Main Menu

Meg 348 - DIE HARD!

Started by Buttonman, 17 May, 2014, 12:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Nice Glenn Fabry cover with Dredd the breakfast of one of the cast of 'Where the Wild Things Are'.

Floppy is Book 2 of Janus with added Karyn if the excitement wasn't enough. More Karyn next issue!

Features include a Mark Buckingham interview and a preview of the Summer Special.

Will gorge on the strip shortly but NO Dreddlines again! Why do Tom and I bother?!

So it's not lost to the ages here is my unworthy effort concerning Meg 347.

Dear Dreddlines,

Thanks for Meg 347 which was a great medley of all that you do well. All the strips from the Dreddverse (as it should be) and each had something different to offer.

My favourite had to be Anderson which has quietly become the stand out and most intriguing strip you have on show. Mike Dowling is the heir apparent to the master who is Arthur Ranson and Alan Grant hasn't written a script with this sense of unease and foreboding for some time. Basically it's a return to Anderson's glory days - who saw that coming?!

The Dredd strip followed a similar path to Cass' with an unknown yet familiar villain doing the dirty while our hero stands by, unable to act. No doubt Anderson's resolution will be more thoughtful and subtle but I'll let you know whose I prefer!

DeMarco offered a second heroine of the issue and, again,  gave as good as she got. The female heroes have always been given a fair crack of the whip at the Megazine and it's a credit to you that they aren't seen as tokenism but equal players to the more macho elements.

All the best

Proudhuff

oh you're still here? Thought you'd be on the 'Best Missiff' thread.

A cracker of a Meg (no Buttman see) the cover is a bit dark but the contents are wonderful.

The Cook Droid does some sterling work on Dredd including a page layout in the shape of a Justice badge!!
Ther Balck Museum harks back to Necropolis but is none the worse for that

The Man for Delmote the Ministry has some loverly touches: Prof Q, Bray Studios and the use of enormous trollop, looking forward to more of this.

Text story well done, try it!
Anderson my Joe burning up, that Dredd fairly takes a pounding this Meg

Top notch Megazine, didn't think post -Ordinary it would be, but the quality is right up there. 
DDT did a job on me

James Stacey

Is the floppy cover a different paper stock this month? My collection is in storage so I can't compare and contrast but it feels less like the oils in my hand are eating through the the cover or it's melting in my grasp.

hippynumber1

Just had a feel for you James and it's exactly the same as far as I can tell!  ;)

Proudhuff

Quote from: Proudhuff on 17 May, 2014, 03:48:04 PM
The Cook Droid does some sterling work on Dredd including a page layout in the shape of a Justice badge!!

Re-reading this reveals that the badge shape is in fact the Manta justice badge and the panels that make up the badge happen inside the Manta! Nice bit of layout Mr Cook!
DDT did a job on me

IronGraham

The Megazine has been really strong for a good long while long may it stand.
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Eamonn Clarke

Shouldn't 348 be on the ipad app by now? Is it just me or is anyone else's late?

Spaceghost

A very mixed Meg for me this month.

The cover is lovely. Bold, striking image from Mr. Fabry. Can our hero survive? Hard H taking Dredd's badge is a nice touch.

I enjoyed the first episode last month, but this month's Dredd has taken a turn for the very bad I'm afraid. It just all round 'feels wrong' but a few of the huge problems for me include; very clunky dialogue; (may not be exactly accurate but it's near enough) Hershey: "Whoever has taken Dredd isn't planning a surprise party". Yes. Well done Hershey. Really witty one-liner there......

Next; Justice department going into virtual melt-down because Dredd's been missing for FIVE HOURS. Hershey, seemingly almost IN TEARS at her desk due to lack of news about Joe 'the face of justice' Dredd. Yes, Dredd's been central to a lot of MC1 history, but he's not 'special' in that way. It's always been emphasised that he's just another Judge.

Then we have the inexplicable scenes of THE CITIZENS BEING SO UPSET? GLAD? ABOUT MISSING DREDD THAT THEY'RE RIOTING FIVE TIMES IN ONE DAY? The same day Dredd has gone missing? Firstly, why? What are they rioting about? The fact that Dredd's gone? The fact he might come back (according to some of the placards)? If so, why are they protesting?

Why have the citizens even been informed of Dredd's disappearance? Justice Department aren't usually in the habit of divulging this sort of information mere hours after the event. Have the populace just somehow noticed that he's not in the city and gone mental for unspecified reasons? What happens when Dredd is on a case which takes him out of the city in the normal line of his duties? Were there daily, multiple riots while he was on Titan while the citizens demanded to know where Joe 'the face of justice' Dredd had gone?

Next, (I want to stop, but there are sooooo many problems here) the main bad guy (can't remember a name) offering leadership of his big, proposed criminal empire to The Kingpin (it's The Kingpin, right?), then, when he refuses, killing him with mutant crocodiles whilst revealing that he (The Kingpin) represents the past and needs sweeping away. What would he have done if The Kingpin had said yes? Just let him take over the empire?

