Main Menu

Meg 339. TV Smash!

Started by Proudhuff, 19 August, 2013, 03:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 August, 2013, 09:19:28 PM
Quote from: hippynumber1 on 19 August, 2013, 09:12:37 PMStill haven't read Black Siddah in the floppy...

Oh dear.  Looks like I'm back on the fence.

Forget the floppy and get off the fence!  If it'll help, I'll send you your pick of whatever recent floppy takes your fancy.

TordelBack

You're a star in Tharg's firmament as always, Ming, but there's no need.  I am going to grab one tomorrow, and if it takes my fancy once again I'll probably go digital with it after that.  I've missed the Meg badly, and it regularly taunts me from the shelves in its inviolable chastity bag, but the paper version is just too darn expensive month on month. 

When I'm rich and famous, I shall enjoy collecting the 50 Megs I've missed, along with the dozen progs from late 2011 ( a really bad time to take a leave of absence:  Low Life, Indigo Prime, Sin-Dex, Angel Zero and Day of Chaos!).

Proudhuff

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 August, 2013, 09:50:09 PM
  So maybe it will work better in a collection.

it does, surprisingly well, i really disliked it when it ran before, but collected it makes so much more sense and the charactors work well too.
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 August, 2013, 08:14:33 PM
Is it my imagination or does PJ's work get better with every page?  That's some of the best MC-1 crowd-scene art in a good long time - love the Fatty's begging sign.

If I'm not mistaken, that looks like MC1's premier fatty, TwoTon Tony Tubbs himself!

I don't often comment on the Meg, but this month's was a cracker. Excellent opener to the Dredd - When will chief judges start taking Dredd's advice? I'm guessing Hershey v2.0 will either escape or be let loose after "retraining" and go bad. Nice to see Babs back in action though.

Enjoyed the Future Shock (is this the first time we've had a FS ion the Meg?) and the Black Museum story. The Dan Francisco story wrapped up a little too neatly with [spoiler]the arrival of the kid's brother who just happens to be a bad-ass gangster[/spoiler], but it's been an enjoyable story, hope we'll see more. Finally, Insurrection maintains a steady level of arsomness. Not read the interviews yet, but the Dredd text story was a good 'un

Mabs

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 19 August, 2013, 09:12:37 PM

Still haven't read Black Siddah in the floppy but it looks lovely and 'Beyond Zero' next month makes this hippy a very happy boy!

Does 'Beyond Zero' tie in with Night Zero? If it does then count me a happy man too!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Link Prime

Quote from: Mabs on 20 August, 2013, 01:10:54 PM

Does 'Beyond Zero' tie in with Night Zero? If it does then count me a happy man too!

It's the same series Mabs.
And concludes with 'Below Zero' (my favorite of the bunch).

Mabs

Quote from: Link Prime on 20 August, 2013, 01:13:24 PM

It's the same series Mabs.
And concludes with 'Below Zero' (my favorite of the bunch).

Ah cheers for that Link. I really enjoyed the first story, and someone did mention on here that there were other stories, but I'd forgotten. Really looking forward to re-visiting this particular world.  :)
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Link Prime

I dug 'em too Mabs, just some examples of the countless forgotten gems in 2000AD's history.

Recrewt

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 August, 2013, 11:09:59 AM
You're a star in Tharg's firmament as always, Ming, but there's no need.  I am going to grab one tomorrow, and if it takes my fancy once again I'll probably go digital with it after that.  I've missed the Meg badly, and it regularly taunts me from the shelves in its inviolable chastity bag, but the paper version is just too darn expensive month on month. 

When I'm rich and famous, I shall enjoy collecting the 50 Megs I've missed, along with the dozen progs from late 2011 ( a really bad time to take a leave of absence:  Low Life, Indigo Prime, Sin-Dex, Angel Zero and Day of Chaos!).

The Meg has been steadily improving through the year and is really good at the moment.  Recent Dredd's have equalled if not surpassed the Prog ones and Dan Francisco and Insurrection are both stonking stories. 

Regarding digital - I have experimented with both Prog and Meg and although it provides a good cost saving, the Meg was the one I liked least.  I don't enjoy reading a lot of text (outside of comic panels) on an ipad and the Meg tends to have more.  Also the floppy gets tagged on the end which makes it 100+ pages in total so it can be a bit of a chore swiping through. 

Yeah, I was actually a little sad after reading last month's floppy to see that Beyond Zero was not next as I was hoping they would go through all 3.  Glad to hear it will be coming up soon.     

hippynumber1

I know for a fact that Kev Hopgood would like to do some more work for Tharg; the campaign starts here! (Told you I'd do it Kev) ;o)

Link Prime

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 20 August, 2013, 01:30:55 PM
I know for a fact that Kev Hopgood would like to do some more work for Tharg; the campaign starts here!

Sign my name up, would love to see a new Hopgood Dredd.

I've also very fond memories of his Zoids stuff from back in the day.
Say...he isn't selling any original art from that, is he Mark?  ;)

hippynumber1

He sold all his original pages years ago...  :(

Link Prime

TordelBack

Quote from: Recrewt on 20 August, 2013, 01:28:33 PM
Regarding digital - I have experimented with both Prog and Meg and although it provides a good cost saving, the Meg was the one I liked least.  I don't enjoy reading a lot of text (outside of comic panels) on an ipad and the Meg tends to have more. 

Excellent point there Recrewt.  I'd be reading it my antediluvian craptop, and I struggle to read quite enough PDF text there as it is - comic strip I have no problem with, although I much, much prefer the experience and convenience of reading paper versions.  I'll see how it goes.

Another vote for the Tanner stories here.  Solid characterful stuff from scribe and artist.  John Brosnan left us way too soon.

James Stacey

Excellent meg this month. Really enjoyed the TftBM even. Ever since the departure of Sexy Ostriches the Meg has been on the up and up.