Main Menu

'Fear the walking dead' - Whats the verdict so far?

Started by Michael Knight, 07 March, 2017, 05:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

So up to episode13 of Season 3 and it's been cracking stuff. Strang at the Dam with Dante and Daniel was great. Otto, Walker and the ranch finished well and then we get a horde.

The moral decision to be made in the pantry was exactly what I have been missing from comic and main show.

Some gripes; it was very convenient who the only survivors from the ranch were but this is enjoyable and gruesome stuff. And I'm not even at the season finale proper yet.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Richard

I couldn't make it through the first episode of the first series, it was so boring.

Proudhuff

While I'd recommend the whole thing to anyone, in preference to TWD main show.
DDT did a job on me

moogie101

Stuck with the first series but gave up at the start of the second. Just found it boring & hated several of the actors.

Proudhuff

Hated the character or the actual actor? Some of the characters develop over that series...
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

Season 4 of Fear The Walking Dead has popped up on Amazon Prime.

And what a cracking opening it is; two great new, if ever so slightly improbable characters, one crossover and up until the last minute, I thought I was watching TWD.

The timeline makes no sense though. Isn't FEAR still in the first couple of years of the Apocolypse? TWD must be 3 or 4 years ahead of that. Did the crossover character run back in time as well as halfway across the continent?

Proudhuff

Nope, think there was a fair bit of timely wifey passed when Kim Dickson copped it...
DDT did a job on me

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 01 July, 2019, 11:34:04 PM
Season 4 of Fear The Walking Dead has popped up on Amazon Prime.

And what a cracking opening it is; two great new, if ever so slightly improbable characters, one crossover and up until the last minute, I thought I was watching TWD.

The timeline makes no sense though. Isn't FEAR still in the first couple of years of the Apocolypse? TWD must be 3 or 4 years ahead of that. Did the crossover character run back in time as well as halfway across the continent?

The start of season 4 of Fear... is set over a year after the end of season 3, so that brings the two shows (at that point) to around the same point in time.

The passage of time on the main show is waaaay slower than you might think.... I was reading a thread on reddit once where they were working out the timeline and it turned out that roughly four months passed between when [spoiler]Herschel was beheaded by the Governor[/spoiler] and Negan's first appearance. o.O

MacabreMagpie

Personally I REALLY loved season 3 of Fear, I felt it was the better of the two shows in terms of writing quality and always looked great whereas TWD had been giving me bland-fatigue for years, but they really sank it in season 4 and it's barely watchable, to me, anymore. Unsurprisingly, that has a lot do with [spoiler]the main cast changing so drastically[/spoiler].

As alluded to above, there was a lot of talk about the spin-off being better than the main product during season 3 so the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if they deliberately sank it from season 4 onward to make the main show look better. ;p 

Tiplodocus

Five episodes in and really enjoying it.

Always amazed how they happily kill of characters with abandon. Seems like nobody is plot armoured.

The episode with John and Laura is just lovely stuff.

Proudhuff

The Fear the Talking Dead, have pointed out anyone who becomes 'the moral compass' from that series gets it ASAP...

The current series still has the problem of unending 'Gas' and even aviation fuel
, that at least was quietly addressed in the comics, still don't know why there were next BMX bandits in any of the comics/telly series  ::)
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

Mid season finale and another major character carks it. First mis-step for me, just didn't like the way it was all done in flashback. But given the pervasive theme of story telling and truth, there is still room for this idealised heroic death to be subverted in some way.

We are now left with a gang who have all, at one point, flip-flopped either side of the "all people are worthless/We must save all people" line.

So that basically means any episode can go any way depending on how writers feel.

I do like the western influences though. And the clear divide between colourful past and grey, washed out present.

Proudhuff

I watched this on Monday and have already forgotten wtf happened.. [spoiler]Building airplanes, balloon rides and Cheryl's Dear John read by John  ;)[/spoiler] is about all I can remember oh and something about an [spoiler]atomic reactor [/spoiler] and [spoiler]special zombie blood  ::)[/spoiler]
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

Proudhuff

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 10 July, 2019, 05:55:46 PM
Are you on Season 5?

What ever one is premiering currently on AMC on a Monday evening

DDT did a job on me