Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 24 July, 2019, 07:26:34 PM
I've been ripping fuck out of my palm and finger with a sterilised craft scalpel but I've finally got two splinters out.  It hurts like a bastard but it's a much sweeter pain than that of having wood inside my skin all day.

God, those heady days of the summer. Back then it felt like the good times would never end.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

The good woman and I managed to schedule a morning off together. It's the first time we've had on our own together since this shitstorm began. We did some bank stuff,  returned a faulty socket to B&Q, tried and completely failed to find somewhere that served breakfast outside, gave up in favour of sharing a Reese's Peanut Cups that was lurking in the car. Then we  went off for a sea swim instead, and afterwards basked in the unexpected sun while passing rude remarks about our view of Bono's house.

It was nice.

Apestrife

I donated blood today. First time doing so, and probably not the last. Donated the compensation to Doctors without boarders. Also got a little juice carton, crisp bread and iron supplements. #winwin

The Legendary Shark

It's the little things, isn't it?

Today, whilst weeding the Herb Garden in an almost chilly breeze, I had an in-depth and altogether too long, but mercifully entirely one-sided, conversation concerning the meaning of life with a curious robin. It probably helped that I kept tossing it worms.

Still, I thought, feeling a sudden dapple of cloud revealed sunlight on my baldy nut and taking a breath of autumn-tinged air, the robin hadn't disagreed.

So I must be on the right track.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Robins are sound.  My neighbours the Swan family, though, are bastards.  They'll eat bread from my hand one minute, and then hiss at me the next.  Also the dad wouldn't let me go canoeing while they were nesting. 

Back to the thread title though; my pandemic-drinking was getting a bit excessive even by Irish standards, but I've cut down a lot, and it was easy. Not sure what happened; I just decided not to drink as much and then felt like drinking less.  Not that I'll ever be offering that kind of shit as advice to people with a drinking problem, but that's what happened.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Apestrife

Found a good vinyl copy of Nirvana - Nevermind in the local convenience store of all places. The cover made the clerk  a bit stunned.

TordelBack

My eldest lad is DMing his first D&D session (online, cheers Covid) in the kitchen as I type, and despite my promise to make myself scarce,  the loud guffaws and even louder imprecations to "roll d20 - with disadvantage" are filling my heart with happy pride. He took on the role of organizing the session,  learning the rules (and the VTT software), and running the game for a group of mates none of whom have ever played before.

We've done a fair bit of family RPGing at home over the years, but never D&D, and despite being no sort of a reader at all, he's had his head stuck in those books for weeks now. Nor is he a social being, so it's sort of amazing to see him taking the lead, and I see why my own parents tacitly encouraged it, and endured the protracted invasions of my noisy (and frequently noisome) friends.

After a teary morning bringing my 20 year-old feline best mate on his last trip to the vets, this sense of continuity is exactly what I needed.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

JayzusB.Christ

Glad to hear it! Never got past the Fighting Fantasy book stage myself, and even then I didn't play fair (why roll dice and fill out a complex table when you can just say you won the fight and move on? It's not like Steve and Ian could check up on me).

Really sorry about your cat though. I've always been a cat lover and know what it's like when they're good mates and you lose them. Not that it's much consolation but 20 years is a very impressive innings for a moggy.

Funt Solo

Lone Wolf Books VI (Kingdoms of Terror) and XIII (Plague Lords of Ruel) both had unwinnable fights in them, unless you cheated, and II (Fire on the Water) has a Path You Must Choose.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 17 October, 2020, 05:34:37 PM
Never got past the Fighting Fantasy book stage myself...

You probably talked to girls instead. As a former adventuring companion said "you can get to 3rd Level or 3rd Base, but not both" (although I did marry someone from one of my RPG groups - but she wasn't cool either).

My cat was the second one of ours to make 20, and he was the last of our 'original' four cats (we have two 1yr olds, the little shits). He had a very swift decline over just a few weeks, after a happy 6 months of having us all home fussing over him far more than we ever normally would have been. The vet was a friend, and she did the deed with him sitting on my lap on a couch, so there was no stress. It was as good as it gets, really.  We should all be so lucky.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

sorry about your cat, always hard but as you say, as good as it gets.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 October, 2020, 07:59:48 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 17 October, 2020, 05:34:37 PM
Never got past the Fighting Fantasy book stage myself...

You probably talked to girls instead.

I really, really didn't.  I read 2000ad and had a second life inside my head as a character who was incredibly similar to Max Rockatansky.

Glad to hear your cat had a nice end.  It's never easy though. Our uninventively-named Mog was born when I was about 7 and bought the farm when I was in my 20s - she was pretty much a lifelong companion by then. 

Rately