Main Menu

Game of Thrones Season 7: It's A Bit Nippy Out (SPOILERS)

Started by Jim_Campbell, 18 July, 2017, 09:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rara Avis

I don't think it was entirely obvious where the LF / Sansa story was going to go. I know I was expecting some twist on LF's part, some clever plan he was working on, but we never actually found out what he was up to. When the 'twist' did come it was hardly much of a twist, the Starks stick together, and made the whole story line very frustrating. It was bad writing, it would have been a better story if they showed how the Starks were manipulating LF instead of trying to make us think that Sansa would betray her family.

I can't see Daario as the spurned suitor myself, he's a mercenary and Danaerys is royalty. I think that Cersei will bring the Golden Company to Westeros and when they see the army of the dead they will switch sides.

I'm interested to see how the Iron Bank handle this, the Bank and the city of Braavos were founded by freed/escaped Valerian slaves, the Targaryens are descended from Valeria but Danaerys has freed slaves everywhere she's gone.

Maybe the problem with this season was that lacking source material the writers floundered a bit trying to get on the pieces on the board. The final season might benefit from picking up existing narratives in the text.

IndigoPrime

If the Iron Bank's about profit, it won't have any if an entire continent is dead, and other continents are also threatened by massive undead dragons. So it only makes sense for them to join the fight and reap the rewards of whatever comes afterwards. Cersei's ruthlessness means she's either going to somehow nonetheless win out, or go out in a blaze of glory. (Or get killed by her brother, I suppose.)

Hawkmumbler

I'm still standing by my theory that [spoiler]whether the golden company is willing to fight or not, Euron is BSing Cersei and returning to the Iron Isles with the fleet rather than collecting the GC. At this point, no matter the army or the union in the south, the night King is looking more or less invincible.[/spoiler]

Goaty

radiator

QuoteI was expecting some twist on LF's part, some clever plan he was working on, but we never actually found out what he was up to. When the 'twist' did come it was hardly much of a twist, the Starks stick together, and made the whole story line very frustrating. It was bad writing, it would have been a better story if they showed how the Starks were manipulating LF instead of trying to make us think that Sansa would betray her family.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

I just didn't get what Littlefinger stood to gain, either by marrying Sansa to the Boltons in the first place (again, why jeopardise his good standing with the Lannisters?) or by hanging around in Winterfell with no clear objective.

It's a shame. LF - in both the books and the first four seasons of the show (more or less) - is a fascinating character, always three steps ahead of every other player. In fact, one of the greatest twists in the whole saga is the moment he murders Lysa Arryn and the sheer scale of his true plot and purpose is revealed, and we finally understand that he isn't merely a petty schemer in the Great Game, he's the chief architect of the entire civil war and most of the events we've seen play out up to this point, and potentially the key non-supernatural villain (or antihero) in the entire series.

The TV show has, in the last few seasons, made him appear to be at best a Joker type figure, playing every side against one another with the only real apparent goal being chaos for its own sake, and at worst a bumbling idiot and a truly terrible judge of character who got what he deserved.

Wouldn't a better fate for him, dramatically speaking, have been on the eve of his triumph and all of his grand schemes paying off, to have him completely go to pieces and to have his grand plans crumble because of the arrival of the White Walkers and/or Dany's dragons - forces totally beyond his comprehension or ability to predict or manipulate? I suspect this is how his storyline might play out in the books.

Leigh S

Agree with all that - LF is supposedly able to read people to such a degree he has been able to manipulate his way to near ultimate power, yet couldn't sense that Sansa and Arya conflict stank to high heaven as "off".

radiator

QuoteLF is supposedly able to read people to such a degree he has been able to manipulate his way to near ultimate power, yet couldn't sense that Sansa and Arya conflict stank to high heaven as "off"

...and also somehow didn't suspect that the son of Roose Bolton - a notoriously cold and cruel man who breaks oaths and guest rights left and right and happily murdered his own king at his wedding feast - might be a bit of a bad egg....

Rara Avis

I think LF deserved a better end than he got. However with only one season left and the focus turning towards the battle between the living and the dead maybe the writers just didn't have the time to write a decent story to get rid of him. It would have been marvellous if the Starks had used Bran to find out everything he had gotten up to and for the audience to see the net close around him while he continued to play his little games unaware of the gravitas of his situation. In effect treat him the way he had treated so many others .. Ned, Catelyn, Sansa etc

He is *the* most important character the books because he is the root cause of it all.

LF had to have known about Ramsey so what was it all for ... we'll never find out now as they are unlikely to incude it in a Bran flashback. I really hope for tighter storylines in future.