Main Menu

Marvel Superheroes hit Netflix

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 28 May, 2014, 04:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 29 April, 2016, 12:43:43 PM
[spoiler]the rescued kids turning all Jerusalem's Lot, and who was in the resurrection chamber when Matt broke into the hideout? I guess maybe all of the Hand's ninjas go through there, Wolverine comic showed they are pretty much all brought back from the dead.[/spoiler].

Haven't read the comics, but my read of it in the show was that [spoiler]there was never anyone in it, rather everything they were doing with the blood etc. was prep work to 'charge' it for a single use, and it's purpose was always to bring Elektra back if things went that way.[/spoiler]

Could be wrong though, but was the way it seemed to me!

Satanist

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 April, 2016, 07:12:07 PMI've always found Punisher a bit one-note anyway, so having him murder his way through 13 episodes, justifying it because they're bad guys, seems like it could get quite tedious.

You could say the same about Dredd(comic) or Dexter(tv) as characters. All they have to do is follow Ennis Punisher Max run (especially the Slavers story) and you would have some quality drama right there.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

IndigoPrime

Perhaps. To be fair, I don't know Punisher all that well, but the Ennis stuff I read didn't feel especially deep nor terribly nuanced. And I never finished watching Dexter (I think I watched five or six seasons), but it had some complexity beyond "kill someone every week just because they deserve it".

I'm quite happy to be proven wrong with this, but it doesn't strike me as a show I'll be clamouring to watch on day one. (Mind you, we've stalled on DD in IP HQ now. Not sure when we'll finish it. It doesn't help that Matt Murdoch is an intolerable, selfish, delusional prick, who I'd be quite happy to see written out of his own show.)

Theblazeuk

Depends on which Ennis.

The Marvel Knights run is Ennis indulging himself by gleefully abusing all of the Marvel standards of spandex and ridiculousness. It's fun - it gave us the Russian, Wolverine getting steamrollered and lots of other good stuff - but it's never deep. Never lets seriousness get in the way of a good joke though you do get a decent plot and characters throughout, it's basically Preacher without a philosophy.

The MAX run though is where the gloves come off and the Punisher leaves the world of superheroes, and becomes a well-equipped serial killer with only one kind of prey.

Anyway... back to DD. I think the weakest part of this season has been the lack of Nelson and Murdoch.

IndigoPrime

Looking at Wiki, we made it to episode 9. I'm sure we'll get round to the other four at some point, but, really, I couldn't give a shit about Murdoch. I'm mostly watching for Karen Page now (and hoping that the people behind the show don't follow her path in the comics remotely closely, because otherwise nuts to the series).

Dandontdare

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 03 May, 2016, 04:16:27 PM
I'm mostly watching for Karen Page now (and hoping that the people behind the show don't follow her path in the comics remotely closely, because otherwise nuts to the series).

There has been the odd line of dialogue that suggests they will. I do not foresee a happy ending for Karen!

JamesC

Well I've just finished watching Daredevil series 2 and, I have to say, I have pretty mixed feelings about it.
Firstly, I think the whole thing is just too slow paced.
The Punisher and Karen Page are obviously the best things about it and Josie's is a great location that feels like a real place. I think Nurse Claire is a good character too and it's a shame she didn't have more to do.
Matt Murdock himself is sort of likeable despite his mopeyness, due to the performance of Charlie Cox. Unfortunately the whole Hand/Elektra/Stick plot was just boring. I couldn't care less what happens to Elektra, she's a totally uninteresting character. I got completely fed up watching Daredevil punch 3rd rate ninjas too - again, it was just boring.
What else?...Oh yes, Foggy Nelson. A really good character in the first series but this time it felt like he was only there to remind the viewer that there's something else Matt should be doing.

I'll be interested to see where things go from here. The Punisher show holds promise - I thought his portrayal in DD was interesting but I wouldn't go so far as to say they 'nailed it'.
In future DD series I'd like to see a slightly more upbeat tone and a faster pace.   

