Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

I remember our whole class in secondary school was asked if we supported the abortion ban. Everyone said yes, male and female. We've changed with the times, I'm pleased to say.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 27 November, 2020, 09:56:51 PM
I remember our whole class in secondary school was asked if we supported the abortion ban. Everyone said yes, male and female.

I remember the exact same episode. Mind you, it was Fr. Michael Cleary doing the asking, and he threw in drink and drugs and general abstinence. The big fat hypocrite.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 November, 2020, 10:31:13 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 27 November, 2020, 09:56:51 PM
I remember our whole class in secondary school was asked if we supported the abortion ban. Everyone said yes, male and female.

I remember the exact same episode. Mind you, it was Fr. Michael Cleary doing the asking, and he threw in drink and drugs and general abstinence. The big fat hypocrite.

My word.  No one did hypocrisy like the men in black. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

shaolin_monkey

What bugs me most about pro-lifers is they don't seem to give a flying fuck what happens to the child once it has been born.

IndigoPrime

Fundamentally, it comes down to controlling women. There's nothing more to it once you see past the bullshit. Given that the Venn diagram of pro-lifers is almost a circle when it comes to support for the death sentence, denying children sex education, not supporting children in poverty, fighting against national healthcare, gun advocacy, etc, you can see that their priorities aren't about life at all.

But it again shows how language can be weaponised. 'Pro life' in and of itself is a powerful statement and sentiment.

Funt Solo

It's a political argument that's really easy to sell to children, as well. You say "do you want babies to be murdered?" and everyone goes "of course not, Jesus, why would anyone do that?"

Next thing you know people are parading around outside abortion clinics haranguing the patients (who are already having a pretty fucking tough day, thank you very much).

I lose my biscuits with anti-abortionists. This law in Poland (quite apart from all the other things that are wrong with it), forces women to carry to term babies that are medically guaranteed to die post-birth in great suffering. Apparently, it's God's will. If Preacher got one thing right - it's that we need to stand up to and argue with that God. Take Him to task. There's your path to revelation right there.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 28 November, 2020, 04:13:28 PM. This law in Poland (quite apart from all the other things that are wrong with it), forces women to carry to term babies that are medically guaranteed to die post-birth in great suffering.

This is the way it was in Ireland till two years ago, I'm embarrassed to say. I remember some outraged American (male) expats moaning after the referendum that the reason they lived here was the abortion ban. There's a two - word solution to your problem, lads, and the second of those words is 'off'.

Professor Bear

To be fair, he must be very afraid that they'll make him get an abortion.

JayzusB.Christ

Imagine all the hassle saved if he'd been one.

JayzusB.Christ

Looks like Willy Barr is about to be thrown under that proverbial bus we hear so much about these days.

Say what you like about him, but respect to him for crowbarring his tongue out for a day.

IndigoPrime

Barr is still somewhat playing to the crowd with lines like "we have not seen fraud on a scale that could have effected a different outcome in the election". This leaves the suggestion there was fraud, but it just didn't tip the balance. Still, the nutters have decided he's now part of the massive conspiracy to unseat their man, so, um, that.

Professor Bear

Twitter thread covering the investigation into the Democrats' voter fraud.  I know this will be hard for some people to accept, but it's important to know the truth.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Professor Bear on 02 December, 2020, 12:07:35 PM
Twitter thread covering the investigation into the Democrats' voter fraud.  I know this will be hard for some people to accept, but it's important to know the truth.

That's amazing.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 December, 2020, 12:41:56 PM

That's amazing.

It's incredible, so much so I stopped browsing it incognito mode.
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

This year's Parks & Recreation Holiday Special has gone too far. I blame Chris Pratt.