Main Menu

First episode of Dredd TV series

Started by Tarantino, 23 July, 2017, 09:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JLC on 31 July, 2017, 07:49:19 AM
PS - please try to stay on topic instead of attempting to make sarcastic comments based on your issues with my response in another thread. I won't engage with you further on this matter. Good luck in all your future endeavours.

Gee. I dunno. I think if you're going to explicitly call someone a liar, the very least you should be prepared to do is justify a pretty defamatory statement, but I'm old-fashioned that way.

If you're not prepared to do that, I think you should head back over to the other thread and withdraw your accusation immediately but, again, I'm old-fashioned.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Pete Wells

I'd like to see "The Pit" style opening. I think we kinda know that Dredd is going to be a background character so let's introduce the supporting cast and the scope of the world/series. This way we could have a few different cases being followed, the nature of which would be vital - maybe one a bit whacky (say protecting a competitive eater/freak), one more tense/grisly/hard hitting (serial killer type) and maybe one techy/futuristic. Maybe two out of the three wrapped up smartly in the opening episode with a third ongoing, or linked to something bigger.

There's so much potential, I'm really excited! I'd like to see some big character deaths at unexpected times to give that 'no one is safe' vibe and some SJS tension to add further drama.

JLC

Quote from: Pete Wells on 31 July, 2017, 09:30:31 AM
I'd like to see "The Pit" style opening. I think we kinda know that Dredd is going to be a background character so let's introduce the supporting cast and the scope of the world/series. This way we could have a few different cases being followed, the nature of which would be vital - maybe one a bit whacky (say protecting a competitive eater/freak), one more tense/grisly/hard hitting (serial killer type) and maybe one techy/futuristic. Maybe two out of the three wrapped up smartly in the opening episode with a third ongoing, or linked to something bigger.

There's so much potential, I'm really excited! I'd like to see some big character deaths at unexpected times to give that 'no one is safe' vibe and some SJS tension to add further drama.
Sounds good. Most shows nowadays have an arc as well as plots wrapped up in single episodes. I think that would work in MC1 show. Also maybe take a leaf out of The Walking Dead's book, in so far as mix things up a bit in terms of characters & what happens to them. In that show they keep certain key events but transpose them to different characters.

The Legendary Shark

Maybe start with a mystery story about (holding) posts disappearing...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Richard

The Legendary Shark

I really have only one wish - please, just let it be good.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

I think the young PJ Maybe would be a good place to start. One of the classic villains, but has the advantage of not requiring a massive FX budget to do properly.

Tiplodocus

Are you  going to buy up all copies of the second episode?

No Dark Judges please.

But episode 1 needs to finish with a "Duck Me!" moment.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

dweezil2

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 14 August, 2017, 12:11:32 AM

No Dark Judges please.

I'd argue that, done well, a dark judges storyline could be exceptionally compelling-kind of Hellraiser in Mega-City One.
But best held of until season two or even season three.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JLC

Quote from: dweezil2 on 14 August, 2017, 10:08:35 AM

No Dark Judges please.

I'd argue that, done well, a dark judges storyline could be exceptionally compelling-kind of Hellraiser in Mega-City One.
I would rather they never turned up! They're OK in the comic but there are so many more exciting characters & stories to tell on the telly show. Adding the supernatural? Well, maybe after PSI-Division has been established but even having a large PSI presence throws up its own problems.

dweezil2

Quote from: JLC on 14 August, 2017, 02:24:53 PM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 14 August, 2017, 10:08:35 AM

No Dark Judges please.

I would rather they never turned up! They're OK in the comic but there are so many more exciting characters & stories to tell on the telly show. Adding the supernatural? Well, maybe after PSI-Division has been established but even having a large PSI presence throws up its own problems.

Like them or not, they're a major part of the Dredd mythos and one of the most recognisable aspects of it, even to casual fans, so don't be surprised they figure somewhere.
The PSI angle worked well in the 2012 movie so no reason why it couldn't in the series.
The supernatural and more esoteric elements of Judge Dredd are what set it apart from a mere sci-fi cop strip.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Richard

Game of Thrones didn't start with the Dragons and the Night King in episode 1. It built up to them, established believable and interesting human characters, and became a successful show.

sheridan

Quote from: JLC on 14 August, 2017, 02:24:53 PM

What problems do they raise?

sheridan

Quote from: Richard on 14 August, 2017, 08:25:54 PM
Game of Thrones didn't start with the Dragons and the Night King in episode 1. It built up to them, established believable and interesting human characters, and became a successful show.

Well, apart from the zomWhite Walkers in the very first scene :P

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: Pete Wells on 31 July, 2017, 09:30:31 AM

Good ideas here - especially killing off a big character early on (Judge Giants unexpected death during the Block Mania Saga with no warning, no build up, no portents -got me hooked on 2000ad forever) . Anything can happen, anyone can die.

As the actual intro -as MC 1 is ,as already attested,  the central character that should be introduced first, and by NEW eyes. So a new arrival who marvels at the sight, sounds and smells of MC 1 -then BANG hits the harsh reality of the judge system. I would go for that.

Either way this is in very good hands -looking forward very much to what they come up with.