Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

I can just about understand why you like The Last Jedi - you mostly hate Star Wars, and so does The Last Jedi - but TordelBack rating it above IV and VI? Oh dear god...

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 26 March, 2020, 10:54:07 AM
Splinter, on Amazon. It's pretty decent low budget monster movie with some nicely old school practical effects and splatter, I quite enjoyed it.

Big fan of Splinter. Also, I liked The Signal which is an overlong futureshock and on Prime I think. It's not my last movie watched though. That was Glass which was okay but suffered for M Night's need to have a twist.
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Greg M. on 26 March, 2020, 04:40:02 PM
I can just about understand why you like The Last Jedi - you mostly hate Star Wars, and so does The Last Jedi - but TordelBack rating it above IV and VI? Oh dear god...

Tee hee
Lock up your spoons!

TordelBack

Well yeah, that is a bit of an unintentional aberration. I actually meant of their respective sets. In my own head there are the actual Star Wars movies IV-VI (of which Empire is best), and then there are the other Star Wars things (of which Last Jedi is the best), including the Prequels and the Sequels and the cartoons etc. - all of which I love, but which aren't actually engraved frame for frame on my essential being: I can enjoy them, and I can ignore them, or any bits of them as I please.  Of these, TLJ is my current fave, a film of almost painful beauty, changing places periodically with TPM and the Genndy Clone Wars, which are also kriffing gorgeous.

Sorry if I caused any further distress through my thoughtless phrasing.

Greg M.

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 March, 2020, 05:16:19 PM
...a film of almost painful beauty...

I'll agree with one word of this. And it's not 'film'.

TordelBack

Quote from: Greg M. on 26 March, 2020, 05:36:01 PM

I set 'em up...  :D

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 March, 2020, 05:47:53 PM
Quote from: Greg M. on 26 March, 2020, 05:36:01 PM

I set 'em up...  :D

And J.J.Abrams lets us down.

Hawkmumbler

Eeehhh as someone who didn't see the OG trilogy until his early 20's...gotta tell you Greg, IV is ROUGH at times.

Greg M.

I'm not a Star Wars fan in the way that TordelBack is - it didn't really follow me that far into adulthood - but IV-VI are so inextricably linked to my childhood that it's impossible to be too objective about them. The most objective I can get is to suggest that, contrary to popular opinion, Empire's the weakest of the three overall (but has the best sequence of any of them.)

Colin YNWA

I'm on record as saying Last Jedi is the third best Stars Wars film full stop. And I stand by that. It's better than Return.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I find it, obviously, hard to discuss any other Star Wars things in the same terms as the original trilogy. It's a bit like comparing a series of step parents to the original two who birthed you.
That said, I bloody loved the sequel trilogy- and while Rise was utterly phenomenal and a perfect end to the saga, Last Jedi was the better film- and probably the one I will return to most often.
The prequels are the prequels. Absolutely unnecessary as they are, Clones is at least hugely watchable and Sith is most like a proper film.
My childhood love of Star Wars has not inspired me to watch any of the spin off tv shows with any close attention. If they release The Mandolorian on dvd at some point, I may pick it up.
Wasnt a huge admirer of Rogue One, but Solo is remarkable- shame we wont get a sequel.

The last lockdown film i watched was Justice League, which wasnt awful and passed however long it was on for pleasantly enough. Then I put BvsS on and spooned out my eyes after an hour and had to turn it off. What a load of toss.

SBT

Recrewt

I quite like BvS but you have to watch the extended version as it makes certain things much clearer, like how much Luthor was manipulating things in the background.  The theatrical release cut out too much important stuff and that's why a lot of it made no sense.

I'd still rather sit and watch Batman and Superman duke it out than them fighting that baddie in Justice League.  Best bit for me in JL was when they woke Supes and were fighting him - that was more interesting than the final act of that film!

karlos

4 years ago yesterday BvS had it's first screenings.

I was there, day one, and yes, it was very underwhelming.

The "Ultimate" extended version is much, much better - as you say, Recrewt, it still has problems but now it makes sense, whereas the theatrical cut is pretty much butchered, narratively speaking.

Justice League is legendary for the behind the scenes meddling that saw the film literally made twice.

Here's to the original version finally seeing the light of day.

Keef Monkey

As far as I'm aware I've only ever seen the extended version of BvS, I didn't enjoy it but when I read up on what had been missing in the theatrical version it seemed crazy and like none of the story would have made an ounce of sense. Can't imagine what they were thinking when they hacked that thing to bits.

Watched Bloodshot and thought it as a decent enough comic book origin movie, I have a possibly strange fondness of seeing Vin Diesel being all gruff and punching people though so depending how into that you are experiences may vary! I thought it had some good Vin punching though, and a couple of the action scenes were staged in a very visually striking way that I liked. I'd watch a sequel, but it occurred to me that the usual measure for whether a potential franchise gets off the ground (box office) doesn't apply here so wonder how that decision will be made.

Also rewatched Captain Marvel, quite liked it in the cinema but then sort of forgot all about it and tended to think of it as one of the weaker Marvel films. For some reason enjoyed it way more this time, like all the sci-fi designs and Brie Larson is a great hero lead. Actually think it might be one of my favourites now, not sure why it washed over me so much first time round!

And Teeth, which I remember everyone talking about in the '90s but somehow never got round to. We had a hoot watching it, yelping at all the injuries (some of it is a lot more graphic than I expected and cannot now be unseen, there were a couple of real 'cushions over faces' moments) and it got laughs in all the intended places. Glad we finally ticked it off the list.

Tjm86

Well the girls have been nagging about Disney plus.  Given the current circumstances I relented.  Mind you, the chance to have a gander at the Mandalorian did help their case.  First up though was a re-watch of the Black Hole.

To a certain extent it still holds up well.  A cracking cast, albeit Maximilian Schell hamming it up to the nines. Ernest Borgnine, Roddy McDowell, Yvette Mimeux, Anthony Perkins. Robots all over the place and a script I unfortunately can still quote virtually entirely as a result of the soundtrack LP my parents bought me back in the day ...  "Oh, you can't mess with perfection!". "We are going through!"

It really does benefit from a suspension of disbelief though.  One moment the cast are trying to avoid being sucked into space after a meteorite strike, the next moment they are clambering over the outside of the Cygnus.  It's just is odd in places.

One of those films that didn't go down too well at the time, that doesn't have much love even today, but still rewards.