Main Menu

Old school paper v Digital comics

Started by The Bissler, 27 March, 2014, 12:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bissler

I'm sorry because I'm sure this subject has probably been discussed before but I couldn't find it anywhere when I tirelessly searched the first page of active topics...

I downloaded 2000AD's freebie comic for the iPad from the webstore and have to say I was very impressed.  The images were so crisp and clear and the colour was fantastic! 

One problem is that I like owning things and I have trouble with this whole new fangled culture of streaming films, downloading music and now potentially comics.  I worry that if I don't have something I can feel and touch that I will forget it is there and not use it!  Much to the amusement of my teenage nephew I still buy CDs and DVDs but I'm proud of my collections and that goes for my graphic novels which are all nicely displayed in a cabinet.

The other thing is that I do like the feel and smell of paper.  I don't know if that is weird...

How does everyone else feel about this?  Is there anyone that had gone for a completely digital library?

The Adventurer

As someone who has been 99% digital since Nov. 2012, I can positively say I do not miss bagging, boarding, and storing massive piles of paper.

Digital isn't all roses, as juggling various formats and apps can get a bit tiresome. But even print comics have various formats you have to juggle, it's less of a hassle with digital because at least its weightless.

Digital isn't going to appeal to collectors, or those who like to display their gains, but if all you care about is content, and reading. It's superior.

Currently the only physical media I still buy are Blu-rays. Because the limitations of online streaming lead to a quality downgrade. If that ever changes in the future I wouldn't be against switching. Because it's not the format, it's the content that matters.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

low down dirty drokker

hi guys.. dont post that often,but on this subject felt i needed too. same as the bissler on this one. Cant stand digital format.. this maybe due to personal history of collecting from an early age. the upside to owning paper is after sales value.( walking dead #1 for example..) thats my 2pence worth on this subject.. TTFN.

The Adventurer

I see after sale value as a perk, and since it's such a crap shoot its something I live without. Especially since I'm not buying the books to flip in the first place.

I've been working to sell off most of my print collection as I switched over to digital, and frankly its been a bit of a nightmare that's rarely worth the effort.

GrinningChimera

I used to agree with the idea that owning a digital copy of something doesn't really feel like you own it at all. But I also believe that if you collect thousands of comic books, you need to store them, catalog them and when you finally snuff it, some poor sod has to lug them to the tip. Digital has the upsides of your whole collection taking up no more room than a single graphic novel. Everything is accessible instantly. And you can take your whole collection with you anywhere you go. If there is a fire, you just buy a new iPad and re download everything. And when you do finally snuff it, someone just wipes your iPad and fills it with new crap. As much as I love books and the feeling of holding one in your hand, I do believe that digital is the future, like it or not.

As for forgetting about stuff, I nearly got a game on the weekend from a shop and then realized I downloaded that in the Steam winter sale and have only played it for about 5 minutes. Saved myself $35.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Digital is rubbish and anyone who disagrees is wrong.

MODS: Please now lock this thread.
Lock up your spoons!

Bat King

I am a paper snob. New graphic novels smell great.  The light his the page differently, I have been known to turn a comic or GN to get different light on a page.

I do not get the same enjoyment reading a digital comic.

I do see digital as useful in some ways.  Easier to access back catalogue. Particularly for grabbing that issue with that story that you suddenly need to read.  For me if I had everything digitally researching for my blog would be a ton easier.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

The Adventurer

Light striking paper differently is a new one to me. Frankly light sticking the page has always been a hindrance to me with light glaring off the page when at bad angle obstructing text and artwork.

EDIT: Or light being uneven due to the page gutters.

Back-lit screen, no more glare. And digital colors exactly as the artist intended.

WoD

Benefits (for me) for moving to Digital;
1. I simply couldn't house my comics any more...hence they are out there somewhere trying to be sold!
2. When I travel (which is too much) I can DL the new prog every week and have access to GN's if I want.
3. You can delete and reload the comics and GNs if the iPad (or whatever) gets full and reload later
4. It is SO easy to access comics (2000ad, DC, Marvel, etc.) when you want...although dangerous (i.e. expensive) if done after a few drinks
5. You can read them any where - not so easy to lug a load of progs, etc. around with you

Think you need an iPad type screen to really get the most out of it though, Mini size would be too small for me.

The Adventurer

Oh yeah, you really need a tablet. iPhone or computer screens are not ideal experiences. I had two* false starts switching to digital (in 2008 with 2000AD on PC via Clickwheel) and iPod Touch (in 2010 with various ComiXology purchases).

Without a screen of near print page size... its just not ideal.

But god damn if it ain't ideal with the right hardware.

*I almost, ALMOST started reading Crossgen Digtal waaaaaay back in 2002. But thank god I didn't do that, the technology just wasn't remotely there yet. RIP Crossgen.

EDIT: OH MY GOD REMEMBER CROSSGEN COMICS ON DEE VEE DEE!?  :lol:

Jon

Quote from: The Adventurer on 27 March, 2014, 09:27:54 AM

And digital colors exactly as the artist intended.

Ha ha, rarely...

Digital has allowed me to subscribe to the prog again as these days I just don't have the space or the inclination to clutter what little there is. I can see the benefits of either side - ultimately the work's the thing, no, regardless of platform?

One thing though, I'd have thought people who regularly enjoy a sci-fi comic would be happier about living in the future. ;)

The Adventurer

QuoteOne thing though, I'd have thought people who regularly enjoy a sci-fi comic would be happier about living in the future.

No crap, it baffles me sometimes.

Maybe because they're disappointed that we're not living in a macro analog future?!

SIP

I'm considering going digital this year. I've got an iPad so should be able to get the most out of the medium. 37 years of progs, annuals, megazines, monthlies, collections etc are starting to dominate all storage space and as I can't afford a bigger house I think this might be the solution. interesting to read everyones thoughts and experiences.

The Adventurer

Other advantages of Digital.

Never be spoiled by events on the right-hand page again!

Moggot Lover

While reading book digitally doesn't bother me to much on my Kindle. I do still buy the odd hard back because there is something special about owning a book, I get the same feeling for comics/graphics novels. I did buy Underbelly digitally and read it on my 10" tablet. It just didn't feel the same as reading paper comic. I am slowly buying all the Judge Dredd case files and other prog collections to have a decent collection of the old progs. But  guess at some point I will have to embrace the future and go digital for pretty much the reasons the guys state above, until then paper trumps digital for now. 
"We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go." --Col. Tigh. BSG.