Main Menu

Scottish women in comics

Started by sheridan, 01 September, 2017, 01:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Pyroxian

Quote from: sheridan on 01 September, 2017, 01:18:03 PM
(short mention of 2000AD at the end)

By this boards' very own Queen Firey-Bou no less :)

Bolt-01

Frank

QuoteQuirion became interested by how publishers in the UK target readers with gender-specific titles. "I find it fascinating because France and UK are geographically very close, and yet their comic cultures are based on very different ideas. I feel like this separation girls/boys is mostly a marketing strategy. They are still using it in Japan and it works great there but everyone reads comics in France, whatever their gender or age is, so the best strategy is more to appeal to everyone.

It's no longer the case, but The Broons and Oor Wullie were universally read in Scotland - by girls, boys, grannies, bank managers, and revolutionary communists - in a way I'm not sure the rest of the British isles ever understood.

They were as central to Scottish national identity as Irn Bru and violent oppression of the minority Catholic population. You can plot a direct correlation between the balkanisation of Scottish political culture and the diminishing number of eyeballs taking in the fun section of the Sunday Post each week.

And Daphne Broon had an arse (and face) that would warm the heart of Vicky Stonebridge.*

* How great does she sound? I spoke to her a couple of times on social media without realising she was into 2000ad, or that she was behind Hi-Ex.

TordelBack

Quote from: Frank on 01 September, 2017, 03:19:18 PM
I spoke to her a couple of times on social media without realising she was into 2000ad, or that she was behind Hi-Ex.

That's some serious ex post facto stalking justification there, Frankie!

Frank

I'm too busy trawling through Cosh's snowboarding photies to fit in any more victims.

These enterprising ladies should follow the business model established by The Broons/Oor Wullie, and serialise their work in a right wing paper so Presbyterian that colour photographs were forbidden until the last decade - then collect their work in annuals that every child has to get for Christmas*, by law.

* I could never figure out whether alternating between a Broons annual one year and an Oor Wullie book the next was an act of consideration towards cash strapped parents or just a practice established during wartime paper rationing and therefore fixed in place forever by an organisation that looked on change in the same way others regard corporate manslaughter.

Fungus

Saw this thread and thought 'Maw Broon'. Says it all   :-\