Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Watched Rob Zombie's 31 last night, overall watchable, but it veered from wretchedly derisive to inspired (the inspired bits being the first and last 5 minutes).

Really great final scene, Aerosmith's Dream On was used perfectly.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Link Prime on 21 June, 2017, 11:02:43 AM
Watched Rob Zombie's 31 last night, overall watchable, but it veered from wretchedly derisive to inspired (the inspired bits being the first and last 5 minutes).

Really great final scene, Aerosmith's Dream On was used perfectly.

I wasn't a huge fan of this movie as a whole, I usually really like Rob Zombie's original films but found large chunks of 31 quite dull and repetitive.

I did however think Richard Brake's performance as Doomhead (and the way the character is written and filmed) was pretty incredible. Definitely one of the best, most charismatic horror movie villains of recent years, I reckon he'd probably be positively iconic now if the movie surrounding him had been a bit stronger.

A friend of mine met Brake quite recently (he came into his guitar shop) and asked him what it's like to have to play such a creepy character, and he just gave him a wicked Doomhead smile and said 'Hey, that's my thing, and I loooove it'. I'd have run out the shop at that point.

The Legendary Shark

John Wick. Last night was my first proper night off in a while and I wasted it on this pile of old bobbins. Wronged ex-killer murders his way through sixteen and a half thousand bad guys in pursuit of revenge. I didn't even make it to the end as my attention was grabbed by some paint drying. Truly awful, this one's going straight to the Charity Shop.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

SIP

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 25 June, 2017, 07:12:39 AM
John Wick. Last night was my first proper night off in a while and I wasted it on this pile of old bobbins. Wronged ex-killer murders his way through sixteen and a half thousand bad guys in pursuit of revenge. I didn't even make it to the end as my attention was grabbed by some paint drying. Truly awful, this one's going straight to the Charity Shop.

WTF???????!!!!!!

SIP

John Wick = awesome.

Thanks.

The Legendary Shark

I know - I'm as surprised as anyone. There seems to be a lot of love for this film on this thread, which is why I watched it. This thread hardly ever lets me down but this time it has. I found the film boring, formulaic and boring. Yes, I said boring twice because it was. It wasn't even annoying enough to get on my wick... Sorry to everyone who loved it but I won't be bothering with the sequel at all.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Smith

SIP

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 25 June, 2017, 11:12:49 AM
I know - I'm as surprised as anyone. There seems to be a lot of love for this film on this thread, which is why I watched it. This thread hardly ever lets me down but this time it has. I found the film boring, formulaic and boring. Yes, I said boring twice because it was. It wasn't even annoying enough to get on my wick... Sorry to everyone who loved it but I won't be bothering with the sequel at all.

Brexit, Donald Trump and now this........madness I tell you.....madness.

Greg M.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 25 June, 2017, 11:12:49 AM
I found the film boring, formulaic and boring.

You did better than I did - I couldn't even make it to the end. Not for me.

Smith

Quick and the dead (1995) Wild West revenge stories have been done to death,but the setting of a gunslinger tournament is pretty original,and performances are great;so in the end-great movie.
Power Rangers(2017) I cant judge it too harshly seeing its a Power Rangers movie.It has its flaws and annoying teen tropes,but its okay.If you liked MMPR before,watch the movie,if you didnt,this wont change your opinion.However,as far as revivals-of-tv shows-as-movies go,this is probably one of the better ones.
Expendables 3 Again,I cant be too harsh since its Expendables,but seems like a serious case of sequelitis.Its sometimes funny(when people are quoting themselves),Mel Gibson is pretty good as the villain,Snipes is okay,Harrison Ford is here.Other new faces are either unneeded(the young team) or wasted(Antonio Banderas).Look,its Banderas,have him carry a whole arsenal in a guitar case.Thats all I ask.

Magnetica

Two films on Netflix yesterday.

Ant-Man: watched this with my son. It was ....ok. Nowhere near the level of an Iron Man, Captain America or GoTG. But he enjoyed it. Glad I saw it but I won't be re-watching it anytime soon. Now I know it is all fantasy/ sci-fi but the physics was a load of tosh. Ok so it strinks the space between atoms....right so how does that make the Thomas the Tank Engine toy heavier? And don't even get me started on the trip to the quantum world.

Spooks The Greater Good. I didn't even know this existed until Netflix suggested it. Watched with my wife. She said "this won't be much good" and she was right. It was like a double episode, but a not very good one. I just couldn't seem to care. And how come Oliver Mace was back as the DG of MI5? Hadn't he left in disgrace years ago?

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Magnetica on 25 June, 2017, 02:10:28 PM

....right so how does that make the Thomas the Tank Engine toy heavier?

Well, obviously the embigenning process causes a quantum vacuum between the receding atoms which induces a multidimensional harmonic resonance throughout the whole intermolecular lattice and leads to clumping of the quantum foam, which in turn twangulates several frequencies of virtual energy, coagulating it into semi-realistic, artificial matter which, exposed to the Earth's magnetic ecostructure, act like normalised atoms to result in the simulation of actual mass.

Simples.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

It's bigger, so it's heavier.  FFS, keep up, lads.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I watched John Wick 2

I liked it, but it wasn't as good as the first one. Keanu Reeves had a go at acting and it didn't work. After the opening scene it started taking itself too seriously. That lass from Orange is the New Black was in it. Although it was a non speaking role, she still managed to put in an atrocious performance. Much like the movie itself, looked good, but not all that convincing or entertaining.

I felt the attempts to set up a franchise undermined this. The first movie was an unexpected treat* out of the leftfield, the really should have left it at that**.

*Maybe the hype deminisned it for Shark and the like.
**Much like The Matrix***.
***Lawrence FishBourne was in this as a crazy hobo prophet. Him and Keanu teamed up again, so that was nice
You may quote me on that.