Main Menu

Doctor Who - Series 10 (Spoilers)

Started by Taryn Tailz, 16 April, 2017, 01:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 03 July, 2017, 10:57:40 PM
Monk as in the race of creatures who took centre stage in the middle trilogy of this series.

I've watched one episode only of Capaldi's Doctor. 'The Doctor Falls' would be that episode.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 03 July, 2017, 11:15:26 PM
Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 03 July, 2017, 10:57:40 PM
Monk as in the race of creatures who took centre stage in the middle trilogy of this series.

I've watched one episode only of Capaldi's Doctor. 'The Doctor Falls' would be that episode.

Fair enough. If you prefer thinking it was down to the influence of the Meddling Monk though, feel free to do so. ;)

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 July, 2017, 11:17:56 PM
I think we've discovered ABCWarBigot's true identity.

See this is the problem with you people who are so quick to call people bigots and homophobes.  You tar everyone with the same brush.   I've never said I dpn't like gay people, that I don't believe in gay marriage or I don't think gay people should be in films and tv.  I've also never said I don't think there should be a gay character or two in Dr Who.   All I've said is that I don't want to see the Doctor involved and I think this Timelord gender change stuff is a load of bollocks plus this season has had probably more LGBT bits in it than even in the days of Russell T. Davies and it feels forced.  It feels to me like there's an even more obvious agenda than before.   And before any of you bring up that tired old "did the show used to have a straight agenda then".   No it didn't.  There was no straight agenda.

The shows only agenda used to be about telling stories.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 02 July, 2017, 10:08:18 PM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 02 July, 2017, 09:51:55 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 July, 2017, 09:31:04 PM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 02 July, 2017, 09:11:26 PM
As well as being even more of a blatant LGBT advert than last weeks

Or, possibly, this stuff is just normal and TV entertainment should reflect that, and the real problem only exists in your nasty, bigoted little mind?

Being LGBT is normal yes.   Using a tv show like Dr Who as a blatant advert for the LGBT lobby isn't.  And that was blatant.

You must be pleased they've moved on from when they were shoving Clara's Hetrosexuality down our throats through her relationship with Danny Pink, particularly as that came hot on the heels of Amy and Rory's rampant Hetrosexuality...not to mention the fact that all three characters shoved their cis-gender identities in our faces every second they were on screen.

Utter filth.

Why...when I was young we were mere amoeba, without the need for any of this modern nonsense.

There's been too much straight relationship crap in Nu Who also.   That stuff was hardly ever in the classic series and it was all the fuckin better for it too.   

Hawkmumbler

The sea was warmer when I was a lad...

Modern Panther

QuoteSee this is the problem with you people

"You people"?

You're right, people complaining about bigotry are the real bigots for not accepting other,more bigoted, points of view. 

It's clear that in your frequent complaints about the "gay agenda" and the show being an "LGBT advert" what you were actually unhappy about is the focus on any relationship and mention of any gender.  That's normal.

Richard

QuoteI've also never said I don't think there should be a gay character or two in Dr Who.

I don't think that's true...

Richard

Quoteall this LGBT stuff is being put in the show as they know loads of kids watch it.   So it is a form of brainwashing.   Again no problem with a character here and there but it's fairly obvious the show is being used by some people at the BBC for their own political reasons.

Richard

Tjm86

Quote from: Richard on 04 July, 2017, 09:29:55 AM
Quote.... the show is being used by some people at the BBC for their own political reasons.

Political bias in the BBC?  Shocking revelation.

Hawkmumbler

Sexual. 👏🏻 Equality. 👏🏻 Isn't. 👏🏻 Political.👏🏻

Will Cooling

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 04 July, 2017, 12:15:55 PM
Sexual. 👏🏻 Equality. 👏🏻 Isn't. 👏🏻 Political.👏🏻

Yes it is.

I think its great that programs like Doctor Who teach young people to be more understanding/accepting of LGBT people and other minorities. But lets not pretend that LGBT Equality isn't a political debate between two sides. Just because you're right, doesn't mean you're not arguing.

I would say one thing that is overlooked is how sensitive the handling of Missy has been. I really noticed how the Doctor never misgenders her i.e. by calling her The Master or a He. It's really well done.

Formerly WIll@The Nexus

Hawkmumbler

Honestly, as a flaming Bi AF dude it really isn't a political matter, its no more so than heterosexual relations. What it is is something that transendes politics and media and culture as just pure love between folk. Politics as far as the movement is concerned is more constructed notions like marriage, addoption and the right NOT to be fucking harrased in the street daily. THAT is political.

So yes, back to it. Bill was great theoughout, more gay characters please.

JamesC

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 04 July, 2017, 03:15:06 PM
Honestly, as a flaming Bi AF dude it really isn't a political matter, its no more so than heterosexual relations. What it is is something that transendes politics and media and culture as just pure love between folk. Politics as far as the movement is concerned is more constructed notions like marriage, addoption and the right NOT to be fucking harrased in the street daily. THAT is political.

So yes, back to it. Bill was great theoughout, more gay characters please.

I wouldn't like to see a situation where characters are created on a 'quota' basis. Calling for more 'gay characters' seems like a mistake to me. Let's just call for more great characters, great writers and great show runners and hope that whatever they come up with finds an appreciative audience.
We should have faith that the programme makers will explore diversity in their characters as a facility of the drama, not just to appease some perceived need for a certain number of boxes ticked according to X,Y or Z 'minority'.

Something I find quite interesting is that 30 years ago there may well have been claims that a black or mixed race companion was somehow pushing a certain agenda. Thankfully we seem to be over that.