Main Menu

What's the problem with Zenith?

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 15 April, 2003, 03:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Eh? Why can't Rebellion/ Titan just print the reprints? BEing well up to date, I hear there is some kind of problem reprinting the Zenith stories. How can this be? Surely Rebellion own the strip and can just bung it out on the streets?

Not, I should add, that I care - I bought the Titan collections of Phases I, II and III (the only ones I've ever bought when I had the original comics).

Zenith is, however, such a good tale that any more recent converts really should have the chance to read it.
Lock up your spoons!

Slippery PD

DrX - Im sure there are a number fo threads on this.

In summary its like this.  Morrison claims Zenith is his, Rebellion claim its theirs.  They ahave writs against each other.  Until a settlement is reached, Zenith Phase 1 which is fully printed and ready to go.  has to stay in a warehouse.  

Personally, Id like them to tell us where the warehouse is and we could raid it :-)

Yer "tongue in cheek" Slippo  

Marbles

I don't wanna get in the moral rights and wrongs of creators rights etc, but surely in purely legal terms Morrison can't have a leg to stand on ?
Er, that's if he did sign a contract etc ??
Remember - dry hair is for squids

paulvonscott

If he does lose, I'd like to see someone else writing Zenith.  Normally I'd be dead opposed to a different creator taking over, but in this case I wouldn't mind, it's a great strip for poking fun (sorry I should have said satire) at modern britain as well as being a great character and strip (potentially) and I reckon that someone other than grant Morrison could make a better go of it.

I wonder if we'll have the same issues with his starblazers and the rest of his work for 2000AD and Crisis.  Er...then again, maybe not.

W. R. Logan

>Er, that's if he did sign a contract etc ??

Think thats the crux of the argument.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Richmond Clements

I may be wrong here, but I think that Button Man was the first creator owned strip in 2k.
Do you think he's arguing over who owns Really and Truly?
Probably: he says they do, but they say it's his.

JayzusB.Christ

'I reckon that someone other than grant Morrison could make a better go of it. '
Couldn't agree less. I can't imagine anyone else doing Zenith as well as he did. Get too many writers mucking around with other people's characters and you end up with New Robohunter and Rogue Trooper: The Golden Fox Re-shite-ion (Can you see what I've done there?).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

paulvonscott

I can also quote examples of stories where new writers have given characters a whole new lease of life.  But I agree the wrong writer on a strip just kills it dead.

JayzusB.Christ

Well, that's true, Swamp Thing springs to mind (or so I believe; I never read the first ones). 2000ad doesn't seem to good at it, though, except for the occasional gem like Cinnabar.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"