Main Menu

Doctor Who Series 11 Discussion

Started by Andy Lambert, 07 October, 2018, 08:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 23 October, 2018, 10:42:16 AM
Personally I think they could have excised the villain entirely.

Simply have the doc inadvertantly cause an issue with the bus driver causing him to be off work before they realise who he is and the part he has to play in the drama. Rest of the episode spent trying to put it right in time.

However, I reckon Ryan has set up a villain for the future...

Villain has device which sends foes into far future.

Villain gets sent far into the future by said device.

Of course they're going to be back!

(watch me eat my words if they aren't!)

JamesC

I thought the villain had been sent into the distant past and was presuming that his meddling would then go on to cause problems later in the series, probably with some jeapoardy directly affecting the present day companions.

Andy Lambert

For the record, it's "Krasko" 😉

Taryn Tailz

Yeah, he was definitely sent into the distant past, as evinced by Ryan's dialogue as he shot him, which amounted to something along the lines of 'If you like the past so much why don't you stay there?'.

von Boom

There were some seriously dramatic moments in this episode. The cop was very menacing and Bradley Walsh's face at the end was a mask of perfect disbelieving horror.

Krisko, or whatever his name was, was terrible. His motivation felt completely pointless and tacked on. How can civil rights make him a criminal several thousand years in the future? It would have made much more sense if one of the companions had made Parks miss the bus at first, and then had to somehow clean up the mess.

Richard

You must not have been paying attention. He was a criminal because he murdered 2,000 people.

If one of the companions had made Rosa miss the bus, then a stupid accident like that would be much less dramatic than having an antagonist who is trying to thwart them while they try to beat him. I'd rather watch the episode they actually made.

Adrian Bamforth

Yeah I think The Doctor has already been too complicit in the problems he's been trying to solve relatively recently; if it's possible to unravel the Matt Smith storyline I'm pretty sure the Universe would be safer without him or the Tardis. Also, it would make it essentially Back to the Future, which no everyone is a big fan of (there, I've said it).

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: von Boom on 23 October, 2018, 03:48:05 PM
His motivation felt completely pointless and tacked on. How can civil rights make him a criminal several thousand years in the future?

While I thought he was a really poor villain, isn't that about the level of thought applied by such people. 'I committed a crime but it must all be someone else's fault, especially someone who doesn't look or act like me'.

Jim_Campbell

How can civil rights make him a criminal several thousand years in the future?

He specifically says "This is where it all started to go wrong". One can fairly infer from what he says that his crime was some kind of race hate crime that would never have happened (been 'necessary' in his view, I imagine) if all the black people had been kept in their proper place to start with. Whilst, yes, this sounds pretty simplistic, as Taryn notes — if you've ever spoken to (or had to listen to) a racist, pinning complex issues on simplistic causes is pretty much their entire schtick.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

von Boom

Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 24 October, 2018, 04:54:47 PM
His motivation felt completely pointless and tacked on. How can civil rights make him a criminal several thousand years in the future?

While I thought he was a really poor villain, isn't that about the level of thought applied by such people. 'I committed a crime but it must all be someone else's fault, especially someone who doesn't look or act like me'.
Then why didn't go back and kill Moses to keep him from getting the 10 Commandments? None of that pesky 'Thou shalt not kill' business to deal with then.

von Boom

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 October, 2018, 05:09:41 PM
How can civil rights make him a criminal several thousand years in the future?

He specifically says "This is where it all started to go wrong". One can fairly infer from what he says that his crime was some kind of race hate crime that would never have happened (been 'necessary' in his view, I imagine) if all the black people had been kept in their proper place to start with. Whilst, yes, this sounds pretty simplistic, as Taryn notes — if you've ever spoken to (or had to listen to) a racist, pinning complex issues on simplistic causes is pretty much their entire schtick.
Quit poking holes in my bubble. It's nice and quiet in here.

I guess I've never really bothered to listen to racists. I just roll my eyes and move on.

wedgeski

I haven't watched the third episode yet but overall I'm liking the new series a lot. It looks and sounds amazing (new theme tune excluded -- just doesn't do it for me; for best version, see Tenant era), and everyone in it is great. JW nails it from the first scene.

The first 10 minutes of ep1 were superbly creepy, although it did degenerate into standard Whovian running and jumping by the end. Then once again, first half of ep2, top class, before all the running and the shooting brought it back down to mediocrity.

Overall, very excited for more.

JamesC

Spiders this week.
Not as strong as last week's episode but still very enjoyable and, I would imagine, suitably scary for youngsters.
I thought the resolution was a bit quick and under explained but I liked seeing The Doctor's reaction to an antagonist who didn't listen to her. The killing of the spider was a really good scene. I wonder if the American guy will be a recurring character.

IndigoPrime

It felt very rushed at the end. Also, I'm not convinced that the American wasn't right here. From what I can tell, they wanted to, what, get the spiders all down into the panic room so they'd starve to death? That doesn't sound overly humane.

Strong character moments though. Promising in a general sense, too. Here's hoping JW sticks around for a while.

TordelBack

Good grief, someone write a story,  please!  Lots of good stuff this week,  but it all just drifted around aimlessly and then...  stopped.  Effects were really good, the Doctor,  Graham and Ryan were fun,  Yaz still pretty dull (dull family didn't help), the very annoying President Draper had unrealised potential (no doubt we'll see him again, but that's no excuse), and scientist lady was completely hopeless.

For the sake of some kind ending,  could the Doc not have brought the spiders back to the Carboniferous so they could breath?  Could Yaz (and her Dad) not have started an investigation into the  illegal dumping?  Anything really,  other than everyone wandering off and the gang drifting back to the TARDIS.

Just give me a damn plot Next Week,  please.