Main Menu

Judge Minty (Judge Dredd fan film)

Started by Steven Sterlacchini, 17 February, 2009, 10:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Far be it for me to argue with John Wagner ;)...

WRT the Hall of Justice, nothing's set in stone. Although the film is poop, I didn't want to dismiss everything from it, after all it did have a few tooth artists working on concepts.

I had a look at the McMahon version from the Day the Law Died, and it's not particularly iconic, lots of spherical shapes and an eagle sign.

I'm going to have a look at Henry's and Jock's buildings and see what I can *cough* nab *cough*

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Green

The muzzle flash was added in post, and will be for the movie. All the pyro stuff will be done in post I would think for safety's sake, but that's Steve S's call.

Not entirely sure how convincing the actor can make it kick, I did think about using fishing wire or something so it's an external force.

Either that or jam a rocket down the barrel :)

Leigh S

Anothre vote for baggy here! Makes it look more real, less superhero.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "Steve ^McWild^ Green"The muzzle flash was added in post, and will be for the movie. All the pyro stuff will be done in post I would think for safety's sake, but that's Steve S's call.

Never mind safety, I think you're legally obliged to have an Armourer on the payroll if your weapons have unblocked barrels, open chambers and working firing pins (all necessary to shoot blanks, IIRC*).

Cheers

Jim

* Not that I'm an expert on shooting blanks. Obviously.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "Steve ^McWild^ Green"Far be it for me to argue with John Wagner :mrgreen: Now get back to redesigning Dredd history.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "Jim_Campbell"Never mind safety, I think you're legally obliged to have an Armourer on the payroll if your weapons have unblocked barrels, open chambers and working firing pins (all necessary to shoot blanks, IIRC*).

Haven't you been to the Werner Herzog school of film-making wherein you will learn valuable info like how to move a stranger's car out of your shot and forging permits...

Steve Green

Yeah, I was more talking about, fire etc, anything a bit iffy rather than firearms specifically.

It can be done pretty well either fully CG or using stock, it's just not worth the effort unless you've got the backup.

Cheers,

Steve

JOE SOAP

They had to have an armourer for the last docu series I worked on -about Gardai (Irish police) being shot/killed in the line of duty- and they are expensive though the machine gun fire we got was impressive.

W. R. Logan

Well, im range qualified, and once I've done my next range course in may i'll be qualified to fire weapons up to 600 metres on a range. Have my KGVI so can plan and conduct training, just a shame your not in cadets, it would be really easy then 8-)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "W. R. Logan"Well, im range qualified, and once I've done my next range course in may i'll be qualified to fire weapons up to 600 metres on a range. Have my KGVI so can plan and conduct training, just a shame your not in cadets, it would be really easy then 8-)

Next time I want someone shooting, WRL, I know who to come to!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

W. R. Logan

QuoteNext time I want someone shooting, WRL, I know who to come to!

8-)

Just need to do my DCCT course which is the Army's big Playstation with real weapons.

Ignatzmonster

Just wanted to add my support to your project. It looks amazing. That said, I'm more impressed by you choice of Judge Minty as a character. I think the Judge Minty story was the first in the collected case files where I thought, THIS is what Mega-city is about. It had the sorrow that seems to underlie the best Wagner stories.

Peter Wolf

Looks very professional .V V V good cityscape.No problems with the baggy uniform as it is appropriate in this case but i wouldnt normally go for that look as a rule.Its probably very obvious to say that he looks a bit too clean and dust free to have spent much time in an irradiated wasteland.V convincing serious/slightly sad looking actor who has a look of resignation but very wise looking.Good screen presence .One other criticism/observation is the gold chain on the uniform.Its not right at all.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Mardroid

Quote from: "Steve ^McWild^ Green"The muzzle flash was added in post, and will be for the movie. All the pyro stuff will be done in post I would think for safety's sake, but that's Steve S's call.

That makes sense.

QuoteNot entirely sure how convincing the actor can make it kick, I did think about using fishing wire or something so it's an external force.

I think that the recoil would be far less with the lawgiver than with present day weapons. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere there is some kind of recoil absorption technology in the gun so it probably wouldn't kick  that much. That being said, I understand showing recoil can be as much for dramatic effect than anything, but I don't think it matters that much as long as all the rest of the stuff is right.  Epsecially considering the fact that judges tend to fire their weapon in one hand rather than two handed (or second hand holding wrist) like police officers.

Steven Sterlacchini

Yep, definitely no firing weapons of any kind.

Getting filming permission is hard enough. Armourers, Police, Insurance, it would more than double the budget.

Even when film companies use real firing weapons they often enhance them in post anyway.

We'll probably experiment with the 'kick' to see what looks best. I was thinking different recoils and sounds for different rounds?