Main Menu

Comics you are excited about in 2016

Started by Colin YNWA, 10 August, 2015, 07:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Not Image but delighted to hear that Jeff Lemires and Dean Ormston's Black Hammer is finally coming out in July.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/eccc-exclusive-lemire-drops-his-ormstons-black-hammer-this-summer

Not only cos its a comic I'm really looking forward to but also it means that Dean Ormston is on the mend.

Colin YNWA

Okay so finally got to the Image stuff and while there's quite a lot of kinda interesting things the only one's that really jump out at me immediately (aside from the previous mentioned (and the one in the new 2017 thread!) are Rockstars - don't know too much about either creator but love the idea and Lake of Fire again based on the story idea more than anything.

A lot of the rest seem like kinda 'genric' Image concepts which don't make them stand out though there are a number I'll happily read more about before making a final decision.

Colin YNWA

Looks like my call about Lake of Fire was a good one, at least art wise.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/09/more-image-expo-previews-for-lake-of-fire-moonshine-and-black-monday-murders/

Also has a preview of Moonshine and The Black Monday Murders.

Link Prime

The 4 issue Tales from the Darkside by the powerhouse team behind Locke & Key, Joe Hill & Gabriel Rodriguez.

http://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/STL008023

Hawkmumbler

The second volume of the Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle Batman stuff. Well, no official word on it yet but you would have thought they where going to reprint them, wouldn't you?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 11 April, 2016, 04:39:11 PM
The second volume of the Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle Batman stuff. Well, no official word on it yet but you would have thought they where going to reprint them, wouldn't you?

Can't wait to pick up that first volume at some point soon. More or less since I got back into comics 15 years ago I've wanted to read Batman, but apart from selected stand-alone graphic novels (the usual suspects, I'm sure you can guess) I was only ever really interested in the Wagner/Grant/Breyfogle run. Mental that it's only just been republished!
@jamesfeistdraws

Darren Stephens

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 11 April, 2016, 04:47:54 PM

Can't wait to pick up that first volume at some point soon. More or less since I got back into comics 15 years ago I've wanted to read Batman, but apart from selected stand-alone graphic novels (the usual suspects, I'm sure you can guess) I was only ever really interested in the Wagner/Grant/Breyfogle run. Mental that it's only just been republished!

I have a lot of the Bryfogle Batman issues in the loft. Didn't realise there where collections inbound. They're great comics, as I recall....!
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Hawkmumbler

I posted this on the Corto thread but lets pimp this phenomenal set of comics as much as possible, eh?

Corto Meltese and The Ethiopean

Jim_Campbell

If you still haven't picked up my favourite book to work on, Giant Days, perhaps its double Eisner nomination (Best Ongoing and Best Writer for John Allison) might persuade you to take a look! Two TPBs now available, plus the monthly book never requires a huge amount of fore-knowledge to get to grips with.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 20 April, 2016, 08:48:42 AM
I posted this on the Corto thread but lets pimp this phenomenal set of comics as much as possible, eh?

Corto Meltese and The Ethiopean

Seem to be sticking to around a 6 month release on these which is great. Hear this one is particularly good. Which given how good it is normally is pretty damned exciting.

Rately

Long ago lost the reprint editions of Grant / Wagner / Breyfogle. Some fantastic stuff.

Does the first collection feature the Etrigan story?

Breyfogles art was amazing. One of the definitive Batman artists, and just a shame he never had another run at the character, and now probably never will due to his health issues.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Rately on 20 April, 2016, 11:54:53 PM

Long ago lost the reprint editions of Grant / Wagner / Breyfogle. Some fantastic stuff.

Breyfogles art was amazing. One of the definitive Batman artists, and just a shame he never had another run at the character, and now probably never will due to his health issues.
Yup, Tales of the Dark Knight vol.1 features Etrigan, he's even in the cover.

It's a bloody lovely collection, and shows that despite DC's current content being pretty poor, they're repro work is consistantly fantastic for older stuff.

Rately

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 21 April, 2016, 11:05:06 AM
Quote from: Rately on 20 April, 2016, 11:54:53 PM

Yup, Tales of the Dark Knight vol.1 features Etrigan, he's even in the cover.

It's a bloody lovely collection, and shows that despite DC's current content being pretty poor, they're repro work is consistantly fantastic for older stuff.

Well, I know what I'll be doing on payday!

Be great to have all these great comics collected, on my kindle.

Thanks for the reply.

Colin YNWA

Alongside GMozz's Batman run Grant and Breyfogle's is the very best there is on such an iconic character.

Rately

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 21 April, 2016, 09:32:45 PM
Alongside GMozz's Batman run Grant and Breyfogle's is the very best there is on such an iconic character.

It's a fantastic run on Batman.

So many great images provided by Breyfogle, and some great stories and characters dreamed up by Alan Grant. It's a shame Anarky never amounted to much in the wider DC universe, as he was a much more fascinating character than Tim Drake, and would have been a brilliant Robin to play off against Batman.