Main Menu

The 2000 AD Messageboard Advent Calendar 2019!

Started by Pete Wells, 30 November, 2019, 11:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RM147

Funt Solo

ZZZZT ++ DO‰RWǬ ++ UPLÇNK ++ ÑULZ±•E ++ 20î5 ++ Æ/R~BR¶ÐGœ ++ ENÐ
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

RM147

Todays offering from the WONDEROUS GAIL NEDRY.

HERSHEY- HO-HO-HO

Colin YNWA

Funt Solo

++ TAU-ÐؤRWAÝ ++ UþL¶ÑK ++ ÑULZ‰NE ++ 20î5 ++ Æ/R~ßR¶ÐGœ ++ ENÐ
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Another compo this year, with help from Eddie Hitler. It's the Christmas Creeptic Crossword! Every answer is a Dreddworld character - it could be their full name, surname or nickname.  A little bit of past cryptic crossword practice will help, but far more important is a knowledge of Dreddular history (Nothing too obscure though; you won't find O'Rork or Judge Paddy Wilde here).

You can do it over the Christmas period and get your completed entries back no later than the 5th of January (a reasonable screenshot attached to a PM to me will do the trick).

First correctly completed crossword out of the hat wins first prize, which is (compliments of Eddie) a copy of Michael Carroll's book Judges Vol 2 (Avalanche version), signed by the Carroll droid himself. You'll also get a decorative plate printed with my new Dreddhead illustration above, minus the daft hat of course.

Two runners-up get just the plates.

Here's a link to the crossword (and while 24 across is easy enough, I'm quite proud of the clue).
Good luck and Merry Christmas from me and Eddie Hitler!

https://crosswordlabs.com/view/christmas-creeptic-crossword
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Can't seem to post my image, though! Can anyone suggest a method?

Here's a link at least

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-GXzNhB7/0/f6b8af5a/X2/i-GXzNhB7-X2.jpg

JayzusB.Christ

SuperSurfer

2000AD Treasury Special: Giant Hyperhero Holiday Grab-bag
A deluxe edition of 2000AD's mightiest heroes!

Bolt-01

Starting today, and running till Saturday - Rogue Trooper - Silent Night by David Thomas and art machine Scott Twells!

Funt Solo

Sit back and relax with a hot cocoa as you merrily peruse these...

Speech bubbles (known professionally as chatter balloons or, more usually, dialogue simulators or, more accurately, things the characters are saying presented in a rounded container with a little spike that aims towards the speaking character's vocal orifice) were more common cover occurences back in the "good" age of comics, which (as you can see from the data) was before these young 'uns with their new-fangled notions were even born. Back in my day, cover was first page t'story 'n' Mr. 'Erriot shoved his fist up a cow on tele etc.

And so we enjoyed Tharg dressed up as Santa and intoning "Splundig Vur Ho, Ho, Ho!" or Waldo D.R. Dobbs wishing us "Like, Yuletide Greetings, Man!" S'right. By the time 1988 rolls around: having comics actually be comics on the front cover was seen as terribly old-fashioned, like disco (which had been rebranded as techno). Dark times followed, and S-Club-7 were a thing. Tharg looks out at us from the cover of 1990's prog 710, tight-lipped (with a miniature Santa on his lap), desperate to say something but disallowed by the Cool Police of those times. Plus, who wants to pay a letterer page rate for one pithy statement, right?

With a new millenium comes new hope as Dredd orders a purse snatcher (in the cunning guise of a snowman) to "Freeze, creep!" on the cover of 2002's Megazine (volume 4, issue 6). But still, many continued to frown upon this bubbling frivolity, and it's not until 2007 that we get our next cover-mounted verbal dirigible as Dredd enjoys opening up a non-denominational winter gift with a "Ho, Ho Drokkin' Ho, Creeps!" (repeated most recently in 2015 by Judge Santa: clearly a jimp in need of cube time).

But what about that festive slump, where for five gloomy years (1997-2001) there was no cover-mounted celebration of the shared delight that is the season of gifts? It would be easy to blame Bish-Op and, latterly, the entire nation of New Zealand: so let's do that. They're on the other side of the planet, anyway: what can they do? We can all whole-heartedly agree that The Hobbit trilogy clearly cements the case that they're a country of united Chrimbo-haters. Enjoy, then, this season of (northern hemispherical) coverly love...

Journey through time with these glimpses of yesteryears' thrills:
- Thrill-Coma: Best of the Meg - 2015 (Second Half Blinder)
- Stages of 2000 AD - Megazine: Vol. 1
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Bolt-01

Bolt-01