Main Menu

Misheard lyrics

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 04 July, 2014, 11:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Thanks to Google, I've realised what a fool I've been all my life.

The Pixies' 'Debaser' says 'Got me a movie... girlie so groovy', not 'Got me moving... girl you're so groovy.'  (Forunately I realised it was 'slicing up eyeballs' rather than 'marbles' when I realised it was about a Dali film).
Also, the screaming and yelping in 'Vamos' is just Black Francis saying 'let's go and play on the beach' in Spanish.

The Inspiral Carpets' 'Sackville' says 'where little boys meet little girls', not 'where you stood 40 years ago.'  It seems a bit of a jump, but seriously, listen to it.

Lots more where that came from, as soon as I remember them.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

I used to wonder why Bob Marley sang about "a roof-rack over our head".

And there's the old chestnut of course, Jimi Hendrix singing "Excuse me while I kiss this guy"

SmallBlueThing

Also "Ohhhhh- wo-wo, my ear's are alight!" ("Israelites"). Which I confess, since reading years ago, I have not been able to unhear every time the song is on.

Famously I used to be convinced "Three lions on a shirt/ Jules Rimet still gleaming" was "Three lions on a shirt/ Shilton's face still gleaming", until my mistake was pointed out by a football-mad and highly amused friend.

Not music, but I still can't watch that clip from Dr Who's 'Dalek Invasion of Earth' story, without hearing the titular metal meanies chant "We are the bastards of Earth! WE are the BASTARDS of Earth!".

SBT

James Stacey

Quote from: Dandontdare on 04 July, 2014, 12:26:28 PM
I used to wonder why Bob Marley sang about "a roof-rack over our head".

And there's the old chestnut of course, Jimi Hendrix singing "Excuse me while I kiss this guy"
There is even a database named after it
http://www.kissthisguy.com/

My favourite was when someone in school was adamant the words were 'don't cry for me aunty Tina'

Jim_Campbell

Someone on a forum I used to frequent was astonished when I told them the Velvet Underground weren't singing about "tiny, tiny, tiny boots of leather..."*

Cheers

Jim

*That would be Soft Cell, surely?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

I, Cosh

Bill Oddie, Bill Oddie, Put your hands all over my body.

When I was just a slip of a girl, one of our weekend haunts was a dreadful, smalltown Scottish rock club which could be relied upon to play exactly the same songs every week. Even with the repetition, this wasn't so much misheard as simply incomprehensible: Hey little thing, let me light your catapult 'cos mama I'm sure the handle, it spins around!

NB May not actually have been this version.
We never really die.

Proudhuff

I saw the pheasant, you saw the whole of Dunoon
DDT did a job on me

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 04 July, 2014, 01:24:38 PM
Famously I used to be convinced "Three lions on a shirt..."

And I have to admit, I thought until now it said 'three lions on the shore'.  Dear me

I remember someone writing into a radio show that they used to mishear 'It's so funny' as a reference to a lady's mammaries and genital area.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

I, Cosh

Quote from: Proudhuff on 04 July, 2014, 03:42:12 PM
I saw the pheasant, you saw the whole of Dunoon
... you got your hole in Dunoon..
We never really die.

Proudhuff

its that from now on.

if your bored and listening to the radio, cheer yourself up by singing along but insert the word pants instead of heart or lurve, if you're really wanting to push the boat out substitute the tear/tears with pish
DDT did a job on me

M.I.K.

I used to think that bit in Bohemian Rhapsody went "Beelzebub has a devil for a sideboard, me".

Also, this is more mishearing on purpose, but it used to fascinate me that if you hear this theme tune, and listen for the word 'poo' instead of 'clue', that's what it'll sound like every single time. Listen for them singing 'clue' again, and that is what you'll hear.

It's like an audio version of wave-particle duality or something.

Eric Plumrose

'Dale Winton's old sweat' from Sin by Nine Inch Nails. Misheard once, even though I knew the actual lyrics.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

DaveGYNWA

I reckon Blackmocco can testify to this - I used to sing "I live just south of heaven" instead of "On and on south of heaven" to the Slayer song (you guessed it) 'South of Heaven"
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Dandontdare

Quote from: M.I.K. on 04 July, 2014, 08:00:29 PM
Also, this is more mishearing on purpose, but it used to fascinate me that if you hear this theme tune, and listen for the word 'poo' instead of 'clue', that's what it'll sound like every single time. Listen for them singing 'clue' again, and that is what you'll hear.

well since that's the first time I've heard that since 1989, on average it'll be another 25 years before I get to test your hypothesis

flip-r mk2

Always thought it was 'shes so obvious' until it was pointed out to me that Peter Gabriel actually sings 'Jeux sans frontieres' in Games without frontiers.
filippo
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana