Main Menu

Favourite CLASSIC art droid Round 2 - Brett Ewins or David Gibbons

Started by Colin YNWA, 18 January, 2021, 06:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

And we're back...

Thank you bearing with us over the weekend I errm had to conduct a number of extramarital liaisons and by colleague had to visit some distant beauty spot NOT ermm for his wife's birthday but don't erm worry I will get rid of him in a few months anyway... but we are errr now ready to take your questions. And the first one is from... err let me see... Hopelessly drilled into asking a benign question of little consequence from Bolton. And they ermm ask. "Both Brett Ewins and Dave Gibbons have done some seriously seminal work in comics other than those done for Tharg. Should I consider these when voting?"

Well first can I say thank you for asking this. A truly excellent question, even though we can all by now rattle off the answer in moments ourselves. It errmmm gives me the opportunity to sound in control and to have some form of ermm intellect.

The answer is alas no. No one is more sad than I that we must not, MUST NOT think of either Watchmen, Skeemer, Green Lantern or indeed Johnny Nemo when voting here, but we must stick to this and only think of the work for Tharg to protect the NHS or some other rallying cry which every we are using this week.

I will now hand over to some sycophantic lackey who will basically just parrot what I say here about the Current tourney, but with a more data erm driven reasoning.

Alas we have to pick our favourite and to do so just pop the name of the art droid you'd most like to go through to the Quarter Finals, but please add anything else you'd like to say as well.

Brett Ewins - more info

OR

Dave Gibbons - more info

This one will close and be counted on the morning of Thursday 21st January

What the hell is all this? Current state of play Find out more about the Art Droid Tourneys and Round 2

Who made the 32 in both tourneys?

Entrants in the Current Art Droids Tourney

Entrants in the Classic Art Droids Tourney

Rules for what they are worth

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up.

ming

A very tough one... Brett's Bad Company, Haunting of Sector House 9 and Rogue Trooper work carry a lot of weight for me but I think I'll have to opt for Dave of Gibbons for this round.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

abelardsnazz

Brett Ewins, as *ducks* I think Dave Gibbons' best work is outside of Tooth.

Tomwe

I'm gonna go for Brett Ewins as Bad Company was one of the first thrills I read.

AlexF

sixmo

Punky, anarchic, futuristic. Brett Ewins' art embodies the 2000AD ethos for me, so he's my choice to progress.

Brett Ewins

Bolt-01

IndigoPrime

Chrono-Cops alone almost swings it, but Ewins takes it for me, for embracing the feel of the comic and doing something different, despite rapidly diminishing returns later on.

Sean SD

Brett Ewins  - Anderson covers in the late 400s and Bad Company

Timothy

Magnetica

Got to love them both. For me it is criminal that Dave Gibbons didn't do more for 2000AD. And most of what he did do was before I started reading e.g. Harlem Heroes and Dan Dare.

So on the basis Brett did far more during my readership, I'm going for him.

BPP

Cyboons
The Terra-meks
Rogue Trooper
Chrono Cops.

Cummon people... it's Gibbons.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

ming

Quote from: BPP on 18 January, 2021, 02:42:47 PM
Cyboons
The Terra-meks
Rogue Trooper
Chrono Cops.

Cummon people... it's Gibbons.

That was pretty much what was going through my mind but it was still a really difficult one.  There's a LOT of great stuff on Brett's side of things but it wasn't quite enough to tip things in his favour over Dave Gibbons.

A minor influencing factor was knowing that one of my childhood-favourite Future Shocks (The Last Man) was pretty much lifted panel-for-panel by Brett (see the Swipe File thread: https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?action=post;quote=816706;topic=39512.135;last_msg=1049199).