Main Menu

2000ad All female creative teams in 2018 Summer Special

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 February, 2018, 06:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven Denton

This is an excellent idea and I'm looking forward to seeing how the special turns out.

The thing about creator diversity over character diversity is you can have as many straight white men writing and drawing comics about an ethnically diverse set of men and women but all the writers and artists are still working from the point of view of straight white men. I don't want to see women JUST creating comics with female leads, or people of colour JUST creating comics with POC as leads, I want to see what people from different backgrounds can do with our aging stable or white male heroes.

The British invasion of American superhero comics kick-started a new age of creativity, in no small part because the creators came from the outside looking in.

IndigoPrime

It'll also be interesting to see how/if default gazes affect what you see on the page, whether that's dictated by scripts, or done instinctively by artists. Dredd is an ongoing slice of weirdness for me in one respect: a great many stories feature no female judges. Men outnumber women in modern police forces, sure, but Judge Dredd's world is frequently exclusively populated by male judges, bar when Hershey or Anderson rock up. (Background figures are usually biased towards men as well.)

I'm not sure exactly why this happens, but it does. Perhaps more balance in terms of creators would shift such things. And that's only one smallish example in a single strip. (I find Star Trek similarly baffling, not least regarding the reboot.)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this special (and the horror one). At the very least, we'll get some alternate takes on much-loved characters. With luck, some of these creators will nail the voice and get themselves into the Prog and/or Meg on a regular basis.

ZenArcade

We produce a local Belfast Fanzine and we have one female artist who has worked on the second issue and is contributing to the third as well (thankfully).  PJ makes a good point, there is a dearth of female contributers: believe me if there were more we would snap them up.  Different perspectives and interpretations of material is the lifeblood of comics and I welcome any opportunity to see more works from a female point of view.  Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrimeDredd is an ongoing slice of weirdness for me in one respect: a great many stories feature no female judges. Men outnumber women in modern police forces, sure, but Judge Dredd's world is frequently exclusively populated by male judges, bar when Hershey or Anderson rock up.

Mike Carroll scripts are a notable exception here (I think Dredd was the only male on the current mission, and the Sov opposite number was female too), perhaps following Wagner's lead. Both seem more even on the named female judges, but then I've no idea whether either leaves the gender breakdown of the nameless background judges entirely up to the artist.

Albion

Hopefully they have enough creators lined up for this or some current creators may have to use pseudonyms like in the old days.
I'll certainly be suspicious if I see stuff by Jean Wagner and Patricia Mills. 😉
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

marko10174

Quote from: Professor Bear on 07 February, 2018, 07:20:07 PM
Another victory in the hard left vegan Leninist cucktard sharia law SJW cultural Marxist purge of the straight white male from all creative media.  Next they'll be hunting us like dogs and we won't be safe in our own homes.

This! it's becoming the norm to bash white straight males, especially in the world of show biz, it's a bit unnerving. Watching James Cordon hosting the grammys was beyond cringy "tonight we have the most diverse lineup, and me... the least diverse host in the history of the grammys", and that's just the tip of the ice berg. I have absolutely no problem with diversity, I couldn't give a shit who writes the prog, but obsessing about diversity instead of focusing on what we have in common is starting to piss me off a bit.

I like this group, I love 2000ad, and it's nice to have that in common with everyone. I have absolutely no problem with anyone in this group, but it does at appear at times that if you're not singing from the far left hymn book, you will get pounced on.

GordonR

Quote from: marko10174 on 09 February, 2018, 05:58:21 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 07 February, 2018, 07:20:07 PM
Another victory in the hard left vegan Leninist cucktard sharia law SJW cultural Marxist purge of the straight white male from all creative media.  Next they'll be hunting us like dogs and we won't be safe in our own homes.

This! it's becoming the norm to bash white straight males, especially in the world of show biz, it's a bit unnerving. Watching James Cordon hosting the grammys was beyond cringy "tonight we have the most diverse lineup, and me... the least diverse host in the history of the grammys", and that's just the tip of the ice berg. I have absolutely no problem with diversity, I couldn't give a shit who writes the prog, but obsessing about diversity instead of focusing on what we have in common is starting to piss me off a bit.

I like this group, I love 2000ad, and it's nice to have that in common with everyone. I have absolutely no problem with anyone in this group, but it does at appear at times that if you're not singing from the far left hymn book, you will get pounced on.

Sssshh.  Don't anyone tell him.  It's much funnier that way.

JayzusB.Christ

Well, absolutely. We straight white males are indeed the last true minority group and I for one am sick of being oppressed by those black lesbians who have been running the world for so long.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

marko10174

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 09 February, 2018, 06:18:51 PM
Well, absolutely. We straight white males are indeed the last true minority group and I for one am sick of being oppressed by those black lesbians who have been running the world for so long.

Does someone have to be in a minority group to be oppressed? it's like we're playing the oppression olympics here. Equality should be about treating everyone equally, not "you're in a majority group, so shut up and take it". Why does one group have to be demonised so another can have equality? after all, that is the mentality of the sjw. Your comment suggests that if you're a white straight male you have no right to feel like you're being oppressed, which I am sorry is absolutely ludicrous. 

Modern Panther

If you're basing your self-worth on something James Corden says, you're too far gone already.

Tjm86

Quote from: ZenArcade on 09 February, 2018, 11:56:31 AM
PJ makes a good point, there is a dearth of female contributers: believe me if there were more we would snap them up. 

Now this is something that does puzzle me when I consider the demographics of youngsters in school that have an interest in comics.  There is a growing number of girls as opposed to boys.  Now granted they have a significant interest in certain aspects of Manga but at the same time they are seriously into the literature and artistry.  Some of them are downright talented but not developing the narrative structure that would make it work.  They tend to be more into individual images and need to develop their storytelling skills.  The other question is, why are they not pursuing careers?

TordelBack

... I for one am sick of being oppressed by those black lesbians...

If you're done,  can I at least make use of the balance of your membership?   ;)

pauljholden

Quote from: marko10174 on 09 February, 2018, 06:59:34 PM

Does someone have to be in a minority group to be oppressed? it's like we're playing the oppression olympics here. Equality should be about treating everyone equally, not "you're in a majority group, so shut up and take it". Why does one group have to be demonised so another can have equality? after all, that is the mentality of the sjw. Your comment suggests that if you're a white straight male you have no right to feel like you're being oppressed, which I am sorry is absolutely ludicrous.

I admit, it's been a while since I've been outside, but can someone fill me in on how, I, a straight middle aged white man is currently being oppressed?

jacob g

Since the news about this special broke out I'm kind of heartbroken because of the negative voices in few 2000ad related places. I dunno, maybe it was mistake to think that this fandom is bubble free from MRA bullshit of other comic related groups.

On the other hand, I hope this special will be spectacular showcase of talented artists.
margaritas ante porcos

Richard

QuoteJoesphine Dredd

It's been done already: Michael Carroll's Cadet Paris is a clone of Dredd but with no Y chromosome.