...

...and then it didn't. Doctor 13th doesn't have the surety, that often boarders on arrogance (well often goes into full blown arrogance and then some) of previous Doctors. In part I find that unsettling, but as they keep saying they haven't quite found themselves yet and this adds quite a refreshing level of vulnerability... at times... while at others they seems as in command as any previous incarnations and this sense of someone still in flux is interesting... for now... but again they need to stick the landing...

von Boom

Big Spiders. Neo-Trumpian villain. Lots of rushing about, shrieking, and lamenting. What was the plot again?

sheridan

Should have ended on Metebelis Three...

von Boom

You're not the only one to think that sheridan.

Proudhuff

on the strength of this thread I'll avoid the spiders one  :thumbsup:
DDT did a job on me

Richard

Only one of the spiders would have starved to death. All of the others would have been eaten by other spiders. Like the American said, it would have been kinder to shoot them all.

I hope we see him again in the future, as president. Also, he hates Trump, so he can't be all bad.

von Boom

Quote from: Richard on 01 November, 2018, 12:08:35 AM
I hope we see him again in the future, as president. Also, he hates Trump, so he can't be all bad.
Stalin hated Hitler, so make of that what you will.

Andy Lambert

Word is going round on the interweb that there may be no more Christmas specials for Doctor Who. Apparently they've run out of themed ideas. How much of that is true, I don't know, but honestly, I'm not upset by this news. While some will inevitably see this as another nail in the coffin for having a female lead, I've been bemoaning how stale the Christmas night line up on BBC 1 has been. For so many, many years, I haven't needed a tv guide to tell me the line up will be Doctor Who, Strictly, Call The Midwife, EastEnders and Mrs Brown's Boys. That line up hasn't changed in years and it's boring. I think a shake-up is definitely needed. The last few specials have been pretty piss poor, in my humble opinion.
Talk is that the Doctor Who special will air around New Year, which will not only free it from the usual Christmas trappings, but will possibly allow it to fare better in the ratings.

Change, my dear - and it seems not a moment to soon.

Colin YNWA

If the X-Mas Specials end it'd be no lose. They have been poor for quite some time.

Andy Lambert

The last one I enjoyed was 2014's "Last Christmas"

JamesC

I really like the idea of there being something 'special' on TV on Xmas Day - not just repeats, the Queen or films I've already seen. It doesn't have to be Doctor Who though - a sitcom fits the Xmas special format far better (a shame they don't make any decent sitcoms these days). A new year special would be great though.