Main Menu

Shooting completed for Judge Dredd

Started by Mike Carroll, 21 February, 2011, 05:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrpepperami

Michaelvk

Now THERE'S an idea! A Bollywood remake of Robocop! I'd watch that..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Jared Katooie

The reason there are so many remakes is that it is easier to copy an already existing script rather than come up with someting new.

Why take a risk on an original plot when you can use one which has already proven popular? Hell, why not even copy the ideas that didn't work, and try to fix them? Anything to avoid thinking, or using your imagination.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 04 March, 2011, 10:39:54 PM
The reason there are so many remakes is that it is easier to copy an already existing script rather than come up with someting new.

That's always been the way with Hollywood and it will continue while there's an industry that needs to supply as many films as Hollwood makes.

vzzbux

Bollywood is big big business.
Slight tangent. Often when I have installed a set top box and set it up to HD, some customers expect the old grainy black and white Bollywood films to be immaculate. It is very hard to explain the reasons to a 70+ year old Asian woman who speaks very little English. Even some of the younger generation who you would think would be savvy ask similar questions.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Emp

I wont deny that Hollywood has always rebooted,re-made or reimagined films thats simply a neccessary evil or some great films would be forgotten forever since younger generations (christ i feel old) don't want to watch what they percieve as old films.

What gets me is Hollywoods insistance on making films of TV shows that even in their day were not that hot or cartoons (Scooby doo for instance)when there is a wealth of books and comics that are crying out to be made into film. There are plenty of books/comics that the rights have been sold to Hollywood for years, just waiting for someone to have the balls to say, "Hey, i know,lets do something different!"

Though usually when they do they tend to balls it up.

Theres the story of Terry Pratchett selling the rights to MORT only to find some Hollywood exec had said, "Great story, but can we lose the Death guy?"
Result, Pratchett bought back the rights.

CYCLOPZ

Mardroid

Quote from: Cyclopz on 05 March, 2011, 12:54:27 AM
It's been done already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yBnl_krN_U

kinda

That was excellent! Ridiculous and great all at once. Pretty good effects too. Very imaginative.

ghostpockets

Agreed. That was bloody amazing! Cheers for sharing.

Teivion

Let The Right One In is a classic case.
Amazing film, great book ( I did prefer the screenplay I'll admit)

Yet the Hollywoodians chose to remake it so shortly after its original release- if that's not trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator I don't know what is.

JOE SOAP

Looking at the old 2000AD forum, I remember this old chestnut:

QuoteJust read some of the 'new' interviews on the official site.  Alan
Grant had this to say about the Stallone Dredd....
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm glad it flopped, because I thought it was crap. But, at the same
time, I deeply regret its failure, because it represented such an
amazing opportunity: if the film had been a hit, it would have opened
the way to other comics-as-movies as well as giving comics in general
a much-needed boost."
He sighs, without any real bitterness and adds, "I'd have thought it'd
be natural for Hollywood to ask John and me to have a go at the
script. Actually, they did - but they'd had 14 other writers working
on it first. We spent some time working on a treatment together but
negotiations ground to a standstill over cash. Pity, because they'd
have had a much better storyline to work from."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
I've also seen interviews where Wagner said they spent 6 weeks coming
up with a totally unique way to do Dredd that would avoid retreading
what 'RoboCop' stole from them.  When I asked Wagner about this a few
years ago he said they'd locked their treatment in the bank and had
little hope of anyone ever needing it...

Love to know if this 'treatment' still exists or ever did?

https://groups.google.com/group/alt.comics.2000ad/browse_thread/thread/fd99dd21a1e60ce5/6e6eb521c0edbcf0?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=wagner#6e6eb521c0edbcf0

Judge Palmer

Quote from: Emp on 04 March, 2011, 11:06:11 PM

What gets me is Hollywoods insistance on making films of TV shows that even in their day were not that hot or cartoons (Scooby doo for instance)when there is a wealth of books and comics that are crying out to be made into film. There are plenty of books/comics that the rights have been sold to Hollywood for years, just waiting for someone to have the balls to say, "Hey, i know,lets do something different!"

Thanks Imp you put what I was initially trying to get across in a better way.

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 04 March, 2011, 10:41:55 PM
Quote from: Jared Katooie on 04 March, 2011, 10:39:54 PM

That's always been the way with Hollywood and it will continue while there's an industry that needs to supply as many films as Hollwood makes.

And that is why I think Hollywood needs to evolve and use all that wealth of books and comics that are out there. I personally don't want to see the easy option of reboots/remakes being chosen over original material which it seems within the last few years has been the option Hollywood has chosen. I don't deny that after the success of Spiderman/Xmen/Batman etc lots of other comic based character movies were made which while not all were hugely successful the majority were and showed the public that taking a risk and using material and characters never used before could be done. But then to trample all over the financially and commercial  successful franchise a few years after (upcoming Spiderman movie for example) to make a quick buck as well as cashing in on the current 3D money pot is just wrong!   
Creep broke the rules, he's doing time!

Judge Palmer

Creep broke the rules, he's doing time!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Judge Palmer on 05 March, 2011, 03:04:37 PM
But then to trample all over the financially and commercial  successful franchise a few years after (upcoming Spiderman movie for example) to make a quick buck as well as cashing in on the current 3D money pot is just wrong!  

...but what's new?, the comic industry does exactly the same thing every few years, re-booting/re-making characters, killing off villains/heroes, ridiculous resurrections, ignoring continuity, multiple publications etc. It's all par for the course and the fans lap it up despite complaining.

Why should Hollywood be different?, comic fans complaining of such things as remakes/alterations should question the comics industry before they complain about Hollywood which is just giving them what they all ready pay for in the comic world. If you don't like it, don't pay for it that's the greatest power fans have.

Hollywood is a monolith that rarely takes chances that are perceived too risky, look at Scott Pilgrim, it's a fine film but it tanked because there wasn't enough interest shown by fans or the public-at-large so the industry perceives it as the 'audience' doesn't want it to change too much at all.