Meanwhile, Hershey has diverted six Manta prowl tanks full of Judges away from her understaffed, drowning-in-crime city to desperately try to locate on Judge; Joe 'the face of justice' Dredd, whose presence in Mega City One is SO IMPORTANT that if he is gone for FIVE HOURS, the city begins to self destruct.

As I was reading this 'unique' take on a Judge Dredd story, I was put in mind of those old, 70's annual stories written by writers who had only the barest of notions about the character of Dredd, Mega City One and what makes a good Dredd tale.

God, I'm sorry to be so harsh but my nose is sore from all the face-palming I did whilst reading this.

HELP! Find me something to like in this story! Erm...the art's lovely.

Liked the art on the Tales of the Black Museum story and the idea of a serial killer trying to kill Judge Death was an interesting one. It didn't ring true that such an unhinged psychopath would have such a nice, normal, loving family, then murder them without a second thought. A minor quibble.

The Man from the Ministry starts well. Lots of the British SF Easter Egss we've come to expect from Mr. Rennie. Interested to see where it will go.

Anderson continues to be the best thing in The Meg (wouldn't have expected to be saying that before this story began). Gorgeous art and real drama in the story. Last episode next month (boo).

Only skimmed the articles. Not sure who the artist is and don't want any Summer Special spoilers.

Anderson is the shining light in a Meg which runs the worst Dredd story I've read in the last fifteen years.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Apestrife

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 21 May, 2014, 07:47:16 AM
Shouldn't 348 be on the ipad app by now? Is it just me or is anyone else's late?

I'v sadly also encountered this. Looked like a near perfect thrill power Wednesday with Wonder Woman 31, New 52: Future's end #3, 2000AD and the MEG. But sadly there was no MEG... And I want my monthly dose of Anderson now  :'(

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Spaceghost on 21 May, 2014, 08:55:07 AM
As I was reading this 'unique' take on a Judge Dredd story, I was put in mind of those old, 70's annual stories written by writers who had only the barest of notions about the character of Dredd, Mega City One and what makes a good Dredd tale.

:lol: I haven't read the Meg but I derived more enjoyment from your review of Dredd than the strip could possibly give!
@jamesfeistdraws

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Apestrife on 21 May, 2014, 06:10:00 PM

I'v sadly also encountered this. Looked like a near perfect thrill power Wednesday with Wonder Woman 31, New 52: Future's end #3, 2000AD and the MEG. But sadly there was no MEG... And I want my monthly dose of Anderson now  :'(
R
It's arrived now

Apestrife

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 21 May, 2014, 08:06:39 PM
Quote from: Apestrife on 21 May, 2014, 06:10:00 PM

R
It's arrived now

Yeah, just d/led it. Thanks :) !

Spaceghost

Quote from: Spaceghost on 21 May, 2014, 08:55:07 AM
Meanwhile, Hershey has diverted six Manta prowl tanks full of Judges away from her understaffed, drowning-in-crime city to desperately try to locate on Judge; Joe 'the face of justice' Dredd, whose presence in Mega City One is SO IMPORTANT that if he is gone for FIVE HOURS, the city begins to self destruct.

A quick correction in the interests of fair reporting. Hershey doesn't send six Manta prowl tanks full of Judges to look for Dredd. She sends seven vehicles of various types full of Judges.

I was perhaps being overly harsh when I said it was the worst Dredd story in the last fifteen years. I'm sure there must have been worse.

This is a bit of a stinker though.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Apestrife

This wasn't the best Megazine I'v read. Most exciting Dredd story felt like the announcement of Judge Dredd: Dead zone by Wagner and Flint. Rad to the bone didn't really do it for me.

And sadly Anderson looks like it'll end next month. While the story hasn't hold up quite as much as I'v hoped, I still like it. Especially the art. Can't wait to see how it ends next month!

judgerufian

Dont normally review the Meg as well as the prog (just in case people are bored by my weekly dose of review in the Prog thread!) but have to chip in and also unfortunately add to the deriders on the current Dredd story in the Meg. Coming so soon after 'Titan' where Dredd was knocking at deaths door but still managed to take down 20-odd ex-judges, the sight of Dredd being able to dispense some perps while having half of his helmet caved in (by one punch at the end of the 1st instalment which was really silly) just falls into stupid superhero territory. Surprise guest star The Kingpin....ho ho.
The art is pretty good but the colour and brightness doesnt suit a tale that is attempting to be a bit down and dirty.

I enjoyed the Tales of the Black Museum but it had potential to be a much better story if there hadnt been so much to try to cram in, an extra page at the end rather than at the beginning would have been better as the character serial killer became a lot more interesting after being changed by Judge Death (but what do I know?). 

Anderson way outsmarts and outstrips anything else in the prog at the moment though the constant niggle I have is that this massive threat to the whole PSI Division is essentially a no-one that had come out of nowhere, there is no build up to how much of a baddie this guy is which is a bit of a pity but the story does hold water everywhere else and the art is excellent.

Man from the Ministry was a real surprise, it shouted to me as another greysuit from the ads so I was very pleased to see it was more tongue in cheek than expected, a touch of humour which is very much appreciated given the downer tone of the rest of the Meg.