Tiplodocus

Quote from: JamesC on 25 May, 2016, 01:45:11 PM
I got completely fed up watching Daredevil punch 3rd rate ninjas too - again, it was just boring.

I agree with lots of the above and in particular this bit.  There was just a sameyness to the actin sequences that meant it got pretty dull and repetitive.  There was an episode where they had a bit of a car chase - surely by now the most boring of Hollywood staples - but it stood out just because it was different.  (Similarly, the episode where they actually went out in daylight and blue skies was a welcome relief to the dark colour palette).

It needs a bit of inventiveness; a chase swinging over the roof tops might be fun, a tense heist scene or a fight that takes place in, and utilises the props of, a different physical envirnoment (something other than a rooftop or a corridor!).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Theblazeuk

Yeah, the swarms of ninjas definitely proved the rule of Conservation of Ninjutsu

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ConservationOfNinjutsu

IndigoPrime

We trudged through the final two episodes last night. Safe to say I'll be watching any third series on my own—if I bother. Matt Murdoch remained a total dick right until the end, to the point I just don't care about him in the slightest. I'm not very familiar with Daredevil comics, and so I don't know if he's usually this much of a selfish git with a martyr complex, but urgh. Karen Page was excellent, and I really don't understand people's obsession online with her character not adhering to the comics. Her end there is fucking horrible. If they did that on the telly, I might quit with Marvel-related stuff altogether.

As for the finale itself, it had some serious Stormtrooper stuff going on. A million ninjas! Now suddenly only a dozen or so! Heroes beat the shit out of loads of enemies! Heroes now get duffed up by one enemy! The lack of internal logic was evident and the fight scenes were just dull.

By the end, Foggy was anonymous too, and I couldn't give a rat's arse about Punisher, who shows up too late to save one person getting stabbed, because, hey, the plot demanded that the guy who can apparently predict where a person will drive can't make it to a rooftop in a timely fashion.

JamesC

The Daredevil comics tend to range between dark and dismal - with Matt and co (particularly Karen) being put through the wringer - and street level swashbuckling. I prefer the latter if I'm honest.

Dandontdare

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 25 May, 2016, 03:20:36 PMKaren Page was excellent, and I really don't understand people's obsession online with her character not adhering to the comics. Her end there is fucking horrible. If they did that on the telly, I might quit with Marvel-related stuff altogether.

I can certainly see the rest of your points but this one I don't get - It's true that Karen's fate in the comics was horrible, but it was a bloody good story, one of the most gripping periods of DD history. Often the best drama comes from horrible things happening to good people. If every character we were supposed to root for had a happy ending, there'd be no tension or tragedy and everything would have a sanitised Disney feel. To see her decline as per the comics will certainly be harrowing, but at the end of the day, it's all fiction!

Even if you think this is the wrong way for this particular character to go, or decide that you just wouldn't enjoy watching it (there are a number of brilliant powerful films that I don't really want to watch again because they are so upsetting); to boycott marvel's entire output smacks of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

IndigoPrime

It's just, well, Frank Miller. It struck me as unnecessarily vile, and a bit too much like fridging. I'm not against drama nor loss, but the character deserves better, and her path in the MCU's already suitably different from what I know in the comics.

Link Prime

Quote from: Goaty on 09 March, 2016, 10:21:05 AM
Quote from: Link Prime on 09 March, 2016, 09:38:14 AM
Looks great.
I'm one of the few left on Earth without a Netflix account, so it will be a while before I catch up with this.
I've been looking around for a Blu-ray of the 1st season too, nowhere to be found yet.

Season 1 will be out on Blu-Ray in June this year.

Zavvi have it up for pre-order, release date pushed back to October.
That Joe Quesada Steelbook has turned my head; http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/daredevil-season-1-zavvi-uk-exclusive-steelbook/11312347.html

Goaty

Luke Cage trailer - so every series got to have that scene?
http://youtu.be/ml_xt1KAgyo

Iron Fist teaser trailer
http://youtu.be/a_N2sJZBAT0

The Defenders teaser trailer
http://youtu.be/1o5UjCKzh1s