Main Menu

Judge Minty (Judge Dredd fan film)

Started by Steven Sterlacchini, 17 February, 2009, 10:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin Low

Fantastic.

I'm very impressed by the helmet. Normally, the nose is covered in the comic, but somehow is looks more realistic to see it uncovered (Ezquerra always draws Dredd's nose incredibly flat, which is probably the only it would work in the comic).

The shoulder pads look a practical size, too, although the one in the second picture looks like the corner comes down lower on the chest - are you using more than one?

Regards

Robin

Steve Green

I think it's just the angle, I haven't seen it in the flesh, not sure how repositionable the pads are - I did wonder if maybe the eagle should be a bit higher so it and the other pad are a bit more level...

Steven Sterlacchini

Thanks again for the great comments.

Here's a link to the costume before colour correction. We will hopefully be using some of the same techniques for the finished film.
//http://www.judgeminty.com/testimages/DSCN2251.jpg

The pads can be repositioned a bit, however the difference in the shots is due to camera angle.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Looks very, very  professional. Superb el-lopo
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Albion

That is awesome.

I say keep it Minty too. Surely the whole point is creating a story around a character that was in the comic and it's a great idea to expand his story.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Everything I've seen so far looks fantastic. Well done to all involved.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "satchmo"Keep it Minty!

Make Mine Minty!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "Steve ^McWild^ Green"Heh. A schism.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=57947

shows it before all the colour correction and stuff.

Yeah, it's the Grand Hall of Justice, I just nabbed a design from the Art of Dredd book, time-wise it's supposed to be pre-apoc war, but Minty has a Lawgiver MKII, so we're taking a bit of licence.

Cheers,

Steve

I'd say dump the Stallone version of the Grand Hall and go for your own. Get as far as possible from that pile of stomm.

Steven Sterlacchini

Quote from: "IAMTHESYSTEM"Looks very, very  professional. Superb el-lopo

Thanks, I'd love to take the credit, but Dan created the costume and Steve Green worked up the photos.

Excellent work guys.

JOE SOAP

If you ever need an Avid editor, give me a shout.

+rufus+

Quote from: "ctaylor"
Quote from: "Steve ^McWild^ Green"Dan's still tweaking the costume, the bagginess of the leathers is the main thing to fix, but we're pretty pleased with the look so far.

As you should be it looks amazing. Have to say I quite like the bagginess of the costume, given the story. Minty is a Judge past his prime who's not the man he used to be, slowing up and therefore the loose look of the costume really emphasizes a Judge past his best, as though he once filled it but no longer can.

Just a thought?

Just...fantastic... If the Film looks like this I for one, would be thrilled.. Great job Guys!!

I like the baggy suit..one of my favourite McM covers in the painted 'Tales of the Mega City (Titan books), where Dredd's wearing a suit 3 times to big... gives it a slightly utilitarian look..  
  The more fitted X men Film style skin tight suits just look naff.

JOE SOAP

The baggy uniform contains piss bags for long shifts.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: "garageman"The baggy uniform contains piss bags for long shifts.

I know mine does!

Steven Sterlacchini

Quote from: "+rufus+"Just...fantastic... If the Film looks like this I for one, would be thrilled.. Great job Guys!!

I like the baggy suit..one of my favourite McM covers in the painted 'Tales of the Mega City (Titan books), where Dredd's wearing a suit 3 times to big... gives it a slightly utilitarian look..  
The more fitted X men Film style skin tight suits just look naff.

Thanks for the support.

The bagginess looks worse in the flesh, especially at the back. We want to fit them better, not skin tight, but fitted. We also want lose the newness and add plenty of McM creases and wear. Like Minty has had them for years.

The idea that he has lost a bit of weight/muscle in his old age is intriguing.

Mardroid

Quote from: "albion83uk"I say keep it Minty too. Surely the whole point is creating a story around a character that was in the comic and it's a great idea to expand his story.

I agree for the same reasons. I also think the name is a bit silly, but I kind of like the idea of a tough-guy having it for that reason. (I guess I'm easily amused.)

Looks very good. Only one little nitpick is the join at the bottom of the magazine. I understand it's made from two pieces, and you probably can't get around that, but if it could be disguised that would be great. If not, really not a big deal.

I'm probably going to seem dumb now, but I don't know much about these things. Was the fireburst from the gun a post production thing? Or can the gun actually fire blanks? I'd assume the former but, as I said, I don't know much about these things. I know that a lot of sci-fi guns are actually built around the real thing.

It's a decent chunky looking weapon though, just the right size I'd imagine. Looks a lot like the (also decent) Termight version, although it looks bigger to me.

As for the uniform, I'll admit I'm one of those who felt the Judge uniform should be altered for 'real world practicality' in the Judge Dredd film. (Although in my defence, I always saw the alteration to be an interpretation still based on the old design.)  That picture has proven how good the original can look on screen though. Apart from the looseness (which I actually don't think is a bad idea. The close fitting version int eh comics tends to look rather Lycra super-hero like to me.)it's pretty much spot on.