Main Menu

Morrison's Batman and Robin getting an extended run

Started by Colin YNWA, 09 December, 2009, 04:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 January, 2010, 03:15:39 PM
I'm afraid I didn't enjoy 7 anything like as much as the first 6.

Me neither, to be honest. Not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but a fairly hefty drop-off in quality perhaps unfairly accentuated by the standard of the previous issues.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 January, 2010, 03:15:39 PM
I also don't really get Batwoman's (is this Babs back on two feet?) involvement, but that is probably due to having had to abandon the enjoyable Darkest Night for financial reasons.

Its not Babs - though she is coming back in a new series of Birds of Prey apparently by Gail Simone (yes yes yes) but some new lass the details of which escape me but I have read. Apparently her new material in Detective Comics is brillant and I may pick up at a latter date.

As for her appearence here I was totally baffled but assumed that'll be picked up in the next couple of issues?

Emperor

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 31 January, 2010, 03:42:44 PM
Its not Babs - though she is coming back in a new series of Birds of Prey apparently by Gail Simone (yes yes yes) but some new lass the details of which escape me but I have read.

Its Kate Kane, based on the previous Batwoman but give a post-Infinite Crisis reboot, there was a big hoo-ha over her sexual orientation but they don't overplay it in the comics I've read. She appeared early on in 52 and has had an increasing role since - as Colin mentions she is now the lead in Detective Comics (written by Greg Rucka, who I assume was the writer for much of her appearances in 52 (and is the perfect writer for this kind of story) and she is going to be the Bat Family representative in the JLA so she is really stepping up to be the serious female counterpart to Batman she should always have been. I assume her appearance here is part of her big push with a story appearing with the current Batman (the irony being she has been Batwoman longer than he has been Batman).

A lot more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batwoman#Kate_Kane_.282006-Present.29
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

TordelBack

Cheers, Emp!  I never got around to 52, so that's very helpful.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Emperor on 31 January, 2010, 06:43:24 PMIts Kate Kane, based on the previous Batwoman but give a post-Infinite Crisis reboot, there was a big hoo-ha over her sexual orientation but they don't overplay it in the comics I've read.

Clearly I'm not reading the same Detective Comics as you, Emp - the one I'm reading has a butch, body-building, tattoed, sexually aggressive ex-marine with daddy issues as the central protagonist, whereas 52 had a socialite who happened to have gone out with someone from the Batman cartoon show and all the hoo-ha happened among fanboys.

I do also wonder how Kate Kane and Batwoman are the only two people in all of Gotham City with bright red hair and no-one who lives there has seen fit to comment on it.

Emperor

Quote from: Professah Byah on 31 January, 2010, 09:47:24 PMClearly I'm not reading the same Detective Comics as you, Emp - the one I'm reading has a butch, body-building, tattoed, sexually aggressive ex-marine with daddy issues as the central protagonist, whereas 52 had a socialite who happened to have gone out with someone from the Batman cartoon show and all the hoo-ha happened among fanboys.

Well I'm not reading Detective Comics - I was going by 52. That all sounds a little... off.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Desiree

I wonder why Batman should has Robin, Batman alone with all wounds, sorrow, cars and fight, is enough for me, adding super hero make batman back before it begins

Mardroid

Quote from: Professah Byah on 31 January, 2010, 09:47:24 PM
I do also wonder how Kate Kane and Batwoman are the only two people in all of Gotham City with bright red hair and no-one who lives there has seen fit to comment on it.

I haven't read Detective Comics, but I know of someone who is a big fan. And she mentioned that the long red hair is in fact a wig. I.e. it's part of the Batwoman costume. (Her real hair is quite short. As for whether it is red too, I don't know, but I'm thinking the change in length is quite a decent disguise.)

Edit. Okay, just seeing this wiki image...

Um... maybe she had a haircut later? Or maybe she's the butcher looking one on the right.... (so long but different colour.)

The Monarch

No thats renee montoya one of the few batman the animated series characters to make the jump to comics.

Oh and shes currently the question...

Dandontdare

Quote from: Desiree on 08 February, 2010, 08:08:02 AM
I wonder why Batman should has Robin, Batman alone with all wounds, sorrow, cars and fight, is enough for me, adding super hero make batman back before it begins

I don't care if she is a spambot, that's the best post I've ever read on Batman.

TordelBack

There now, Issue 8 eliminated all my concerns with 7 - right back on track with [spoiler] insane Batman clones and snarky Robin dialogue[/spoiler].  Turns out the Damian character is a big part of the book's appeal for me, and it's good to have him back  - makes up for artwork I find to be highly skilled but a little... vanilla after the style of the previous two arcs. Some nice Mazzuccheli-like panels in there though.   I do like the way the 'Next Issue!' preview is incorporated into the final page of artwork, reminds us all that this is Comics we're reading, and not a 'graphic novel' or 'sequential art' - comics!

Loved the idea that a [spoiler]clone of Bruce Wayne programmed with all his experiences[/spoiler] is by default insane.  Was that [spoiler]Darkseid doing the cloning - my DC-fu is weak[/spoiler]?   Whoever he is, if he has access to all Wayne/Batman's experiences, doesn't that mean he knows Wayne is (was) Batman?  I'm thinking too much again, aren't I.  Still the best yanqui comic I'm buying, which is a good thing, as it's also now the only yanqui comic I'm buying.  

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 February, 2010, 11:26:29 AM
makes up for artwork I find to be highly skilled but a little... vanilla after the style of the previous two arcs. Some nice Mazzuccheli-like panels in there though.
I was surprised to get another one just a couple of weeks after the last and was keen on the Geordie lad. I thought some of the art in this issue was pretty ropey by Stewart's standards. The extended fight with evil zombie Batman seemed to lack definition or finishing or something.
We never really die.

Roger Godpleton

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 February, 2010, 11:26:29 AM
Was that [spoiler]Darkseid doing the cloning - my DC-fu is weak[/spoiler]?.  

That is correct. [spoiler]Although technically it was Mokkari operating the whole operation. [/spoiler]
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Colin YNWA

As much fun as you can have in a 22 page comic (well I've not read this months issue of Secret Six yet) AND how cool was that preview of First Wave to boot.

Winner all round.

Dandontdare

I'm a tradewaiter, but this thread has got me interested. I'll look out for the first collection. Given DC's recent track record, that should be out in paperback around 2020 I reckon!